I HATE fish, chicken breasts and hate whole grains...nasty!

Options

Replies

• anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    I don't love chicken, but do eat it on occasion just to break things up. Because it can't be good to have steak every day.

I get a cooked roasted chicken from a shop & use pieces of it in other things, where I can hide the flavour, like:

- quesadillas (I use greek yogurt instead of sour cream, low fat cheese, no or just a bit of avocado on the side)
    - panini-type sandwiches (with low-fat cheese, A BIT of pesto, leftover steamed or roasted veg. I use just a regular thin sliced rye bread and jam it in my toaster oven)
    - pasta dishes (with tons of veg, usually broccoli which gives good competition to the chicken texture)

I have tried the low-fat ways of cooking fish - poached, steamed, baked - and they're all gross to me unless the fish is wicked fresh. Fried in canola oil, but not battered, is ok (crispy texture; I cut cals from other meals through the day). Oh, grilled can be nice, I find.
  • Ohnoes
    Ohnoes Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    i eat red meat and pork all the time. steak, lean ground beef, tri tip, pork loin.

that being said, i personally try very hard to avoid disliking foods. for years i could not stand the taste of cilantro. but every time it was put in front of me i tasted it. and hated it. after years (and years) it stopped being so offensive to me. i got used to it. now i kind of like it, in small amounts, in appropriate dishes. i hated the fact that my friends were enjoying ceviche and salsa and i was missing out, so i trained myself to like it.

also did this with bananas, fishy tasting fish, etc etc. working in professional restaurant kitchens made this a necessity for me ( i have to be able to taste everything) and i can eat almost anything now. ill never chose cilantro, but i can eat it!
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    That's kind of the attitude a child would have.

I learned to enjoy foods I didn't previously like. I choked them down until my palate adjusted (this included pretty much all vegetables, greek yogurt, water, pouch tuna...list goes on).

I also make myself clean the house and go to work!

You mean like push everything under the bed and have your mom call in sick for you, right?

In fairness, the OP's headline ("nasty"!) is a bit juvenile and she doesn't seem awfully open to suggestions, leading me to wonder why she posted in the first place. I myself would experiment with small portions of new dishes. I don't believe in food anti-aversion therapy by choking down food I can't stand.

agree, being an adult =/= suffering..
  • TheNewDodge
    TheNewDodge Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Est s lot of pork tenderloin. Very lean. And lean cuts of beef. Not eating grains isn't a big deal

I was really surprised how lean/low calorie this is-I bought some on clearance a few weeks ago and got hooked on it :) Price wise it's very reasonable, especially if you can get it on sale or clearance. I paid under $4 for one and a half pounds-got three meals out of it :)

Nutritionally it is awesome. Kinda bland though
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    ok...so don't eat those things. (jeez, how old are you? 3?)
  • InsolentMint
    Options
    How many times?
    It sometimes takes long to adjust to things we didn't previously like.
    Be more open minded about it and explore new options. There's plenty of new healthy choices to be made, even if you don't like all of it.
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    How many times?
    It sometimes takes long to adjust to things we didn't previously like.
    Be more open minded about it and explore new options. There's plenty of new healthy choices to be made, even if you don't like all of it.

I hate to suggest this, because it is an approach used with children, but there are recipes in which the disliked food is ground up until it is barely recognizable and then combined with other foods.

There are so many ways to prepare food that it's hard for me to believe that the OP can't find a couple that are palatable.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    good luck...with your weight gain ...
  • haroon_awan
    haroon_awan Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    If you hate chicken breast, why not try organ meat, eg chicken, pigs or lamb liver? Generally pork and lamb have a 1:1 ratio of protein:fat but organ meats are much the exception and they're very high in protein and are much lower in fa, and they taste great.

I eat organ meats occasionally, but many of them are high in cholesterol. I would check the nutritional profile of foods.

Your body makes more cholesterol on it's own that we don't have to worry about foods containing cholesterol so eat away. I have a craving now for some chicken livers or lambs fry. Yum!

Yep, you don't have to worry about cholesterol in foods unless your doctor has advised you that you need to lower it, same with saturated fats, you need these in your body and they are in fact healthy. Just don't go out eating McDonalds burgers every day.
  • harribeau2012
    harribeau2012 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    That's kind of the attitude a child would have.

I learned to enjoy foods I didn't previously like. I choked them down until my palate adjusted (this included pretty much all vegetables, greek yogurt, water, pouch tuna...list goes on).

I also make myself clean the house and go to work!

You mean like push everything under the bed and have your mom call in sick for you, right?

hahahahaha!!!
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    eat all the meat you want, and make sure to eat the fatty cuts. Not sure where all this lean cuts only BS is coming from.
  • britttttx3
    britttttx3 Posts: 458
    Options
    I hate fish too .I try to eat it but I just don't like it at all
  • KimberlyAndrews1
    KimberlyAndrews1 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all your replies and great advice! I could eat better, but it could be a whole lot worse. .I snack on things like string cheese, triscuits, yogurt, cherry tomatoes and almonds. And usually have corn, beans or green beans for veggies. Occasionally, I eat a salad, but finding a healthy dressing I like is another story. I also eat broccoli, cauliflower and brussel sprouts too. As far as protein, now and then I'll boil an egg and then of course there is my red meats. I'm not one for any other kind of meats other than red meat and occasionally I'll do chicken. But very little chicken and NO FISH! Ick! I've been having some serious issues with my stomach lately. Severe pain, vomiting, diarrhea, hot/cold sweats, severe fatigue/weakness. Sometimes it happens with no food, then other times certain things set it off. For instance I can no longer drink green smoothies, it gives me severe pain. Then today, immediately after I ate an avocado it did it. Doctor wants me to try Zantac, otherwise they wanna do a stomach scan which I can't really afford. So I have to be careful what I eat right now.
  • potatocar
    potatocar Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    It's not a problem getting enough protein without eating any meat, cheese or eggs :)
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    Food is just energy. Eat what you want to eat.
  • niftyafterfifty
    niftyafterfifty Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I eat red meat and pork (including bacon and sausage) on a regular basis; I've lost 40 pounds since joining MFP. I also like chicken, turkey, and whole grains, but you can lose weight without them.
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    If you hate chicken breast, why not try organ meat, eg chicken, pigs or lamb liver? Generally pork and lamb have a 1:1 ratio of protein:fat but organ meats are much the exception and they're very high in protein and are much lower in fa, and they taste great.

I eat organ meats occasionally, but many of them are high in cholesterol. I would check the nutritional profile of foods.

Your body makes more cholesterol on it's own that we don't have to worry about foods containing cholesterol so eat away. I have a craving now for some chicken livers or lambs fry. Yum!

I believe that too much dietary cholesterol is still considered undesirable.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/471374-organ-meats-high-cholesterol-foods/
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    Go to hell!

tumblr_m9r8ijiCmP1rs9x1j.gif

This is possibly the best gif I have EVER SEEN! (Imagine the EVER SEEN said in a really deep, movie trailer voice)
    It makes no sense but I'm literally crying from watching it. You made this thread worthwhile.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Just as I suspected there are some real idiots out there who have nasty comments. Take your nasty attitude and idiot self to some place where some one wants your opinion, but then I doubt anyone does. I have nothing further to say on the subject, so keep running your traps all you want. Your not worth my time and you will be ignored. I HATE people like you ...you disgust me!

Go to hell!

This seems like an overreaction. Most people were trying to be helpful.
  • Gwen_B
    Gwen_B Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    To successfully loose weight, you have to make sacrifices! How bad do you want it?
This discussion has been closed.