Ladies - Who lost 100+ with lifting heavy???

Options
13»

Replies

• dthreeus
    dthreeus Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Sorry, not a lady, but interesxted in the string anyway - just started lifting again - but when you say 8-10 reps, are you targeting a single set, or multiple sets? So when you get to 10 reps consistently with a weight, is the game plan to bump up to a higher weight, until you can consisitently do 10 reps again, etc. etc.?
    Thanks for clarifying.
  • JanetLynnJudy
    JanetLynnJudy Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I was lifting 5 days a week last summer through November (was going with my SO and switched over to and hour a day of other exercises - elliptical/bike at home and/or walking/jogging intervals at the track when he got busy with school), but I'm really wanting to start lifting again (planning to rejoin the gym next pay). We had a routine going where we would alternate "push" and "pull" days Monday through Thursday then do a killer leg day on Friday (allowing some rest time for muscles so we weren't working the same things every day). Exercises included Bench Press, Incline Bench Press, Decline Bench Press, Barbell Row, Shrugs, Overhead Barbell Press, Curls, Lat Pulldowns, Squats, Deadlifts, Seated Calf Raise, Leg Curls, Leg Press, etc. Depending on what day it was we would pick a few and do 3 sets of 10 or sometimes more depending. We would sometimes switch it up and do less reps of a heavier weight or more reps of a lighter weight (usually trying to be as close to failure as safely and reasonably possible). After lifting we would would go to the track and do regular and inverse crunches then intervals of walking and jogging. He planned everything since he had experience with lifting and we kept track of everything in a journal. Of course I have also greatly modified my diet, but it was definitely a big contributing factor in my weight loss of 107.6 lbs! The gym we went to was full of serious lifters and I was literally the only fat girl I ever saw there, but everyone was very friendly and helpful.
  • oohashbee
    oohashbee Posts: 21
    Options
    I'm curious about this as well. I just started going to the gym two weeks ago and started strength training at 305 pounds. I'm doing about 30-45 minutes of cardio per day as well so I'm not cutting that out entirely. Any other ladies start off in the 300s lose with lifting??
  • 9jenn9
    9jenn9 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I haven't cut out cardio all together, and I won't. The health benefits far outweigh my boredom. Right now, I do cardio on my non-lifting days, and I mix it up... 20 mins on the treadmill, 20 mins on the elliptical, and 20 mins on the bike. Spending much more than 20 minutes on any one thing and I just want to bang my head against the wall! LOL It doesn't help that our little gym has only one elliptical (which is my favorite of the 3), and no tv's or anything, so when I am on it, I have my music in my ears, but I have no choice but to stare at the same building across the street. haha I am going to try doing more walking outdoors. I live right next to the local middle school, so I can walk to that track and walk anytime, and I get to take my dog with me.

I'm not sure what your fitness level is, but have you considered adding interval training / HIIT to your cardio? I'll do this on a running track or treadmill, but you can even do it on the elliptical. You can shorten your time spend on the soul-crushing cardio machines if you do intervals, and it definitely makes the time pass.

I'm completely a fan of HIIT and supersets. Cardio machines bore me to death, so intervals (hill or speed), make it much more interesting. Painful? Yes, but I can do just about anything in short bursts if I know a break is coming! Plus it torches calories and increases your cardio fitness like crazy. I can finish my cardio workout in 30 to 35 minutes, leaving plenty of time for weights.
  • TheShrinkingKween
    TheShrinkingKween Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I've been hearing more and more about interval training, and I tried a form of it the other day on the elliptical. I have done some additional research since then and realized I was a little whack in how I was doing it, but I had the basic idea. I think I am going to add that tonight when I go. I already walked 2 miles at the track with my dog today, so I'm just going to do the elliptical and bike tonight. Someone mentioned the intervals could be speed OR level, so when I do the "fat burning" or "strength" programs on the stationary bike, and it takes it up so it's really hard to peddle and then back down, and so on, is that the same thing? I switched to that a couple of weeks ago instead of just steady peddling, and it really makes a difference. I can really feel the burn in my legs and I actually feel like I'm getting something out of the ride. On other thing... Do any of you do the circuit thing? Including bursts of cardio worked in periodically throughout your lifting routine? I've been reading more on that as well and it appears that's a way to burn a lot more calories with your strength training. And since it's short bursts, I might be able to handle that a little better.
  • Summer5555
    Summer5555 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I haven't cut out cardio all together, and I won't. The health benefits far outweigh my boredom. Right now, I do cardio on my non-lifting days, and I mix it up... 20 mins on the treadmill, 20 mins on the elliptical, and 20 mins on the bike. Spending much more than 20 minutes on any one thing and I just want to bang my head against the wall! LOL It doesn't help that our little gym has only one elliptical (which is my favorite of the 3), and no tv's or anything, so when I am on it, I have my music in my ears, but I have no choice but to stare at the same building across the street. haha I am going to try doing more walking outdoors. I live right next to the local middle school, so I can walk to that track and walk anytime, and I get to take my dog with me.

