Eating extra at work.. Advice needed.

Options
2»

Replies

• segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I always seem to end up at the biscuit table.

It starts by taking ownership of this as a choice. You don't "seem" to end up at the biscuit table; you choose to take yourself there. You choose to help yourself to the food. You choose to eat it.

There are constantly snacks and sweets on offer in my office, too. I used to eat them all the time. When I started back here six months ago, I set myself a goal to go 1 week without touching any office food. Just 1 week. I thought I'd quit halfway through. But I got to the end of the week, and then another week, and another... Eventually, it just became habit to say 'no thanks' or to walk past the basket of chocolates or the box of croissants. And as my coworkers started to get accustomed to my polite refusals, they also gradually stopped offering me stuff as much.

Willpower is a muscle; it gets stronger the more you exercise it.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    I bring my own lunch and snacks, but I also have a rule that I don't eat it until its logged. A cookie that looks fantastic, loses all of it's appeal when it puts you over :smiley:
  • MorganMoreaux
    MorganMoreaux Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    JaneiR36 wrote: »
    JaneiR36 wrote: »
    I just re read what I wrote and it sounds like an exaggeration. I live at the beach and work downtown for an IT company - during tourist season the food options are RIDICULOUS and plentiful.

Living on the beach. Must be nice! (Yeah I'm jealous haha)

Mostly I buy or bring my food, drink my huge cup of coffee. Thankfully I'm not usually too tempted by the stuff when I'm full. Guess it's a different environment, but i usually avoid the morning donuts and instead will make a delicious snack of maybe half complete with coffee later in the afternoon - IF, they're still there. They're usually not...

Love living here but my waistline doesn't lol. I put on 30 pounds the first few weeks here and realized I needed to make some changes lol. You mentioned coffee - I think that really helps keep the hunger at bay as well. I have a small breakfast at the office (usually I juice at the house and then have a banana at work) and have a nice cup of coffee. After lunch I have another cup of coffee and that seems to help keep me sane when people are having ice cream etc (I'm the original ice cream assassin - would eat it by the gallon if it didn't put the weight on.) If it's a particularly tough day, I'll take the elevator to the first floor and make myself walk up the six flights of stairs back to the office, and then do the math on how many times I would have to do that to compensate for the treat I'm obsessing about.

Do you ever go running barefoot on the beach? :bigsmile:

Sometimes. I love going for walks at night - it's beautiful and usually the humidity isn't too bad. I always felt like I was walking on the edge of forever with how the stars and water line up, and the breeze makes it transcendental lol.
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I spent my lunch break today sitting next to a bag of twizzlers with a note on them that said help yourself. I decided that the best way to help myself was to not eat any. Luckily I enjoy the things I pack for my lunches and I always plan in a little something sweet so I never really feel deprived.
  • Auntiezozo81
    Auntiezozo81 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your words of wisdom, I really do appreciate it :smile:
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    Sometimes it takes a change in your thinking, especially if you're eating out of habit or boredom. I used to be a slave to the candy drawer behind my desk. Now I'm a slave to the number. "I could go for a snickers right about now..." check mfp... "Nevermind."
  • captivatedlife
    captivatedlife Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Set you rules: absolutely no eating anything you didn't bring, or will you allow yourself to eat half a cookie every day? Are you going to bring every meal or go out to eat for lunch? If you set your plan/ rules, you will might have a better chance to keep going! Good luck
  • marissafit06
    marissafit06 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    Chewing gum helped me when I snacked at work. So did having a healthier/lower cal snack to go grab. Part of the problem I had is going to the break room was about leaving my desk not about the food. Something else that helped was taking walks instead of grabbing tea for a break. This took me away from the food which I took out of habit and not hunger.
  • pearso21123
    pearso21123 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I keep lots of low calorie snacks at work, plus on days when I work I save my calories for when I get to work since I know I'll want to snack. That way I can still stay at my calorie goal for the day.