Is The First Week The Hardest Week?

Options

Replies

• urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,323 Member
    Options
    Dragn77 wrote: »
    urloved33 wrote: »
    the whole thing is hard day in and day out until it isn;t anymore. lets not sugar coat it.

Let's? I believe we are all sharing our personal experiences...which are all different. Sorry to hear that you find every day of this hard, but not everyone is experiencing what you are so you cant speak for everyone (Lets? LoL)...thats not sugarcoating.

For some of us, some days are easier than others. Personally, like I said, I find that the longer I do this, the easier it gets because its become routine, and also, I have a really positive attitude towards this path Im on, which makes it easier to hold onto the motivation to keep going.

Much like how for some people, they have a hard time getting into the gym, but once it becomes a part of their routine, not only do they love it, their day doesnt feel complete without it. I hate they gym, and its hard for me every time I ever try. Every day Ive ever been in a gym was hard...Doesnt mean I think that people who say they enjoy it are lying and sugarcoating things...they simply have a difference experience.

Lets get real. If you have spent a lifetime living one way with certain habits and now you are wanting to live another way with new habits.

Its going to be hard until its not.

I - last poster - was an amateur body builder in the gym for the last thirty five years...so be careful when you post that which you know nothing about

now for anyone who feels the need to attack please pass over me. thank you.

• Dragn77
    Dragn77 Posts: 810 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    the whole thing is hard day in and day out until it isn;t anymore. lets not sugar coat it.

Let's? I believe we are all sharing our personal experiences...which are all different. Sorry to hear that you find every day of this hard, but not everyone is experiencing what you are so you cant speak for everyone (Lets? LoL)...thats not sugarcoating.

For some of us, some days are easier than others. Personally, like I said, I find that the longer I do this, the easier it gets because its become routine, and also, I have a really positive attitude towards this path Im on, which makes it easier to hold onto the motivation to keep going.

Much like how for some people, they have a hard time getting into the gym, but once it becomes a part of their routine, not only do they love it, their day doesnt feel complete without it. I hate they gym, and its hard for me every time I ever try. Every day Ive ever been in a gym was hard...Doesnt mean I think that people who say they enjoy it are lying and sugarcoating things...they simply have a difference experience.

Lets get real. If you have spent a lifetime living one way with certain habits and now you are wanting to live another way with new habits.

I - last poster - was an amateur body builder in the gym for the last thirty five years...so be careful when you post that which you know nothing about

I am being real. Real is understanding that not everyone has the exact same experience or perspective on a situation. Real is being able to accept that what you find hard is not universal to everyone else.

Real is being able to realize that just because someone shares a different viewpoint than you, does not negate or invalidate your own and should not be considered or taken as a personal attack.

I only posted about myself and my personal experience, which I do happen to know something about! I also believe in speaking only for ones self, instead of saying "Lets" as if I have some authority to speak for everyone....that was my point.

I know nothing about body building or what you have been through for the past 35 years and didnt mention anything about that at all, make it personal or attack you in any way...so not sure why you are being hostile telling me to be careful what I say about those things! Oye!
  • maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    No, actually, I find the first week to be the easiest. Shoot, anyone can tough out something for a week. Plus you tend to lose weight rather quickly your first week or so. But then, for me anyway, I typically hit a plateau about 3-4 weeks in that lasts about 2-3 weeks, and then my body seems to give up and starts burning fat.

That can be the hard time - when you are hungry and not seeing any results.

• Fitnin6280
    Fitnin6280 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    No, actually, I find the first week to be the easiest. Shoot, anyone can tough out something for a week. Plus you tend to lose weight rather quickly your first week or so. But then, for me anyway, I typically hit a plateau about 3-4 weeks in that lasts about 2-3 weeks, and then my body seems to give up and starts burning fat.

That can be the hard time - when you are hungry and not seeing any results.

I completely agree with this... I find the first week fairly easy. It's pushing through the times when you aren't losing that gets rough.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Actually, the first week was fairly easy with getting organized, logging etc. Time passed quickly. Then I thought--wow, I can do this! and went on to lose 20lbs. Now that I've got the last 10 to lose it's harder. I have to really watch since ther's no more wiggle room. Just get started and read the threads, and you'll be fine. :)
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    Not to put a damper on! But I find that the first week is actually the easiest for me, because Im all motivated and when that initial water weight comes off, Im all excited and *in it to win it!* Its the second week that is the hardest for me...cause the loss isn't nearly as big and also, the reality of trying to lose weight is setting in.

This is where I always gave up in the past...but I think I just wasnt mentally ready for it, while this time I am. Once I got to about 3-4 weeks in, the changes I was making wasnt as hard to stick to, and being able to see the long term progress has me feeling like Im on a roll...like, I cant stop now! The more time I put in, the more invested I am, and I dont want all this work to be in vain!

Agree. It is easy to get started because whatever the reason you decided to do it in the first place is still fresh in your mind. When something comes along (like life) to knock your motivation down a bit.....people tend to revert back to old habits.

