Is there a YouTube example of what 4.0 mph walking looks like?

2»

Replies

• PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    edited April 2015
    I use the basic Runtastic pedometer for Android and it's pretty accurate as far as distance, so speed should also be pretty close. It's based on your estimated stride length according to height vs your number of steps and the length of your workout. Its accuracy also depends on hardware sensitivity (you can make adjustments in the settings), as a lot of people have trouble with it per the reviews. It also syncs your workouts with MFP.
  • Cortelli
    Cortelli Posts: 1,369 Member
    Sounds like you've got the answer you needed. I'll just add that I did something similar to your plan (without the backpack full of groceries - time yourself on your way to the store!). I went on a walk at a preferred pace for determined walking. Once home, I took my car and retraced the route and calculated the miles from the tripmeter and then correlated to the time I spent walking. Found out my "determined walking" pace is approx 3.75 mph. Verified it several different times. I'd have to push and adopt a slightly unnatural gait to hit 4 mph (5'9" male here).
  • uvi5
    uvi5 Posts: 710 Member
    Cortelli wrote: »
    Sounds like you've got the answer you needed. I'll just add that I did something similar to your plan (without the backpack full of groceries - time yourself on your way to the store!). I went on a walk at a preferred pace for determined walking. Once home, I took my car and retraced the route and calculated the miles from the tripmeter and then correlated to the time I spent walking. Found out my "determined walking" pace is approx 3.75 mph. Verified it several different times. I'd have to push and adopt a slightly unnatural gait to hit 4 mph (5'9" male here).
    I have a stop watch now that runs up to 100 hours. So we plan to time with that and do what you said with the tripmeter :smiley: