Protein?

Options
124»

Replies

• wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,578 Member
    Options
    I struggle to get 100g of protein, heck even 80 is a challenge. 200 seems absurdly high.
  • Jozzmenia
    Jozzmenia Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    MrM27 wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    MrM27 wrote: »
    lnt3083 wrote: »
    Way too much protein. You're not bodybuilding are you? You're trying to lose weight and retain the muscle you already have right? I'm 5'10 and was 205. I'm 172 now and I get 80-105 grams of protein. You must strength train also to help retain muscle. Its said a gram of protein per pound of body weight. Again..I believe that's for bulking and bodybuilding.

1g per lb isn't necessary. .6-. 87g per lb of bodyweight will suffice.

She's 255 and 6' -- 200 is a nice round number that happens to be about .78 grams per lb of bodyweight. Seems not crazy, especially if she's aiming for it and not freaking if she doesn't hit it and if she's eating the calories she said she's eating.

Hitting 200g isn't going to do anything particularly special and what I'm saying is that if doesn't approach at all it and isn't going to be some detrimental situation. She's 255 and a bit of the lbm that she has accumulated with be leaving regardless as she loses weight.

Oh, I agree that 200 grams isn't necessary, but if she's been at 100 or below (as stated) that's pretty low given her size, and the RD isn't off-base to say aim at 200 when eating a pretty substantial calorie total. I'd hope maybe adjust if it proves to be hard or perhaps as they lower overall calories. It doesn't sound as if OP is freaking out about getting precisely to 200, but saying it's a huge jump.

200 would be silly for me and for many others, but I think people were ignoring that OP is 255 and at 6' likely has some decent LBM as part of that.

Yea most I've gotten to is 184. Some days seem harder than others. But i don't freak out if i don't get to 200, but keep trying so it makes me up my protein at least. I find myself searching for things high in protein when I get behind.
  • Jozzmenia
    Jozzmenia Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    nancyjay__ wrote: »
    gothchiq wrote: »
    I would honestly be very cautious in eating mass quantities of protein. Over a sustained period of time, this can be damaging to your kidneys.

This reminds me make sure you eat your FIBER! you dont wanna eat 200g of protein without the proper FIBER to match that :o

Today i had 118 in protein, 21g of fiber. How much fiber should i shoot for??
  • nancyjay__
    nancyjay__ Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Jozzmenia wrote: »
    nancyjay__ wrote: »
    gothchiq wrote: »
    I would honestly be very cautious in eating mass quantities of protein. Over a sustained period of time, this can be damaging to your kidneys.

This reminds me make sure you eat your FIBER! you dont wanna eat 200g of protein without the proper FIBER to match that :o

Today i had 118 in protein, 21g of fiber. How much fiber should i shoot for??

To be honest I've never really had an exact number I aim for. I usually gauge it by how many number of meals I need to have with a cup full of a dark leafy green veggie. I try to have brocolli, spinach, kale asparagus etc. With at least 66% of my meals and I say a % BC sometimes I have 3 meals and sometimes I have 6 meals.

But....I did some quick research and it looks like you want 14g of fiber for every 1000 cals or for women 25grams of fiber daily. Both kind of do correlate with your 2k cal diet