Keep at it and good luck.
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,323 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I think what is hard to internalize is the fact that...this is now a new way of life (if you want to maintain your health) so its not about today or tomorrow or this week or next week. its about our bodies evolving to the undertstanding that this is how we live now...without thought or hesitation...kinda like we neglected ourselves without thought or hesitation.
  • kettouji
    kettouji Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    The threads here are your best bet. And water. I know there's a lot of drink x oz or drink xx oz, plus what I follow may not be what you follow. So just keep it handy, water is the save-all.
  • Dragn77
    Dragn77 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    Not to put a damper on! But I find that the first week is actually the easiest for me, because Im all motivated and when that initial water weight comes off, Im all excited and *in it to win it!* Its the second week that is the hardest for me...cause the loss isn't nearly as big and also, the reality of trying to lose weight is setting in.

This is where I always gave up in the past...but I think I just wasnt mentally ready for it, while this time I am. Once I got to about 3-4 weeks in, the changes I was making wasnt as hard to stick to, and being able to see the long term progress has me feeling like Im on a roll...like, I cant stop now! The more time I put in, the more invested I am, and I dont want all this work to be in vain!

Agree. It is easy to get started because whatever the reason you decided to do it in the first place is still fresh in your mind. When something comes along (like life) to knock your motivation down a bit.....people tend to revert back to old habits.

Keep at it and good luck.

Thank you! And so true.. If I could keep that exact same motivation going for the next few months as I did that very first week, Id be golden!

But I've got my game face on, and Im very serious this time about making it happen. My entire perspective this time around is different, much more positive than I ever was before and so the changes Im making are easier to stick to. Feeling determined =D
  • chelsy0587
    chelsy0587 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    As others have said the first week is actually the easiest....

As for snacking, I try really hard to eat protein rich foods so I feel full... at times I feel so full I am almost sick at the thought of eating anything else.
  • shamcd
    shamcd Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    As you can tell by the myriad of answers, everyone is different. I agree with reading the Success Stories forum, I find them VERY inspiring and have used them as crutch on many tough days. That, and staying honest with myself...I log everything that goes into my mouth, regardless of what, how much, and how many times. That honesty keeps me on track, whether I like it at the time or not. I wish you the best of luck :)
  • neaneacc
    neaneacc Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I will admit that I was a junk food junkie when I started. Soda, candy, and other high calorie foods were part of my lifestyle causing me to be overweight. I felt that the first 3 weeks or so were very hard for me to break these habits. However, one question that helped me stay on track was could I be satisfied with something more nutritious? Often the answer was yes, and in a weird ripple effect one good decision would lead to another good choice and so on. Additionally, you need to teach yourself to recognize hunger over boredom eating. One good way to test this is to drink full glass of water first, and then reassess if you are really hungry or not. If yes, start with a fruit or veggie to see if that will keep you happy if it isn't a meal time. I hope this helps you to stick it out because it is worth the effort.
  • kudzured
    kudzured Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Getting started is always hard, every day will get easier!
  • tephanies1234
    tephanies1234 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    156 days in and it's second nature. The hardest part for me was around month #2. Plan for diet breaks or a day off from eating in a caloric deficit here and there along the way, and just realize that you will mess up eventually on your journey, just remember to get back on track the next day and keep on trekking. My best tip is to chew mint gum when you want to snack. Good luck!
  • Noelv1976
    Noelv1976 Posts: 18,948 Member
    Options
    The first week is usually the easiest. It's the following weeks that gets hard. When you don't see results anymore, or you get tired, or you just get bored, feel like giving up. For me, it's mixing it up and not get side tracked. Which happens a lot.
  • flippy1234
    flippy1234 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    My first week too and I am starving I have to say but I am trying to stick to a specific plan. I am drinking tons of water and green tea to try and ease my hunger in between meals.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,262 Member
    Options

Didn't see anyone attacking. Just difference of opinions
  • Therealobi1
    Options
    Op for me first weeks were fine as I knew from day 1 1200 wouldn't work for me as too small so adjusted my calories First few days was more of an eye opener as I swore blindly I didn't eat loads. Once I knew how much I ate I started to make adjustments. Good luck
  • Therealobi1
    Options
    Ps tip is not to make too many drastic changes. This is what makes it harder
  • KelGen02
    KelGen02 Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    It's a lifestyle change and all change is hard at times... It's more mind over matter I think... sometimes I am really pumped, looking at cute clothes and sometimes staying within my calories makes me want to run away screaming or over indulge on wings and beer ;) I am 30 days into this and do find that I don't have that starving hungry feeling anymore. I don't know if it is because I drink half my weight in water every day or because I also eat every 2-3 hours so there really isn't any time to be hungry? I also eat what I want to eat, if I am craving something I eat it, within moderation of course but it satisfies the craving and allows me to stay on track... One day at a time... Stay focused, forgive yourself often and keep pushing forward!!!! Good luck!!