I'm starting to plateau. I need to shed more body fat.

Options
13»

Replies

• ExRelaySprinter
    ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    dewsmom78 wrote: »
    Why would any man want to be 130 some pounds at 5"10? You said you're at 153? That even seems low. I'd go for eating more and lifting weights. You should be at 170-190.
    Totally agree.
    I'm a woman, 5ft 4" and 133 pounds (and considered quite slim).
    Why would you as a Man (who's 6 inches taller than me) want to be so light....and you're living off 800 cals a day? That's madness! :/
    As others have said, best eat triple what you're eating now and lift some weights if i were you.

• fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    Options
    Allelito wrote: »
    moesis wrote: »
    I can't see how many calories you are intaking since this was initally posted, but as referenced above, 800 is dangerously low.

At that level you are putting your body into starvation mode, it is going to store every single calorie as fat that it possibly can, you are going to get zero muscle growth from working out.

No it won't, don't listen to this.

See, this is why people get confused. Starvation mode, adaptive thermogenesis...two different names for the same concept, really.
  • Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    Pick up Starting Strength - 3rd Edition. Do what our barbell lord and savior Mark Rippetoe asks of you, add in some upper body accessory lifts. Rejoice in your new muscly frame.

This!! I :heart: Starting Strength.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    At that level you are putting your body into starvation mode, it is going to store every single calorie as fat that it possibly can, you are going to get zero muscle growth from working out.

Are you trying to troll or do you seriously believe this garbage?
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    fatcity66 wrote: »
    Allelito wrote: »
    I can't see how many calories you are intaking since this was initally posted, but as referenced above, 800 is dangerously low.

No it won't, don't listen to this.

See, this is why people get confused. Starvation mode, adaptive thermogenesis...two different names for the same concept, really.
    No, not the same concept at all.

• AuburnL
    AuburnL Posts: 13 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Not sure if anyone else has said it yet but OP, if you aren't trolling (and I assume you are not) I'd see a doctor. You sound like you have developed some very disordered eating habits and possibly some very disordered views of your body given your goal weight. Men get eating disorders too and it isn't any more healthy for them than for women. Having been there in my youth I can tell you that the muscle mass you loose eating like that will screw up your metabolism and make it harder and harder to get to and maintain a healthy weight without going to extremes. It isn't worth it! I also distinctly remember that feeling that I couldn't possibly eat more or I would "burst". Once you become accustomed to eating so little you really do start to lose sense of what is normal. But you sound like you are also relatively early into the disordered thinking and now is the time to turn it around!

Honestly arguing about "starvation mode" on a thread where someone is exhibiting very disordered thoughts and behavior around food and exercise is so beside the point. That mindset is very dangerous and can lead to actually starving yourself. Please speak to a professional with experience with disordered eating. I wish you the very best of luck in finding a healthful balance.
  • kozykondition1
    kozykondition1 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    AuburnL is correct. The OP is literally starving himself to death.

The "starvation mode" myth is that you will not lose weight if you restrict your calories too much.

The OP is losing weight. His body is catbolizing his muscles for fuel. His body is holding onto his abdominal fat because he does not eat enough fat and carbs to keep his brain supplied with glucose.

He can't see muscle definition in his upper body not due to having too much subcutanious fat, but because his muscles are small and getting smaller. His legs will follow when his upper body cannot atrophy further. The last of his fat will remain until the end. And then he will die.

Go seek help!

I am a 5'9" tall male and currently weigh 260 pounds. I was formerly 385.

I was also formerly 115.
  • rsaper87
    rsaper87 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I am counting my calories and serving sizes. I portion out everything and it comes out to a total of 786 calories, 10 grams of fat, 48 grams of carbs, and 59 grams of protein. I have been upping the protein and carbs to fuel my body, especially before and during an endurance run. And contrary to some other people's experiences, I am limited on my time. It is easier for me to eat 3 meals than to eat 5 -6. I can't eat bast 6:30 or 7 pm. And I can only have small snacks during the day between lunch and breakfast. It's not like I can step out of the office for a minute, I am in meetings most of the day and have new deadlines each day so it keeps me glued to my workstation. Some of you suggest foods that rich in calories, but it seems that whenever I find something high in calories, a lot of unwanted baggage comes with it, like sugars and transfats which I avoid. I only drink water. When I was drinking fruit juice, that was concentrated sugar and I gained weight, so only water for me. Once a month I'll indulge with a coke zero, but that's it. I even cut out drinking alcohol a year ago. What kinds of foods are pre-made (I can't cook during my work day, although I could prepare food on the weekend and bring it to work) and are rich in calories that don't come with a bunch of unhealthy stuff? I hear mixed reviews from different people on the most appropriate foods for in between meals.
  • Emilia777
    edited April 2015
    Options
    ^^^ THIS.

