The greatest compliment

Options

Replies

• SteampunkSongbird
    SteampunkSongbird Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    People keep calling me a skinny Minnie, which I've never been told before in my life, lol. I'm not skinny but the change in my weight is enough to have some people saying I am, especially people who don't see me in person regularly.
  • gpstreet
    gpstreet Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Colleague, who I have not seen for three weeks, paid me a compliment today. She said I have lost one of my triple chins.
  • dolliesdaughter
    dolliesdaughter Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    I started my weight lost soon after my "lady" exam in 2011. When I went back for my "lady" exam in 2012. My doctor kept flipping the pages back and forth. He did quite a few times, then he ask my name and DOB. He said, "Yup it's you. You have lost 98 lbs in one year?" I told him yes. He told me that he was so proud of me and how I extended my life........ He said that my skin was excellent and I apparently did it all natural. I was beaming, yes my doctor gave me accolades. It doesn't get any better than that. When I went back in 2013 and 2014, he congratulated me on keeping it off. Bear in mind I am in my 40's. I can't wait to tell him that I have completed a half marathon.
  • HereWeGoAgain7
    HereWeGoAgain7 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    LAWoman72 wrote: »
    Well, on Saturday I came into the room in a baseball jersey (my son had a game) and some nice-fitting jeans and my husband looked at me and said, "You know, I've gotta be honest with you, my (starts with a D) is getting pretty hard right now."

I have decided it must have been a compliment. Probably not one I can expect to hear from my kid's teacher or the bag girl at Ralph's or the local crossing guard or anything, though. At least not without the police being called in.

Definitely a compliment.
  • gpstreet
    Options
    a compliment from a doctor is worth a great deal.
  • pgreen1017
    pgreen1017 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Exercise Question: I have been doing Leslie Sansone party hits with high intensity interval training in it and I have been recording this as 30 minutes low impact aerobics. I have searched internet to see if I could find out EXACTLY how many calories I am burning since low impact gives me 207. I think this exercise is more. Anyone have any thoughts?
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    My favorite new compliment I get is, "You can eat that and look like that?!" I use to tell people it was because I was counting calories but for some reason it would make people (mostly over weight people) argue with me about how counting calories doesn't work and how bad it is for me.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,651 Member
    Options
    Ooooo speaking of lady exams, another favorite compliment is I'd had a mammogram pre weight watchers and then one during or after. The nurse/technician had comparing xrays up on the board and exclaimed, "You've lost weight!"

Another time, I went in the hospital for a procedure and the nurse, who was on the computer going over my stats with me, kinda said indigantly, "You're not over weight!"
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    Funny, I always get a little upset when someone says that to me. I only seem to see people as being either fat or thin. If I thought of someone was thin before and they lose weight, I won't notice, because as far as I can see they're still thin. I'll only notice if someone goes from fat to thin (or thin to fat...), and they have to be pretty noticeably fat for me to think of them as fat. So if someone says that I've lost weight it makes me think that I must have been noticeably fat before, which is not only embarrassing because I always thought I looked alright (looking back at photos I still think I looked alright), but also makes me worry that I can't tell whether I look fat or thin. I look at myself now and think I look alright, but maybe everyone else actually still sees me as fat, like they did before.

I know exactly what you mean. I find it really awkward whenever someone comments about my weight loss, because in my head all I'm thinking is "wow, they must really have thought I was fat before".

I'm trying to get better at simply smiling and saying thank you, though. Those are my issues, not theirs.
  • gpstreet
    Options
    Ooooh, even better when a compliment is backed up with scientific empirical data. They say the camera never lies and an xray can see right through you.
  • Bella0531
    Bella0531 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    It's also strange how many people won't actually say it to your face because they are afraid of offending somehow. So many people will say it to my husband and he always says "Don't tell me, tell her!" Haha!
  • gpstreet
    Options
    To say to someone that you have noticed they have lost weight is implying you thought they were fat before. I can see how a compliment can have a secondary effect as an insult. I suppose you have to know the person to whome you give the compliment and whether they are confident in themselves.
  • kruuTahn
    kruuTahn Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    "That was incredible!"
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    The greatest compliment is that day when you are in the gym and out of nowhere, you become one of the people ask for pointers. It's no longer the other way around. That feels good.

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    The greatest compliment is that day when you are in the gym and out of nowhere, you become one of the people ask for pointers. It's no longer the other way around. That feels good.

This is a good one. There is a woman who lives down the street from me who I consider to be in great shape. She runs regularly and lifts (not sure how much but we've chatted a bit about it at the bus stop) and definitely looks fit. She has asked me a few times over the past year about tracking calories and staying motivated because those are two areas she finds challenging. The idea that she is asking me for fitness-related advice blows my mind a bit and makes me feel good.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    I started my weight lost soon after my "lady" exam in 2011. When I went back for my "lady" exam in 2012. My doctor kept flipping the pages back and forth. He did quite a few times, then he ask my name and DOB. He said, "Yup it's you. You have lost 98 lbs in one year?" I told him yes. He told me that he was so proud of me and how I extended my life........ He said that my skin was excellent and I apparently did it all natural. I was beaming, yes my doctor gave me accolades. It doesn't get any better than that. When I went back in 2013 and 2014, he congratulated me on keeping it off. Bear in mind I am in my 40's. I can't wait to tell him that I have completed a half marathon.

Yep, my doctors practically do backflips when they see me, especially my endocrinologists. Apparently people with my issues almost never lose weight or keep it off.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    People keep calling me a skinny Minnie, which I've never been told before in my life, lol. I'm not skinny but the change in my weight is enough to have some people saying I am, especially people who don't see me in person regularly.

I recently heard someone describing me as "delgada." I guess the best translation would be "slender."

That kind of blew my mind. I'm still 20 pounds overweight!
  • gpstreet
    Options
    Being thin does not equate to looking good. Contemporary media outlets have a lot to answer for. They use photoshopping to deform the image of the human body away from the "natural healthy norm'.
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    kruuTahn wrote: »
    "That was incredible!"

LOL!!!!!

I'm not sure that's the kind of compliment the OP had in mind.

Unless you're talking about your chess game.

• mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    I remember the first time someone other than family noticed I'd been losing weight and getting fitter... wasn't all that long ago despite having been at it since last August. Felt great. I said thanks, of course!