I need a cleanse...

Options

Replies

• mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Honestly, the docusate sodium is the best idea. It's the easiest on your GI system. The mag sulfate will cause diarrhea. docusate is a stool softener and very mild and will not cause diarrhea like mag sulfate will. you can get the docusate at wal-mart for about 2-3 dollars.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Magnesium
    metamucil
    fat (my favorite is a buttered grilled cheese with a fried egg ((runny yolk obviously))

Call me in a few hours and tell me that doesn't work. :)

Of course you could take some over the counter laxatives or a laxative tea.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    colon blow works wonders

SNL_0617_04_Colon_Blow.png
  • rosehips60
    rosehips60 Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    magnesium citrate! it is disgusting and makes me drool like crazy but it is less than a dollar for a bottle at walmart and you will "cleanse" for hours lol

Oh yeah that stuff works!
  • Sutnak
    Sutnak Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    A thumb and a little hard work
  • rainbowbow
    edited April 2015
    Options
    mccindy72 wrote: »
    Honestly, the docusate sodium is the best idea. It's the easiest on your GI system. The mag sulfate will cause diarrhea. docusate is a stool softener and very mild and will not cause diarrhea like mag sulfate will. you can get the docusate at wal-mart for about 2-3 dollars.

If this is the same as Dulcolax, i wouldn't call it "mild".

I took it once and i had literally THE WORST GI pain i've ever had (even after suffering through some ulcers and an H. Pylori infection). The rumbling, cramping, and HORRIBLE pain did not stop!!!!!

I had a similar but less intense experience with tea with senna in it.

My point being, if you can handle the problem without taking something i suggest you do!
  • sbenfield2
    sbenfield2 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    colon blow works wonders

Now, new super colon blow. How many bowls......
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    :D Thanks all! I've tried the fats and the water and the extra fibre, but I'm getting to the point of feeling like I have the lower abdominal version of a chest burster about to hatch. I'm leery of over the counter lax, scared they will hit me on the train on the way home LOL though my experience with sugar free candy is much the same risk...
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

Magnesium citrate. In small doses does not cause diarrhea.
  • mccindy72
    Options

Magnesium is still a much harsher medication and has other side effects. It causes cramping.
  • rainbowbow
    edited April 2015
    Options
  • knt217
    knt217 Posts: 115 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    So, this is what my husband (who is a surgeon, and uh...deals with getting people to go after surgery) had me do when I had issues after taking a narcotic. This is just what he recommended for me, and I'm passing it along- please don't assume he is advising you here. Now that that disclaimer is out of the way...

Miralax in a warm beverage, and keep up on your water intake. You can purchase it at any pharmacy or usually even most grocery stores.

Obviously consult your doctor if symptoms persist or you have futher concerns, but this is a safe option that's used post operatively in the hospital as well. Hope you get feeling better.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    edited April 2015
    Options

Magnesium is still a much harsher medication and has other side effects. It causes cramping.

It's a mineral (like calcium). It's in lots of what we eat. Vegetables etc.

No cramping if ingested properly.

It's just a mineral. Unless you over do it.

Nothing wrong with stool softeners. Definitely better than senna (all those damned dieters teas etc.).
  • mccindy72
    Options

It's a mineral. It's in lots of what we eat. Vegetables etc.

No cramping for me.

It's used to start labor for childbirth, it's used for headache control, it's used for GI purposes... yes, it's a mineral found in things we eat, but when you buy it in the store in that form, it's a concentrate being bought specifically for pharmaceutical use and can cause other effects. I'm glad it doesn't cause cramping for you, but in someone who just had surgery, docusate sodium or miralax is a much safer choice. that's why they give them in the hospital.
  • rainbowbow
    Options

No cramping for me.

It's used to start labor for childbirth, it's used for headache control, it's used for GI purposes... yes, it's a mineral found in things we eat, but when you buy it in the store in that form, it's a concentrate being bought specifically for pharmaceutical use and can cause other effects. I'm glad it doesn't cause cramping for you, but in someone who just had surgery, docusate sodium or miralax is a much safer choice. that's why they give them in the hospital.

docusate sodium or miralax causes cramping as well though, right? I know it did for me. =/
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    edited April 2015
    Options

No cramping for me.

Miralax causes major cramping.

Wouldn't be surprised if it induced labor. Again, all better than senna, which is a known abortifacient.

But given that this thread is mostly in jest. No harm, no foul.

• techgal128
    techgal128 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    An entire can of pumpkin.

Don't ask how I know that but I will tell you it works.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    :D Thanks all! I've tried the fats and the water and the extra fibre, but I'm getting to the point of feeling like I have the lower abdominal version of a chest burster about to hatch. I'm leery of over the counter lax, scared they will hit me on the train on the way home LOL though my experience with sugar free candy is much the same risk...
    ragtime-alien.jpg
    Check please!
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    Be like a mathematician....
  • knt217
    knt217 Posts: 115 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Yes, Miralax can cause cramping (I should say- it did for me...even though it's not supposed to- so I suppose that's pretty anecdotal). You can try taking less than you have previously and it may decrease the severity. I think it all depends on just how bad you need to go for how willing you are to take something and deal with the side effects. Only you know that answer.