Do you feel more hungry when you're tired?

Options
Machka9
Machka9 Posts: 24,927 Member
I've had less sleep than usual most nights over the past couple weeks, and I've also been so busy and a bit stressed for the past couple weeks.

The last couple days I've noticed that I'm more hungry than usual. I'm almost always a little bit hungry since I started here almost 2 months ago. But the last couple days I've felt like I could pack away a large chocolate cake or two.

I'm guessing that maybe the lack of sleep is contributing to my feelings of hunger. Have any of you experienced this ... feeling hungry when you're really tired?

That said, I'm actually heading to bed a bit earlier than I have in a while tonight ... in just a few minutes. Maybe it will help. :)

Replies

• 365andstillalive
    365andstillalive Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    It sounds like your body wants energy.
    Carbs = energy.
    Chocolate cake = carbs (with the added bonus of sugar).

I tend to be a bit more hungry on days where I run low on sleep, and that's when watching my food choices becomes really important. I'll crave the sweets and carbs, but I know a meal with moderate carb and protein is going to make me feel a heck of a lot better than a sugar crash will.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Absolutely. My (unscientific) explanation is that my body "wants" more energy in the form of calories to fill in for the lack of rest.

Try to get back on track with sleep as soon as you can (I know, easier said than done!). In the meantime, I find that keeping hydrated helps somewhat.
  • scraver2003
    scraver2003 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    YES. The more tired I am, the more I want carbs and sugar. Your body looks for quick energy when you are tired. This is why sleep is so important for weight loss.
  • llUndecidedll
    llUndecidedll Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    Yes. I work evening hours, so by the time I get off work I've been awake for about 19 hours. I always want to stop by some convenience store on the way home for chocolate cupcakes and Coke Zero.
  • RacheLoko
    RacheLoko Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Yes food is energy and with the lack of sleep your body is looking for that boost in something else causing you to just want to eat and eat and eat. Sleep is very important in healthy weight loss
  • alliesgettinghealthy
    alliesgettinghealthy Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Yes, I definitely do feel hungrier when I am sleeping deprived! You're body wants to make up that energy deficit, so it looks for quick sources of energy (and energy = calories). Your body also digests carbohydrates (especially simple sugars) quickly so that makes sense that you would be craving dessert. :smile:
  • ArkMom35
    ArkMom35 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Yes! When my kids keep me up all night, I wake up miserable and hungry, and they're generally not my best days all-around.
  • G8rRay
    G8rRay Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    More hungry? No more hungry than when not tired.
    Less willpower to resist giving in to hunger? Yes.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    It sounds like your body wants energy.
    Carbs = energy.
    Chocolate cake = carbs (with the added bonus of sugar).

I tend to be a bit more hungry on days where I run low on sleep, and that's when watching my food choices becomes really important. I'll crave the sweets and carbs, but I know a meal with moderate carb and protein is going to make me feel a heck of a lot better than a sugar crash will.

I love my carbs after dark!
  • angiewf
    angiewf Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Remember the HALT sign - if you're Hungry, Angry,Lonely or Tired, you'll make bad choices, including food choices !
  • suruda
    suruda Posts: 1,233 Member
    Options
    Yup, and I want crap food usually. I have to believe it's not truly hunger but other emotions/feelings creating that feeling.

Go to bed...and see how you feel in the morning after you've rested!
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,927 Member
    Options
    suruda wrote: »
    Go to bed...and see how you feel in the morning after you've rested!

I'm going! :) About an hour earlier than I did last night too.

Thanks everyone. :)

• urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    Options
    When I am tired I make poor choices. HALT. HUNGRY ANGRY LONELY TIRED. stop. HALT. poor choices are made during those times.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Both stress and fatigue can trigger hunger.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Yes, it can be coming for someone to feel an elevated level of hunger do to not getting proper sleep. This can be a result of elevated Ghrelin Hormone combined with a reduction in Leptin Hormone.

Yes, this. Lots of research is being done on the link between obesity and lack of sleep. Sleep is a key factor in losing weight, IMO.
  • jibeirish
    jibeirish Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Yes im feeling tired and hungry today too and sitting at this desk allday isnt helping either... Ive been craving chocolate allday, and ive just given in and had it, it was amazing but im still tired and hungry...
  • MonaLisaLianne
    MonaLisaLianne Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! When my son was a baby and I was sleep-deprived I was hungry all the time. I would eat any food that was nearby. Now, after a poor night's sleep I find the same thing. It's as though my body is trying to make up for that loss of restored energy.
  • Justygirl77
    Justygirl77 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    I've had less sleep than usual most nights over the past couple weeks, and I've also been so busy and a bit stressed for the past couple weeks.

The last couple days I've noticed that I'm more hungry than usual. I'm almost always a little bit hungry since I started here almost 2 months ago. But the last couple days I've felt like I could pack away a large chocolate cake or two.

I'm guessing that maybe the lack of sleep is contributing to my feelings of hunger. Have any of you experienced this ... feeling hungry when you're really tired?

That said, I'm actually heading to bed a bit earlier than I have in a while tonight ... in just a few minutes. Maybe it will help. :)
    Yes, fatigue can sometimes make me feel hungry. So can dehydration. Stress changes your body, too. It's best to break into that cycle not with food, but with a better cycle....drink some water, try to go to sleep or de-stress or take a short nap. Take a walk. Plan and eat a balance meal or snack at a better time. Be directive (yet gentle) with your body.

• BigLifter10
    BigLifter10 Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    Yes! I would like to thing it doesn't, but, for me, I tend to care less when I am tired, so when I'm hungry & tired....my attitude stinks and my first inclination is to have whatever. It takes time to defeat that. I also don't get enough sleep....but when I do....much better in the hunger department (probably because I tend to stick to my meals as I should when I'm running on full capacity).