Is The First Week The Hardest Week?

Options
iona_ellen
iona_ellen Posts: 138 Member
Hi,

Anytips on the first week?
I snack lots and need to keep my mind busy to avoid sitting and eating, any hints, tips and ideas to keep me busy constantly? As I can snack constantly

Replies

• crazyjerseygirl
    crazyjerseygirl Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    Read the success threads!
  • MissusSpags
    MissusSpags Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I find that keeping my hands busy when I'm sitting down by crocheting or even just doodling on a piece of paper helps me. And there's always my old stand by of getting out of the house and going for a walk. :)
  • runnerchick69
    runnerchick69 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I've been there! CrazyJerseygirl is right, read the success threads. Even now I find the success of other people to be VERY inspirational. I've been doing this a long time but I still have hard days where I struggle to eat right and at times I fall down hard but you pick yourself right back up and start again. If you like to walk go outside and walk around the block or go for a bike ride. The first week is tough but you can do it!

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10083315/maintenance-is-possible-long-term#latest
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,683 Member
    Options
    You're changing behavior, so for many it can be. But hopefully you went it MENTALLY prepared. If you decided on it out of the blue, it may be more challenging.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    I'm sure it varies by individual, but for me, no. The first few weeks are super easy. I've made a decision, I'm stoked about it, I'm ready to stick to these new goals. It's about the 4th week that it gets hard. That's when the discipline becomes a chore. When I don't want to have to think about it anymore. Then, after a couple more weeks, it becomes more routine.
  • Dragn77
    Dragn77 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    Not to put a damper on! But I find that the first week is actually the easiest for me, because Im all motivated and when that initial water weight comes off, Im all excited and *in it to win it!* Its the second week that is the hardest for me...cause the loss isn't nearly as big and also, the reality of trying to lose weight is setting in.

This is where I always gave up in the past...but I think I just wasnt mentally ready for it, while this time I am. Once I got to about 3-4 weeks in, the changes I was making wasnt as hard to stick to, and being able to see the long term progress has me feeling like Im on a roll...like, I cant stop now! The more time I put in, the more invested I am, and I dont want all this work to be in vain!
  • Gel_W91
    Gel_W91 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Agree with a previous poster, first few weeks are fairly easy, all these new choices and meals and getting into it, it's after a couple weeks your cravings will hit and you'll need to fight through them to keep seeing your results, hopefully seeing the scales going down will give you that though.
    As for being busy it's up to you, personal preference. Cleaning the house, cross words, browsing internet, taking a shower, going for a walk. Anything that keeps your hands busy, you'll find most people still think about food ALOT into there journey. It's a natural thing! We all think about our next meal.
  • LessofPenny
    LessofPenny Posts: 53 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I would say just snack healthy and learn to welcome the sound of your tummy growling...... it is the sound of your inner stomach shrinking. It means you are doing something right. But..... you don't have to make it growl long. Give it a healthy snack after you get the satisfaction of hearing it for a bit. Week 3 was the hardest for me, cause "it just wasn't fun anymore". That is when I found mfp and I renewed my strength and motivation.

• JuliaHaleFitness
    JuliaHaleFitness Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Just remember that this is the beginning and stay excited! I find that always having hot tea or lemon water with me reminds me to reach for that when my hands are idle. Another good trick is to get up an walk around, go talk to someone for a few minutes when you have a craving. Experiment, you'll probably find that you are just bored and your craving will go away!
  • Sam_LJackson
    Sam_LJackson Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I found the first couple of days was the hardest, staying under calories without slipping back to old habits. I would recommend getting rid of all of the super tempting snacks until you can control your cravings, if you can. I still have my boyfriend hide chocolate & chips if he wants them around.

As to what to do, exercise! I find that a little cardio suppresses my appetite, and then you can eat more calories anyway! If you need something to replace your snacking urge, maybe make some tea!

Also eat lots of protein and fibre to keep your hunger down.

+1 for success threads, amazing transformations!
  • shapenerfiterratii
    shapenerfiterratii Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem! Even if I'm not hungry, I'll snack when I'm studying or reading or watching something. What works for me (but is SO hard!) is delay it. Find an excuse not to get up and eat that snack, and keep putting things before it saying (after this). It only works for so long until you get some better alternative (usually ends up being an apple or a tsp of coconut oil for me). It gets hard but I also found the more you workout the harder it is to snack because you don't want to waste what you did. Also remove any temptations from your house if they trigger you. I'll stop talking now. :)
  • shapenerfiterratii
    shapenerfiterratii Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Read the success threads!

