Replies

• denali26
    denali26 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    randomtai wrote: »
    denali26 wrote: »
    Fentyman wrote: »
    So deep fried foods is bad food! (Just cause I want to be starting something)

Nope. High calories does not equal bad.

Um... I believe he was joking.

How do you know? :huh:

Because he said "( just cause I want to be starting something)"

• randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options

I remember him from another "bad food" thread. I am pretty sure he's joking here, especially combined with the comment about "starting something."

*shrug* I don't know him... I only know what is written.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    This is so lame, but I'll pick whatever I made at the worst restaurant I can find. So if I made home made french fries (which I never have) I'd pick like Denny's french fries since I can think of no worse a restaurant.

For donuts, I caved and bought the donut shaped baking pan. Baked donuts are not the same...with the exception of my baked apple cider donuts which are rolled in cinnamon sugar.
  • jiigglybutt
    jiigglybutt Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Has anyone had deep fried salad?! Omg. dipped in ranch... That happens once a year :x
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

I remember him from another "bad food" thread. I am pretty sure he's joking here, especially combined with the comment about "starting something."

*shrug* I don't know him... I only know what is written.

I didn't think that you should remember him. I was just providing context, which you may -- of course -- disregard.
  • NewMeSM75
    NewMeSM75 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    Haven't deep fried salad but have brushed romaine lettuce with oil and grilled ! OMG! Yum!
  • North44
    North44 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I dont deep fry anything anymore. I use my oven.
    Like frys, i cut up some potatoes, do some PAM spray on aluminium foil and do them in the oven for 45 minutes. Same with chicken mushrooms, onion rings etc etc.

They all come out nice and crispy

Yes we do the Pam spray trick too. It works on chicken and fish too
  • cemari910
    Options
    It depends on what you're frying (absorption), how clean the oil is(absorption) as well as the type of oil used(cooking time/time spent frying)
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Depends on the food. Dense food like unbreaded chicken absorb less, but more if breaded. Starchy things tend to absorb more. Some foods like eggplant are literal sponges. It also depends on the temperature of the oil. Even you decide to go through the hassle of before/after measuring, how do you account for evaporation? Too many variables to consider, so I usually add 2 tablespoons of oil to be safe.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    I don't eat a lot of fried food. When I do, I approximate and know I can't be totally accurate.

In theory you could weigh an item before frying and again after, and the difference is oil. BUT what if some of the moisture is cooked out? Then it would lose water weight and gain oil weight.
    kbxiii wrote: »
    How do you "measure" the oil in a deep fried food?

Completely clueless on this one..

• Charlot4444
    Charlot4444 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    North44 wrote: »
    Like frys, i cut up some potatoes, do some PAM spray on aluminium foil and do them in the oven for 45 minutes. Same with chicken mushrooms, onion rings etc etc.

So you just spray some foil ? Then put the fish on it and bake it. I'll have to google when I get home. I love fish... But fried fish. Trying to find a healthier way

• NewMeSM75
    NewMeSM75 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    If I oven fry anything, I prefer to coat in panko bread crumbs. They crisp better in my opinion.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options

It's true. My cousin's friend was killed by deep fried food.
  • North44
    North44 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    North44 wrote: »

So you just spray some foil ? Then put the fish on it and bake it. I'll have to google when I get home. I love fish... But fried fish. Trying to find a healthier way

You can spray the foil and also just a spritz to the actual food- not too much. That way it crisps up the top, not just the bottom. We really like the olive oil Pam.
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    yes spray the foil and a bit on the top of the food.
    With frys i turn them after a half hour so they get crispy

I make potato chips this way too with all kind of spices very yummie and low(er) in calories than store bought
  • slucki01
    slucki01 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I don't deep fry
  • NikonPal
    NikonPal Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    I have “almost” eliminated fried foods from my diet.

BUT – I love my fried fish. So, I pre-plan 2 or 3 times a month for roughly 6 oz. of battered haddock and sometimes add a small order of fries / coleslaw .5 cup. If I have it all with a New England roll as a sandwich it becomes my most calorie intensive single meal in the month coming in at about 800 calories. Most meals I eat are less than 350 calories (excluding mid-morning or afternoon and/or night snack).

I actually re-weigh everything when I get home from the fish fry place. I simply use the numbers available on MFP because of the minimal intake of fried food. I haven’t had fried chicken since 2013.

There is no deprivation – I slowly changed my eating habits and don’t miss it. Best wishes.

73641431.png
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    Just eat the deep fried mars bar and let your worries drift away.
  • MamaRiss
    MamaRiss Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I've always wanted to buy a deep fryer. But am too scared. I was badly burned by one as a baby, so I can't bring myself to buy one while my kids are still little. But someday, I am totally making home made donuts