Sounds exactly the same routine as mine. I have only lost 25 pounds since I started MFP and lifting heavy (for me) but I have dropped 3 dress sizes so don't rely on scales to give you the numbers you want. It's definately doable but it just takes a little longer on the scales to show but the plus side is you will have a much nicer result in the end, just look at all the afters of girls who lift.
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    Sorry, not a lady, but interesxted in the string anyway - just started lifting again - but when you say 8-10 reps, are you targeting a single set, or multiple sets? So when you get to 10 reps consistently with a weight, is the game plan to bump up to a higher weight, until you can consisitently do 10 reps again, etc. etc.?
    Thanks for clarifying.

This is an example routine using varying rep ranges.
    Yes, if you got all the reps this week, next week, try for 1 more rep.
    If you get through the cycle and can do all your reps on that particular exercise,
    then you can add 10% of the weight, and start back again at 8 reps.
    If you can't do all 12, you repeat that weight, but this is ok, you are still gaining strength.
    Don't be discouraged.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=147447933

Originally Posted by all pro
    A Simple beginner's Routine
    You will do 3 work outs per week on non consecutive days. The first work out is your heavy work out. The second work out is your medium work out, use 10% less weight for your work sets. The final work out for the week is your lite work out, use 20% less weight.

Do a lite warm up with 1/4 of your work sets weight. Do a medium warm up with 1/2 of your work sets weight. Do 2 work sets with the same weight. Choose a starting weight and start light.

These are the seven exercises you will be starting with.

Squats
    Bench Presses
    Bent-Over Rows
    Overhead Barbell Presses
    Stiff-Legged Deadlifts
    Barbell Curls
    Calf Raises

You will be running this program on a five week cycle as follows:
    The first week do all 4 sets for 8 reps.
    The second week do all 4 sets for 9 reps.
    The third week do all 4 sets for 10 reps.
    The fourth week do all 4 sets for 11 reps.
    The fifth week do all 4 sets for 12 reps.
    If you got all of the required reps on the fifth week then increase the weight by 10% and

repeat the cycle. If you didn't get all of the reps on the fifth week then repeat the cycle with the same weight. You shouldn't need more than one minute rest between the warm up sets and you shouldn't need more than one minute thirty seconds between the work sets.
    Do some cardio and abs work on non weight training days.
  • katy_trail
    Options
    I've been hearing more and more about interval training, and I tried a form of it the other day on the elliptical. I have done some additional research since then and realized I was a little whack in how I was doing it, but I had the basic idea. I think I am going to add that tonight when I go. I already walked 2 miles at the track with my dog today, so I'm just going to do the elliptical and bike tonight. Someone mentioned the intervals could be speed OR level, so when I do the "fat burning" or "strength" programs on the stationary bike, and it takes it up so it's really hard to peddle and then back down, and so on, is that the same thing? I switched to that a couple of weeks ago instead of just steady peddling, and it really makes a difference. I can really feel the burn in my legs and I actually feel like I'm getting something out of the ride. On other thing... Do any of you do the circuit thing? Including bursts of cardio worked in periodically throughout your lifting routine? I've been reading more on that as well and it appears that's a way to burn a lot more calories with your strength training. And since it's short bursts, I might be able to handle that a little better.

no. you're missing the point.
    intervals are fine, but intense workouts need to be limited to 20 mins. If you prefer a steady state workout or light cardio
    then a longer workout is fine, but the exercise is not for burning calories. It is for changing your body composition and improving your fitness. You build or maintain the muscle with lifting. Cardio improves circulation, recovery, cardio vascular benefits.

this is NOT about training yourself ragged trying to do marathon training sessions on the elliptical and heavy lifting at the same time. Pick one to focus on. cardio endurance OR heavy lifting. you can't build muscle and train for a marathon at the same time.
    and what happens if you do? well you'll feel like roadkill that's what. you'll get sick more easily, fatigued, and because you're not recovering the way you should your muscles can't rebuild during your rest days as well as they would if you follow the program.
    i've done it. it's not worth it. then you're stuck with no workouts and a bunch of rest days.