This works quite a bit for me.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,230 Member
    Options
    I found the 3rd or so week most difficult for me. I lost a lot (I know much of it was retained water) the first couple of weeks, but the third week that all slowed down. It is then that I find I am tempted to give in and eat as much as I would like to rather than sticking with the change.

What seems to help me is keeping busy so I am not sitting around thinking about food.
  • Dragn77
    Options
    juliah1234 wrote: »
    Just remember that this is the beginning and stay excited! I find that always having hot tea or lemon water with me reminds me to reach for that when my hands are idle. Another good trick is to get up an walk around, go talk to someone for a few minutes when you have a craving. Experiment, you'll probably find that you are just bored and your craving will go away!

That is a big key that I didnt realize I actually do, but I think helps a lot. I *always* have a water bottle within reach of me...I have a water bottle at my desk, by the couch, and my car always has water in it too. I find that when Im mindlessly wanting to consume something, my water is right there.

It also helps cause Im lazy as all give out, Id rather just drink the water I have within arms reach, than to have to get up, go to the kitchen, and stare into the fridge to see what to munch on. When I eat, I plan to eat...my meals and my snacks. But when Im just feeling like i could have a lil something cause Im bored, or Im on the road and the thought creeps in that I could stop and grab something right quick, the water is right there for me and by the time I drink some, Ive already forgotten I wanted to stuff my face lol
  • csuhar
    csuhar Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    Something that helps me in addition to keeping myself preoccupied is to make the snacking inconvenient. The more work I have to go through to access the snacks, the more time I have to ask myself "is this really something I want to add to my calories for the day?".

One of my previous offices had an office snack bar / room that made it particularly easy to get snacks, because you could put in the $20 you get out of the ATM and get change from the snack bar monitor or get $20 worth of snacks, which made it easy to snack frequently. But when we were relegated to a standard vending machine, where you had to have exact change and could only get one item at a time, it reduced the temptation dramatically.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    It's hardest in some ways, but easier in others, because of the newness and excitement IME. What I found helpful was taking advantage of the excitement and motivation to work on the harder stuff so a habit was in place when the motivation started wavering.

Snacking at work and at specific times was a tough one for me, so a couple things I did when motivated was get a good regular meal schedule in place so that I shouldn't be hungry--changed up my silly "grab a bagel" breakfast practice for a filling breakfast with some protein and fat, for example, and planned meals to bring for lunch that would be filling and I'd look forward to.

Then, when I wanted to snack I was better able to tell myself I wasn't really hungry. At first I did have snacks available, though--low calorie items like carrots and celery--and would let myself eat those, but quickly I realized I was fine without them, as my attachment to the old habit started to lessen. I also replaced rituals like going to get a snack with getting (black) coffee or tea or some water or going for a quick walk around (or up and down stairs if they are available) or writing down some stuff about how I was feeling or my goals for the day.
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,323 Member
    Options
    the whole thing is hard day in and day out until it isn;t anymore. lets not sugar coat it.
  • Dragn77
    edited April 2015
    Options
    urloved33 wrote: »
    the whole thing is hard day in and day out until it isn;t anymore. lets not sugar coat it.

Let's? I believe we are all sharing our personal experiences...which are all different. Sorry to hear that you find every day of this hard, but not everyone is experiencing what you are so you cant speak for everyone (Lets? LoL)...thats not sugarcoating.

For some of us, some days are easier than others. Personally, like I said, I find that the longer I do this, the easier it gets because its become routine, and also, I have a really positive attitude towards this path Im on, which makes it easier to hold onto the motivation to keep going.

Much like how for some people, they have a hard time getting into the gym, but once it becomes a part of their routine, not only do they love it, their day doesnt feel complete without it. I hate they gym, and its hard for me every time I ever try. Every day Ive ever been in a gym was hard...Doesnt mean I think that people who say they enjoy it are lying and sugarcoating things...they simply have a difference experience.
  • chrispike7
    chrispike7 Posts: 15 Member
    Options

Haha.... "lets not sugar coat it".....was that an intentional pun??

No, lets not go anywhere near sugar!!!!
  • Dragn77
    Options
    chrispike7 wrote: »

Haha.... "lets not sugar coat it".....was that an intentional pun??

No, lets not go anywhere near sugar!!!!

Sugar is evil.

But I'm a heathen, so it works for me.