Also, I eat twice as much protein as you, and almost twice as many calories (cca 1350). I only have two meals a day and a couple of snacks - it’s doable. I really hope you see how your current eating habits are no good.

You didn’t gain weight from the fruit juice, but because you had a caloric surplus. Some people like to demonize things like sugar or carbs. I am not those people. I don’t eat much fruit or sugar because I don’t like it that much and I’d rather have some meat or cheese, not because sugar will somehow change my rate of weight loss - for that, calories in / calories out is all that matters. Also, why can’t you eat past 7 pm? Anyway.

Maybe consider adding in the following to-go foods: full fat (Greek) yogurt, kefir, peanut/almond butter, roasted almonds/cashews/nuts, dark chocolate, hummus & pita/veggies, cheese cubes/slices/triangles, chocolate-covered almonds, guacamole & pita/veggies, bagels & cream cheese, hard-boiled eggs. Just a few things that came to mind.

Finally, I hope you’ll find a way to have a good and healthy relationship with both food and your body. It sounds to me like you’re stressing over it too much. Life’s too short to sweat the small stuff: I focus on calories in/out, macros, and ideally getting enough vitamins.
  • rsaper87
    rsaper87 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I would agree that I am stressing too much. I've always had a problem with being overweight. And as per the link above about eating disorders, I don't feel that I am necessarily in one of those categories, but possibly leaning towards anorexia if anything. When I was 14 I actually did fall into that pattern and I started to lose my hair, and ate practically nothing. But it's different for me now. I love to eat, and if anything am more prone to binge eating than going the other way around. I do love avacados, although they seem to only last one day before going bad, perhaps I need to get better ones, maybe from the farmers market on Granville island. I don't demonize fruit juice or cheese, but I know my body and mind, and I have an addictive personality and if I try something good, it may become a pattern.
  • Emilia777
    edited April 2015
    Options
    rsaper87 wrote: »
    I would agree that I am stressing too much. I've always had a problem with being overweight. And as per the link above about eating disorders, I don't feel that I am necessarily in one of those categories, but possibly leaning towards anorexia if anything. When I was 14 I actually did fall into that pattern and I started to lose my hair, and ate practically nothing. But it's different for me now. I love to eat, and if anything am more prone to binge eating than going the other way around. I do love avacados, although they seem to only last one day before going bad, perhaps I need to get better ones, maybe from the farmers market on Granville island. I don't demonize fruit juice or cheese, but I know my body and mind, and I have an addictive personality and if I try something good, it may become a pattern.

Can it be a controlled pattern? :smile: I can’t imagine going through life not eating things that are “good”. You know yourself, and I of course don’t. All I’m saying is that I’m a firm believer in eating all the foods. I’m losing weight just fine and don’t eliminate anything - in fact, lots of people on here do this. I get where you’re coming from, though, because I tend to get obsessive about things, including eating and tracking calories. I wish I could help, but I’m afraid I’m just not qualified to do that… I do, however, wish you the best of luck, and please consider the advice given here. It worries me to hear about your former habits, and if you don’t mind me saying so, it sounds a bit like you’re slipping towards that without even realizing. Be honest with yourself, and I hope you find a happy medium.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,867 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I have resistance workout 3 days a week, and cardio 3 days a week with yoga on the 7th day. My workouts are about 45 -h long. My usually bicep curls are with 30 lbs weights, shoulder fly and row workouts with 15 lbs weights, and on my leg workout days I do lunges holding 20 lbs weights, (one in each hand, so 40 lbs total) I used to do more reps of less weight, but now I generally do less reps of heavier weights. I do core workouts 3 days a week as well right after my resistance training. When I first started 9 months ago, I weighed 201 lbs, and started the p90x workout, and I lost 50 lbs in 4 1/2 months, and that's when I began to pIateau. I don't consume enough calories so I think my body is holding onto the weight, however I burn an average of 550-570 calories a day, and routinely run 10K and half marathons throughout the year. My daily intake is about 800 calories. Not nearly enough I'd say for a healthy metabolism. But I do understand that to lose weight I need to burn more than my intake. That seems very difficult, assuming someone my height (5'10") is supposed to be intaking 1600-2400 calories a day.

