Deep Fried items

Options
How do you "measure" the oil in a deep fried food?

Completely clueless on this one..

Replies

• onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    lol I add a couple hundred calories and am probably off :/ I just try not to eat deep fried foods that often...
  • kbxiii
    kbxiii Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    A couple hundred!!

Had it coming lol
  • Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    Double the calories of the item being deep fried is a safe estimate.
    That takes into account the batter and oil.
  • spilledmilk
    spilledmilk Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I've wondered this also. I don't deep fry, but I do pan fry chicken for my homemade orange chicken or "chicken wings" (pieces of chicken breast covered in corn starch)

I usually add a couple tablespoons of whatever I used to batter it (egg, flour, corn starch etc.) and a few tablespoons of oil to the calorie counter. May not be accurate but I try to overestimate.

If anyone has a better way to measure let us know!!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    and this is why I haven't dug my deep fryer out in almost 2 years except to make donuts.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    I've wondered this also. I don't deep fry, but I do pan fry chicken for my homemade orange chicken or "chicken wings" (pieces of chicken breast covered in corn starch)

I usually add a couple tablespoons of whatever I used to batter it (egg, flour, corn starch etc.) and a few tablespoons of oil to the calorie counter. May not be accurate but I try to overestimate.

If anyone has a better way to measure let us know!!

thats how i do it lol

if you want to REALLY know (as close as possible, anyways) you can measure the amount of oil you have left AFTER you fry. same for batter.

but i just rough it. so far its working for me, but should i ever need to buckle down, i do at least know where to do so ;) LOL
  • MelWick524
    MelWick524 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Camo_xxx wrote: »

What about like fried mushrooms? If I ate them deep-fried and battered, it'd probably be like 20 times the calories of the same amount of mushrooms raw, lol. Unless I interpreted your response wrong. Oh, plus the ranch dressing. Oh, the ranch dressing. How I miss fried mushrooms. They're ALMOST worth blowing it, lol.
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options

Good advice but may not work for deep fried veggies :wink:

• mch2829
    mch2829 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    If you really wanted to be accurate, you could carefully measure the oil you pour in. Let the food drip in a basket instead of blotting with a napkin. Then measure the oil that's left. The difference is what ended up in your food. But that's a little too much work. Normally fried foods have 1.5-2x as many calories. So just double to be safe.
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I dont deep fry anything anymore. I use my oven.
    Like frys, i cut up some potatoes, do some PAM spray on aluminium foil and do them in the oven for 45 minutes. Same with chicken mushrooms, onion rings etc etc.

They all come out nice and crispy
  • Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options

Good advice but may not work for deep fried veggies :wink:

Nope, it probably would not.
    I just use my double guesstimate for the occasional deep fried thing I may eat 3 or 4 times a year.
    I would suggest finding an actual database entry if you eat deep fried foods more then occasionally.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    and this is why I haven't dug my deep fryer out in almost 2 years except to make donuts.

Did you say donuts?
    t92zn8d67apa.jpeg
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    I don't. The only thing I eat that gets deep fried is the tofu from my favorite Chinese restaurant. When I am having a meal from there, I quick log 1000 calories, and call that day a bust. A delicious, greasy, bust. ;)
  • Fentyman
    Fentyman Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    So deep fried foods is bad food! (Just cause I want to be starting something)
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Fentyman wrote: »

Nope. High calories does not equal bad.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options

HECK NO!
    kaohr5h5eibp.jpeg
  • denali26
    denali26 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    randomtai wrote: »

Um... I believe he was joking.

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    My jam doughnut was 230 calories

That's the same as two slices bread

• randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    denali26 wrote: »

How do you know? :huh:
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    denali26 wrote: »

How do you know? :huh:

I remember him from another "bad food" thread. I am pretty sure he's joking here, especially combined with the comment about "starting something."