Who else suffers if one day is missed out?

Options
How frustrating. To feel like you are going on the right path, only to 'not log' because of one dinner, one lunch, one breakfast missed out on. And to allow that to cause a snowball-effect on the rest of days...

How do you guys deal with this?

Replies

• Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    NO stop the snowball now and get back on track. I gained ten pounds and am fighting back because of a snowball gone wild. It was actually a bad weekend that started it but I didn't stop it in time. Learn from my mistake.
  • JuroNemo14
    JuroNemo14 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I unfortunately also gained too much weight back after a period of 'not fulfilling to what I thought was best', and suffer a lot to get back on track. It feels so 'loose' -for a lack of better words- when I try after breaking a 'streak', I honestly feel no motivation to continue the streak.
  • _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,543 Member
    Options
    MFP is not the end-all, be-all of your overall health. If you didn't log something, it still counts. You will also still be able to function having not logged. This app is a tool. If you want more data, log accurately and consistently. If you're just wanting a general idea of what you're eating and exercise, it doesn't have to be as consistent. I'm just saying do not allow one missed log to be the reason/excuse as to why you give up. Your measure of health goes on with or without this app.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    Why do you skip logging in the first place? Stop doing that and commit to logging everything - good or bad. Not logging a meal because you went overboard doesn't make the meal not exist. I recommend being honest with yourself and seriously committing.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Why do you skip logging in the first place? Stop doing that and commit to logging everything - good or bad. Not logging a meal because you went overboard doesn't make the meal not exist. I recommend being honest with yourself and seriously committing.

Why not follow this? Sticking your head in the ground is dull, just get on with it.

• suhanisuri
    suhanisuri Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Always log! I know it seems like a drag sometimes, or you hate seeing those calories but it honestly does help you. When I go out to eat it can seem annoying, but it's the only way you will learn what you are putting in your body. When I go out, I usually will eat half of the meal and save the other half for the next day. It is a learning process, and it does take time to not beat yourself up over one meal, or something you've eaten. If one day you mess up and eat wayover your calorie limit, don't beat yourself up over it, you are human. Just be more conscious of what you are eating. It will even out in due time. I always hit the gym extra hard or eat extremely healthy the next day, or the next few days and I don't feel as beat up over it.
  • megomerrett
    megomerrett Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I did that over Christmas! This easter I made sure to log even if I went over and do you know what... I did go over but I got right back on it and I'm still on track.
    It's a blip, pick yourself up, dust yourself off and keep on at it.
  • NewMeSM75
    NewMeSM75 Posts: 971 Member
    Options

Agreed. If you eat out and can't find the meal's nutritional values, enter as best as possible. When you cheat on your diary, you're only cheating yourself.
  • nataliejenkins123
    nataliejenkins123 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I love this blog!!!!
    I'm looking for friends that snowball bad like you lot as sometimes I can't control myself... I have just Been on a 4 week binge and ruined all the hard work I've done!!! Furious... Add me please :smiley:
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options

This.

Log it and move on. Just because you go over one day doesn't mean you erase everything you've been working on. Move on to the next meal or day and let it just be a lesson to try and do better.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    JDudez14 wrote: »
    How frustrating. To feel like you are going on the right path, only to 'not log' because of one dinner, one lunch, one breakfast missed out on. And to allow that to cause a snowball-effect on the rest of days...

How do you guys deal with this?

If your expectation is that you are going to be "on" 100% all of the time, I think you're in for a very rude awakening. That's completely unrealistic...accepting that allows you freedom. You have to look at the bigger picture...one day, a special occasion, a holiday, whatever...these things are irrelevant in the grand scheme of things...why would I let these things snowball into other days. It doesn't make any sense to me to celebrate an occasion and just throw up my arms and say, "guess all is lost"...that just makes no sense to me.

You are always going to have good days and bad days and good weeks and bad weeks and you are going to miss workouts here and there, etc...but so long as you are doing what your'e supposed to be doing most of the times, those "bad days" are largely irrelevant to the whole of your life.
  • Michele7091
    Michele7091 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Lizzy622 wrote: »
    NO stop the snowball now and get back on track. I gained ten pounds and am fighting back because of a snowball gone wild. It was actually a bad weekend that started it but I didn't stop it in time. Learn from my mistake.

THIS! I stopped logging one day and that turned into two...and two to three...and so on until I had gained all my weight back minus 5 pounds. All that work I did before? Down the tubes. So I'm essentially starting over again. Don't let one day ruin it for you like I did!!

• tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    I log, even on days I know I will go over--like holidays or celebrations. Even vacation. It keeps the indulgences from going totally out of control.

You've just gotta do it!
  • carliekitty
    carliekitty Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Even if I don't know the exact calories of something I guess and log it. One higher calorie meal doesn't ruin everything. I've had a chocolate scouf fest of 2600/calories and still lost .5 lbs in a week!
  • scotvalkyrie
    scotvalkyrie Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Like many others have said, it's better to just log it, what ever it was, even if you just add quick calories. No one here is going to judge you for going over calories for the day or if you decided that a box of Fruity Pebbles sounded like a great idea for dinner. (I like Fruity Pebbles) Just log it in, take a breath, and keep logging.

Remember to practice Self Compassion!
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Suffer? Seems a bit dramatic, no?
  • scottacular
    scottacular Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I don't see what the issue is, Easter Sunday and Monday I didn't log, the day after I got back to logging, didn't suffer for it. There's no snowball effect to missing a meal or a day, you just resume as normal as soon as you can. Don't stress it.
  • SpeedRacer13
    SpeedRacer13 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Yep. I just log in and record. It's ok to pig out every now and then. Not going to kill ya'
  • jhall260
    jhall260 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    There are times that I don't log stuff, but they are few between. Friday night was a good example. I went to a wine and cheese event. I ate too much, and had some wine. I have no idea of the calories, and I'm not going to guess because it would be way off.

You know what I'm not going to fret it, I had a great time and I also didn't go crazy with all of the food options that were there. One day is not going to take back all the progress that I have made.

I knew I was not going to log the evenings calories - but I still logged the rest of the day to keep my self accountable.
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    Options
    Pick myself up, dust myself off and happily start all over again!!!