10 things I wish all new MFP members knew

Options

Replies

• Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    Apparently every lb lost is fat and every lb gained is water.. I didn't know this until I started reading MFP forums.
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    I agree with the following:

"3. Yes, it is okay to eat XYZ in moderation.

4. Yes, you do need to workout if only a little.

6. Not everyone wants your unsolicited advice and judgments, even if you're only trying to help. Respect boundaries. [But don't post if you can't take responses that disagree with your view.]

7. It's okay to keep your diary closed- or open for everyone!

9. Indulging sometimes is totally okay.

10. We're all here with a common goal, so don't be a jerk.

BONUS: Everyone's got a different body! We are all shaped differently, we work differently. Get to know your own and don't compare it with others. "
  • ksimmons19
    ksimmons19 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    6. Not everyone wants your unsolicited advice and judgments, even if you're only trying to help. Respect boundaries.

Pot, meet kettle. Kettle, meet pot.

^^^^^:smokin:
  • anewlife1980
    anewlife1980 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Great list!!
  • leomom72
    leomom72 Posts: 1,797 Member
    Options
    bahaha..i love it:drinker:
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    Please don't tell me what to do, eat, or how to live my life. :)
  • SoViLicious
    SoViLicious Posts: 2,633 Member
    Options
    One thing I wish all MFP members knew is to not make self-righteous posts about newer people who are beginners and ignorant as if they themselves came here knowing everything.

How is this self-righteous?
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    If I wanna make mai sketti with kachup... ima gunna dew it!
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    One thing I wish all MFP members knew is to not make self-righteous posts about newer people who are beginners and ignorant as if they themselves came here knowing everything.

Because it imparts a "holier than thou" attitude towards beginners. Not only that, but it is only partial information. I understand that it can be frustrated seeing the same posts and mistakes everyday by new people, but they are starting from the beginning, just like most of us, and are overwhelmed with the sheer amount of misinformation there is out there. Starting a "Things I wish new members knew" post doesn't particularly help anyone as much as it is chest puffing. The OP, for example, just two months ago was wondering if a slice of pizza would sabotage her weight loss attempts. She has since learned better.
  • littlepinkhearts
    littlepinkhearts Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options
    If I wanna make mai sketti with kachup... ima gunna dew it!

hahaha yu make all the sketti yu want with kachup!!! wee nuh judge haha
  • melchmr
    melchmr Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks !
  • sassy616
    sassy616 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Yes!
  • SoViLicious
    Options

Because it imparts a "holier than thou" attitude towards beginners. Not only that, but it is only partial information. I understand that it can be frustrated seeing the same posts and mistakes everyday by new people, but they are starting from the beginning, just like most of us, and are overwhelmed with the sheer amount of misinformation there is out there. Starting a "Things I wish new members knew" post doesn't particularly help anyone as much as it is chest puffing. The OP, for example, just two months ago was wondering if a slice of pizza would sabotage her weight loss attempts. She has since learned better.

Well from what I am reading I don't think she is being a know-it-all. However I do think that from this post she will receive numerous FR from people thinking that she can offer a solution to their problems. Please understand, that post such as these comes with responsibility. I would never post anything of this caliber because, the reality is I do not have the answer and the last thing I need is to have people asking me what to do. My answer to everything is often to drink vodka.
  • TArnold2012
    TArnold2012 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    Well put
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options

Well from what I am reading I don't think she is being a know-it-all. However I do think that from this post she will receive numerous FR from people thinking that she can offer a solution to their problems. Please understand, that post such as these comes with responsibility. I would never post anything of this caliber because, the reality is I do not have the answer and the last thing I need is to have people asking me what to do. My answer to everything is often to drink vodka.

Therein lies another issue. Those people looking for answers may be getting only half-truths. :frown:
  • SoViLicious
    Options

Therein lies another issue. Those people looking for answers may be getting only half-truths. :frown:

You win this round... I just took off my left sock.
  • taylorckt1
    taylorckt1 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Love this post!
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options

I think everyone is occasionally tempted to post their "rules" for success. But then we remember that everyone is in a different position, we don't have all the facts, and almost none of us have any formal medical or nutritional training. If someone asks, I'll happily tell them what I do, but it's never meant as a universal answer.

People eventually learn to observe what works for them and to use their own judgment or they don't.
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    And there ends the `potential car crash`?
  • amoeba15
    amoeba15 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    If you must weigh in daily remember, the scale does NOT only weigh fat, it also weighs bones, clothes, stomach contents, organs,water, and waste. You did not gain 5 pounds of fat overnigt, nor did you lose it.

I weigh first thing in the morning on an empty stomach, after pooping, naked, and with a scale that accounts for body fat. Check. Mate.