Holy crap batman! Dude did you just say you eat 800 Cal a day, exercise off 550 of that, and net 250 Cal a day? For 9 months now? While running marathons?

And people on these forums are wondering why your are not gaining strength with your exercise routine while you are trying to remove that ugly abdominal fat?

And you are still wondering what to do?

Dude I really hope your logging is so screwed up you're eating double or triple what you think; but, I somehow doubt it. Your diary is closed. Your profile goals don't reflect what you've said or the 50lbs you lost in 4.5 months (which was very fast and points to your deficits being real))

Hey everyone! If the OP was a 19yo female eating 800 and netting 250 what would be your suggestions?

With your current caloric deficit you cannot build muscle. All you are doing is destroying the muscles you have.

You mention the Granville island public market..,

Why don't you go to Bodycomp imaging downtown, and get a DEXA body composition scan and talk to Peter about what you're doing (sorry for doing this to you Peter). Your cost will be $100+tax, and it may well be a $100 that helps you save your life!

Then do yourself, myself, and our tax dollars a favour and head to your GP with your scan results and your plans re future diet and exercise. And discuss all this with your GP, and also discuss what you've been up to these past few months. If you have detailed diary entries in MFP, bring a printout with you.

NOW! Before you end up unconscious in St Paul's or VGH.

Other resources you may want to access...

HealthLink BC: Call 8-1-1 from anywhere in British Columbia to speak with a nurse any time of the day or night. On weekdays, you can speak to a dietitian about nutrition and healthy eating. At night we have pharmacists available to answer your medication questions.
    24-hour, confidential health information and advice.
    Deaf or hearing-impaired: 1.866.889.4700
    Web: http://www.healthlinkbc.ca

http://www.vch.ca/your-health/health-topics/eating-disorders/

Try to be honest with the people you talk to and tell them exactly what you've been doing and are planning to do.

You have my best wishes in your quest for health.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options

You don't love to eat, or you'd have no problems eating more. I can eat 800 cals (or more) in one meal, so don't make excuses about not being able to eat enough calories. People have given you ways to easily increase your calories with the meals you do eat. Do them. If you don't have time to leave your work, prep food to take with you. It's called planning and prep. If you really want to grow, and know you need to eat more to do so, put in the effort to have food available. Eating more will make your appetite increase....you are not hungry because your body has adapted to ridiculously low calories.

Adding calories does not require sugar or transfat. Choose fattier cuts of meat and fish. Eat whole eggs. Eat avocado - learn how to store one properly. Nuts and nut butter. Coconut oil and ghee/butter. Olive oil. Seeds. Etcetera. There are plenty of calorie dense Wholefoods that will increase your calories without adding sugar or transfats .

• ExRelaySprinter
    ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    What kinds of foods are pre-made (I can't cook during my work day, although I could prepare food on the weekend and bring it to work) and are rich in calories that don't come with a bunch of unhealthy stuff? I hear mixed reviews from different people on the most appropriate foods for in between meals.

Maybe try Wholewheat Pasta (you can make up "salads" with it adding Tuna or Chicken w/Veggies and bring it with you to work or Wholewheat Bread Sandwichs.
    Calorific healthy foods: Peanut Butter, Nuts, Avocados, Cheese, Oily fish (Salmon, Mackerel, Tuna in Olive Oil), Beef, Lean Pork, Greek Yoghurt, Dark Chocolate.
    Even having the occasion McDonalds, Pizza or Ice Cream won't do you any harm either.
    Good Luck and hope you get it sorted!

• cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    Op, to sum up every single sensible post in this thread...

EAT MORE FOOD.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you're at an ideal weight for your height.
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    Most people with an eating disorder don't fit perfectly into a category like Anorexia or Bulimia. I work in this area and agree that at least please get an evaluation. A doctor can run labs to check your health, and a psychologist can help you to understand what is going on and figure out the appropriate type of care for you.