5K and 10K races - run alone or with a partner?

Options
2»

Replies

• ksy1969
    ksy1969 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    Yep, when it comes to the race it is about "me, myself, and I". I will train with people, mostly my wife, but when it comes to race time I naturally have a faster pace than her and she knows it. I will start out with her for the first mile or so, but when I am amongst all those other runners, my legs just want to move faster and it shows. We did a half marathon this last weekend and I finished 20 minutes ahead of her and that was after running the 1st mile with her.
  • So_Much_Fab
    So_Much_Fab Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    For 'fun runs' such as the Color me Rad, definitely go with a group because doing those things alone wouldn't be fun at all.

For 'real runs'...if you have someone to run with fine, otherwise there's no drawback at all to being on your own.
  • davemunger
    davemunger Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    I do nearly all of my runs / workouts with friends. But if it's a race, while it's fun to register for the same races as friends, we all agree to run our own pace. You can share battle stories afterwards.

There are a few exceptions, however. A woman I run with is 60 and super fast for her age group. She is trying to break the state record in the 5K for her age group, and so I have done a couple 5Ks with her as a pacer, trying to help her push the pace and get the record (no record yet, but she's getting closer!).

Another time a friend and I agreed to pace each other for the first 5 miles of a 10K, as motivation for both of us to PR. After that, the race was on, and we went all-out to the finish (and we did indeed both PR in the race!).
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    If I'm running for time then I'm solo all the way...I don't need anyone holding me back. If I'm doing a fun run like the Dirty Dash or Warrior Dash or whatever, my wife will do those with me sometimes...they're not for time, so it's not biggie. It just depends on the race.
  • workaholic_nurse
    workaholic_nurse Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I will almost always attend the race with someone, but I run alone and meet up with them at the finish. Have fun!
  • bobf279
    bobf279 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I'm "billy no mates"
  • SloRunner25
    SloRunner25 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I did my first 5K with my dad. He was a great motivator since he has run lots of marathons throughout my childhood. He kept me motivated and acted as my "rabbit" and I tried to catch up to him (and I did to my surprise!). My second 5K is this Sunday and I'm on a team of people ranging in ability from walkers to marathon runners. I may do another 5K alone to see what it's like and make sure I have the mental fortitude to keep myself going as I start increasing into 8Ks and 10Ks.

Personally, I like running with someone else since I train alone. But if you want to test your mental toughness and go for time, then I'd race alone.

The most important part is to have fun. That's why you train so hard right? If it isn't fun then it's not worth doing (at least in my book!).
  • EnviousDan
    EnviousDan Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I love lifting with a partner and I hate running with one. We always seem to be on a different pace and routine. You could go with a person so you don't have to attend alone but I wouldn't worry about keeping up with them or slowing down for them. Meet at the finishline for smiling pictures of all the colors and refreshments!
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I just did my first 5K, and I did it alone. A friend talked me into signing up for a 10K with her in July, and I have told her repeatedly that she is allowed to leave me in the dust. I've signed up for another 5K in a few weeks, and I think my dad's going to sign up with me. When I asked him if he would pace me or leave me behind, he said I'd probably pass him, that he's battling an injury and hasn't run a ton lately, so it seems to me he doesn't expect me to stay with him the whole time.