10 things I wish all new MFP members knew

Options
1. Eat back workout calories. MFP adds them into your daily total for a reason! You need that energy.

2. Eat at least 1200 every day (many, many people need more than that.)

3. Yes, it is okay to eat XYZ in moderation.

4. Yes, you do need to workout if only a little.

5. Don't weigh in every day. Water and hormones make weight fluctuate wildly.

6. Not everyone wants your unsolicited advice and judgments, even if you're only trying to help. Respect boundaries.

7. It's okay to keep your diary closed- or open for everyone!

8. Slow loss = good loss. It adds up.

9. Indulging sometimes is totally okay.

10. We're all here with a common goal, so don't be a jerk.

BONUS: Everyone's got a different body! We are all shaped differently, we work differently. Get to know your own and don't compare it with others.

Replies

• adairbrum
    adairbrum Posts: 68
    Options
    Yes that sums it up very well!!!!
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    I agree with all of the above and would like to add:

11. There is no miracle pill, wrap or other snake oils that will lose the weight for you. Only a calorie deficit will do that (and exercise can aid in that goal).
  • SarahSmilesCA
    SarahSmilesCA Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Great post...I would only add that it is important to add lean tissue to your body as you lose weight to maintain your weight loss, so insure you eat enough protein every day and working out is critical to weight management and health.

You can lose a 100 lbs but if you can't keep it off what good was the experience.
  • brower47
    Options
    Great post...I would only add that it is important to add lean tissue to your body as you lose weight to maintain your weight loss, so insure you eat enough protein every day and working out is critical to weight management and health.

You can lose a 100 lbs but if you can't keep it off what good was the experience.

Unfortunately, you can't add lean tissue (muscle) while at a calorie deficit but you can try to maintain what you already have. In doing that, adequate protein intake along with a weight training regimen is highly recommended.
  • Jmercerq
    Jmercerq Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    5b. I weigh in every day, but I use Trendweight (www.trendweight.com) which uses statistical analysis to average out the curves. It helps me keep from getting cocky when I lose 5 lbs in one day or despairing when I go just as high in the other direction.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    i'm with ya !
  • FussyFruitbat
    FussyFruitbat Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    5b. I weigh in every day, but I use Trendweight (www.trendweight.com) which uses statistical analysis to average out the curves. It helps me keep from getting cocky when I lose 5 lbs in one day or despairing when I go just as high in the other direction.

That's totally fair.
  • ravenrxx
    ravenrxx Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    Yep!!
  • PlayerHatinDogooder
    PlayerHatinDogooder Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    11. Threads telling people to be nice usually doesn't result in people being nice.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    12. Don't rely on only the scale. Track your progress through measurements, how clothes fit, and progress photos as well.
  • SarahSmilesCA
    SarahSmilesCA Posts: 261 Member
    Options

Unfortunately, you can't add lean tissue (muscle) while at a calorie deficit but you can try to maintain what you already have. In doing that, adequate protein intake along with a weight training regimen is highly recommended.

Actually I have done both in the last six month, lost 45 lbs and added 5 lbs of muscle tissue. I did it with Leangains and Intermittent Fasting. You eat a deficit on rest days and a surplus on weight training days.

I know a lot of people at the gym who have done the same thing. I have a friend who has went from 230 to 180. She looks like she weighs ALOT less because of the muscle tissue. It all about your goals. Losing weight fast is not what its all cracked up to be and sets you up for metabolic resistance later. In other words having to live and maintain on ALOT less than your normal TDEE.

It is not all about weight loss. If you just do a calorie deficit and you never refeed or work out you will burn your lean tissue and gain all your weight loss back in a very little time. It is the number one problem with weight loss. Not getting there, but keeping it off.

I will also add that in six months I probably could have lost MORE weight, but muscle tissue was so important to me that I was more than willing to take my time to build muscle tissue in this process.
  • hopefloatsup
    hopefloatsup Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Absolutely LOVE the list. SOOOO true! I know some people who are also on meds, but are limiting themselves to a 400-600 calorie diet and freak out if they go over it. I don't get it. I eat back my calories for the most part, and ya know what, sometimes I go 10 or so calories over. I don't freak out. :wink:
  • FussyFruitbat
    FussyFruitbat Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Absolutely LOVE the list. SOOOO true! I know some people who are also on meds, but are limiting themselves to a 400-600 calorie diet and freak out if they go over it. I don't get it. I eat back my calories for the most part, and ya know what, sometimes I go 10 or so calories over. I don't freak out. :wink:

That's a serious sign of an eating disorder. Please let your friend know they need to seek help!
  • callandert
    callandert Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Love your list! With special mention of #6 and #10...play nice :)
  • brower47
    Options

Actually I have done both in the last six month, lost 45 lbs and added 5 lbs of muscle tissue. I did it with Leangains and Intermittent Fasting. You eat a deficit on rest days and a surplus on weight training days.

I know a lot of people at the gym who have done the same thing. I have a friend who has went from 230 to 180. She looks like she weighs ALOT less because of the muscle tissue. It all about your goals. Losing weight fast is not what its all cracked up to be and sets you up for metabolic resistance later. In other words having to live and maintain on ALOT less than your normal TDEE.

It is not all about weight loss. If you just do a calorie deficit and you never refeed or work out you will burn your lean tissue and gain all your weight loss back in a very little time. It is the number one problem with weight loss. Not getting there, but keeping it off.

I will also add that in six months I probably could have lost MORE weight, but muscle tissue was so important to me that I was more than willing to take my time to build muscle tissue in this process.

Then we agree. You can't add muscle at a calorie deficit. When you're adding muscle, you're at a calorie surplus.

That said, there's no way you put on 5lbs of muscle in six months. Men who specially train and eat for a year have a hard time putting on 6 lbs of muscle over the course of a year.
  • singmyheartout4you
    Options
    Love this! Wonderfully put :)
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    If I could add one more it would be "Don't panic. It's only fitness. No one is dying, especially not you."
  • beckyzalldat
    beckyzalldat Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Well said!! I wish I woulda had this to read when I started :)
  • mykhaelkhan
    mykhaelkhan Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Good list, but the only one I disagree with is weighing everyday. Studies have shown that people who weigh everyday are less likely to gain weight than people who don't because they are constantly vigilant and mindful of their weight. But like everything it's not for everybody.
  • Shadowcub
    Shadowcub Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Love the list! And although I've been here almost 2 weeks now, I think I've got most of those figured out. *smiles*