why not just follow the program? heavy lifting is time efficient, and about 10 pages of other benefits and reasons why I do it.
    but it's not for the calorie burn, or at least not the calorie burn DURING the workout, I burn more calories now when i'm sleeping. Overall my burn is greater for the whole day, which makes it more calories used than many cardio workouts.
    it also means i can eat slightly more food than someone that has the same ht and wt as me, with less muscle.
    If it didn't work the way it's written then how do you explain the progress I've had and so many others who primarily lift?
    Increased strength, endurance, fat loss? It's all there. Don't underestimate recovery. Don't chase the DOMS feeling. (delayed onset soreness). Getting that does not mean you had a great workout. or that you didn't. It means your muscle is not used to that exercise or weight. or that you didn't warm up/stretch enough after. Most of the time, lower rep ranges don't result in DOMS, that does not mean they are less effective, there's simply less lactic acid in the muscle using that type of set. there are benefits to all the rep ranges as we said above.
  • greenmonstergirl
    greenmonstergirl Posts: 619 Member
    Options
    I didn't lose 100+ with lifting heavy, but lifting was a part of how I got fit. The heart health benefits of cardio (especially if you're very overweight and at higher risk of heart disease and other cardiac issues) are not to be ignored, but you don't have to be a cardio bunny to lose weight.

I shed most of my weight with primarily cardio (*not* running) and body weight exercises, but changed my body composition the most with lifting/strength training.

Good luck!

THIS^ is exactly how I'm doing it as well.
  • greenmonstergirl
    greenmonstergirl Posts: 619 Member
    Options
    Ive lost 185 pounds...I didnt do it with what I call heavy lifting but I started at 380 pounds and started strength/resistance training at around 340 pounds combined with cardio :)
    WOW! You are an inspiration!!!
  • katy_trail
    Options
    I forgot to mention that if I'm doing circuit training
    either A: doing things between sets like jumping jacks, push ups, bur pees, standing on my head....
    or B doing the exercises with no rest in between, then

A would require me to use lighter weights, which defeats the whole purpose.
    There are benefits to using lighter weights, but for me, they will not challenge me.
    If I'm going to change, I have to challenge my body, and the same is true for you,
    it will be up to you to decide if 'heavy' lifting is right for you.

B I already do the exercises with as little rest as possible,
    but there are times when i'm interrupted or need more rest bc
    it's challenging. The right amount of rest is as little or as much
    as you need to feel ready to do the exercise.
    Between sets I walk around, swing my arms back and forth,
    arm circles, and the bar ready for the exercise.

In either case I don't need to add in exercises to get my heart rate up.
    if the weight is challenging, your heart rate will already be up there.

There is nothing wrong with these questions, I thought the same thing.
    and training that way did not get me the results I wanted. nor did it challenge me enough
    I just didn't know it. yet.

You are stronger than you think. If you haven't tested your 1 rep maxes, do it.
    Do it now. Free weights, compound movements- squat, dead lift, bench press, over head press.
    (not all on the same day)
    You'll be surprised. and you'll be inspired by the future progress you'll have
    in strength, and more. GO FORTH AND LIFT HEAVY THINGS AND SET THEM DOWN!
  • TheShrinkingKween
    TheShrinkingKween Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for all of your input Katy_trail! I really appreciate you taking the time to be so thorough!
  • katy_trail
    Options
    it is my obsession. try to take the time to read the other thread i think i put it up already, in case i forgot,
    want to start heavy lifting? don't know where to start?
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/993490-want-to-start-lifting-what-weight

I'll talk for days about this stuff if people feel like listening. usually not.
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options

I've been doing cardio intervals between my lifting sets for around a month now to shed a few lbs. I gained while eating at a surplus over the winter. Example- I'll do a set of 10 on bench press then do a minute of jump rope, another set of 10, minute of jump rope, repeat for 3 sets. It definitely kicks your butt. It was pretty tough the first couple of weeks, I could hardly lift my normal amount of weight. I'm building up endurance each week as I go.
    The thing to remember with doing the cardio intervals is safety. When you first start this type of program it's tough (and I've been lifting for around a year and a half now). If you feel like you need a little breather before you do you next lifting set, take it. Don't try to kill yourself without resting in between, that's a sure way to injure yourself. Also, if you need to go lighter on the weight, do it. You don't need to squat 300lbs after just jump roping for a minute straight- that's another sure way to really hurt something. The goal of the cardio intervals is fat-burning and the lifting is to *retain* muscle, not build it (assuming your eating at a deficit).
    Listen to your body. You're body will adjust to it over time and it'll get easier to do without rest in between.
  • graceylou222
    graceylou222 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Just for my own personal curiosity, what does everyone consider heavy? I am really interested in lifting but not sure what heavy really means. Thanks!

When I started training I used 15 lb dumbells, now I use 30lbs.. Thats pretty heavy for me. Of course when I squat I can do a lot more, but I haven't tested myself to see how heavy I can go.

Start out with what feels hard but you can do 12 reps of. If it is too light and you aren't really struggling then I would up the weight!
  • NewCaddy
    NewCaddy Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    bump
  • wins1219
    wins1219 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what type of phone you have but the Android Market has Netflix and Hulu Plus apps. Those are my lifesavers on boring cardio days.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!