124»

Replies

• Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    herrspoons wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    I see a lot of bashing of Shakeology on here, can someone provide some facts on what's wrong with it (other than the price)? Are their claims BS? IF so, how do you know?

please explain to me how it is better than say gold standard whey protein, or, you know, real food????

I'm new to the game here. I'm not defending it, but I AM looking for actual information to the contrary of their claims.

Ok. Tell me the exact ingredients of a Shakeology shake. I can tell you what ON Gold Standard's are.

That's the difference.

Agreed. They have some super secret, proprietary information ingredient that they swear is amazing, but if you have no clue what's in it, there's no clinical trials to support their claims, and most people claiming it's amazing are selling it...

It's not about proving it's bad. It's why bother with a snake oil that could contain anything (or nothing but filler) when you could go with something cheaper with known ingredients.

I actually dug up the ingredients for another Shakeology thread. You can find the greenberry flavour ingredients here: http://images.beachbody.com/tbb/shakeology/PDFs/Greenberry/Greenberry_Supp_Facts_ENGLISH.pdf

Their “superfood” ingredients aren’t that many, not to mention I’m not sure how beneficial all that stuff really is. In fact, if they follow the convention of listing ingredients in order of quantity, about half of their “extracts” are listed after Himalayan salt, so basically in minute quantities.

A Shakeology shake is 130 calories, 17g protein, 13g carbs, 4g fibre. If you’re looking for a substitute, you can get Progressive All-in-one Vegessential, which is is 180 calories, 27 protein, 8g carbs, 7g fibre. Comes to about $3 Canadian per serving.

I like protein shakes after my workouts, but I’m perfectly happy with my whey protein. Slow-release if I’m feeling adventurous.
  • Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Emilia777 wrote: »
    auddii wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    I see a lot of bashing of Shakeology on here, can someone provide some facts on what's wrong with it (other than the price)? Are their claims BS? IF so, how do you know?

please explain to me how it is better than say gold standard whey protein, or, you know, real food????

I'm new to the game here. I'm not defending it, but I AM looking for actual information to the contrary of their claims.

Ok. Tell me the exact ingredients of a Shakeology shake. I can tell you what ON Gold Standard's are.

That's the difference.

Agreed. They have some super secret, proprietary information ingredient that they swear is amazing, but if you have no clue what's in it, there's no clinical trials to support their claims, and most people claiming it's amazing are selling it...

It's not about proving it's bad. It's why bother with a snake oil that could contain anything (or nothing but filler) when you could go with something cheaper with known ingredients.

I actually dug up the ingredients for another Shakeology thread. You can find the greenberry flavour ingredients here: http://images.beachbody.com/tbb/shakeology/PDFs/Greenberry/Greenberry_Supp_Facts_ENGLISH.pdf

Their “superfood” ingredients aren’t that many, not to mention I’m not sure how beneficial all that stuff really is. In fact, if they follow the convention of listing ingredients in order of quantity, about half of their “extracts” are listed after Himalayan salt, so basically in minute quantities.

A Shakeology shake is 130 calories, 17g protein, 13g carbs, 4g fibre. If you’re looking for a substitute, you can get Progressive All-in-one Vegessential, which is is 180 calories, 27 protein, 8g carbs, 7g fibre. Comes to about $3 Canadian per serving.

I like protein shakes after my workouts, but I’m perfectly happy with my whey protein. Slow-release if I’m feeling adventurous.

Thanks for that. That mix isn't materially better than a protein shake's.

Yeah, it really isn’t anything special. If anything, the calorie-protein ratio is pretty subpar in comparison. It boggles my mind that they’re making SO much money with what is basically overblown claims and smoke screens.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    samerz816 wrote: »
    I currently drink Chocolate Shakeology for breakfast (with 2 tbsp PB2, 1/2 a frozen banana, and 1/2 cup of skim milk) and I'm reaching the bottom of the bag. Before I reorder, I wanted to get some input about some alternatives to the product. I love Shakeology, but it's a bit pricey. While I'm not totally against the price for what you get, I'm certain there are other products out there that provide the same nutrients at a much lower cost.

Please keep in mind I am looking for COMPARABLE products. In other words, I'm not interested in hearing about dozens of protein shakes that are JUST protein shakes. Shakeology provides a lot of additional nutrients that a lot of protein shakes don't (and need a multi-vitamin to offset). Again, this is not an option I'm against - but for now, I'm trying to get just one product that is COMPARABLE to Shakeology. I know nothing will be exact, but if it's close enough and saves me $25-50 a month, then I'll take it :)

Thanks!

Food.