Triathlon Wear

Options

Replies

• SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    It's at the state park. I'm sure you're swimming in the reservoir.

The reservoir will be warmer than the ocean, so you can't judge it by when you would wear a wetsuit for surfing.

However I did find this website that updates the water temp in the reservoir daily. It's used for fishing, but you can keep an eye on it as it gets closer to the date. fishingnotes.com/water-temperature/ma/Hopkinton-Reservoir
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    The swim is 1/4 mile followed by 10 mile bike and a 5k. A quarter of a mile? That seems like nothing.

Aren't sprints usually ~1/2 mile swims?

Sprint distances are not standardized to any level. I have done everything from 400-900 meters in a sprint swim. Anything from 10 to 15 miles for the bike. Always seem to be a 5k run but I have seen them with less as well.

Standardized distances are Oly, HIM and IM. Other than that, it's pretty much whatever the organizer wants to do.
  • glevinso
    Options
    Looks like it is open water. It's a straight shot and usually 62F. At that temp, I would wear a 3/2 wetsuit surfing. Says wetsuits are highly recommended, but idk... so short a distance.

I just checked the race website - says:
    *** Wetsuits Required *** Given the winter of 2015, we have instituted mandatory wetsuits for this event. If you’d like some great savings on wetsuits, shoot us an email for a sweet discount from our friends at XTERRA! (60% off!)

Given that I would say your surfing suits actually DO NOT qualify as a legitimate "wet suit".
  • glevinso
    Options
    For what its worth, XTERRA makes great wetsuits and they are very reasonably priced. If you really can get one 60% off you are looking at a total of maybe $80 investment.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    glevinso wrote: »
    For what its worth, XTERRA makes great wetsuits and they are very reasonably priced. If you really can get one 60% off you are looking at a total of maybe $80 investment.

Ditto everything Glevinso is saying.
    I bought an entry level Xterra after my non-swim wetsuit nightmare.
    They are alway on sale, just google or the current primo sale code. I believe Beigner Triathlete has a code too. It used to be BT.
    The entry model used to be $99 on sale but I think they are just over $100 now. I haven't seen them for less than that for awhile. I've used mine numerous times and have no complaints.

Or rent.
  • HardcoreP0rk
    HardcoreP0rk Posts: 936 Member
    Options

Ugh. $80 is still more than $0. Really hoped I could use what I have. But that's totally ok. What do you think - long sleeved or tank? I'm leaning tank.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

Ugh. $80 is still more than $0. Really hoped I could use what I have. But that's totally ok. What do you think - long sleeved or tank? I'm leaning tank.

FWIW
    I have a sleeveless. I also swim in the same kind of conditions as you.
    Sleeveless is a little easier for swimming but long sleeve is supposed to be faster.
    I survived with sleeveless but my next wetsuit will be long sleeve.
    Sleeveless will usually be cheaper
  • glevinso
    Options
    I have a long sleeve ORCA and feel that it is great until the water gets to about 70. Above that and it's a bit too warm. Below that and it is perfect. A sleeveless might be a bit chilly in 62 degree water.
  • HardcoreP0rk
    Options

FWIW
    I have a sleeveless. I also swim in the same kind of conditions as you.
    Sleeveless is a little easier for swimming but long sleeve is supposed to be faster.
    I survived with sleeveless but my next wetsuit will be long sleeve.
    Sleeveless will usually be cheaper

Full suits are coming in at $160 WITH the discount. Sleeveless is $120 and then there's a closeout one at REI for $120 (but it's also sleeveless).

Thoughts?
  • glevinso
    Options
    Sadly triathlon is an expensive hobby/sport...

All told my BIKE (the one you see in my profile pic) is worth $6k
  • glevinso
    Options
  • HardcoreP0rk
    Options
    Sadly triathlon is an expensive hobby/sport...

All told my BIKE (the one you see in my profile pic) is worth $6k

So much easier to spend big cash on a BIKE though. Its completely annoying to spend over $100 on a wetsuit when you a) have TONS of wetsuits and b) are ONLY swimming 400m
  • RaeN81
    RaeN81 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Contact the race organizers with the pics that you showed here and see if either choice would be acceptable. The event organizers are usually pretty decent and will have more insight into the venue.
  • glevinso
    Options
    Wow nice. I use an Orca and it has been great. 5 years on that wetsuit and I see no need to replace it. Was a good investment for me for sure.
  • HardcoreP0rk
    Options
    Wow nice. I use an Orca and it has been great. 5 years on that wetsuit and I see no need to replace it. Was a good investment for me for sure.

Yea, this is their entry level price point. It was $160 which is about what I spend fullsuits for surf.
  • HillOE
    HillOE Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    You've made your choice, but if you get the suit and don't like it, I'd rent one for the day. Yeah, spending money for a rental, but if you're not going to get use out of it (as in you hate the sport) the rental is worth it. There are a few on line rental options and I would imagine that there is at least 1 tri store or bike store in the metro Boston area that does rentals. Also, I find tri wetsuits a little different than my other wetsuits, a lot harder to get into and a bit more restricting...practice getting in and out of it and swim with it before the race.

It's not really like renting underwear, and you'll have your bike/run gear on under the suit anyway. It is a short distance, but you'll be wet on the bike and if it's chilly, the wind will add to the potential of hypothermia. I know that sounds ridiculous, but I do a race in early September that there is a potential for it due to the combo of cold water, and high speeds on the down hill at the start of the bike.

Good luck, I hope you enjoy your race.
  • HardcoreP0rk
    Options
    HillOE wrote: »
    You've made your choice, but if you get the suit and don't like it, I'd rent one for the day. Yeah, spending money for a rental, but if you're not going to get use out of it (as in you hate the sport) the rental is worth it. There are a few on line rental options and I would imagine that there is at least 1 tri store or bike store in the metro Boston area that does rentals. Also, I find tri wetsuits a little different than my other wetsuits, a lot harder to get into and a bit more restricting...practice getting in and out of it and swim with it before the race.

It's not really like renting underwear, and you'll have your bike/run gear on under the suit anyway. It is a short distance, but you'll be wet on the bike and if it's chilly, the wind will add to the potential of hypothermia. I know that sounds ridiculous, but I do a race in early September that there is a potential for it due to the combo of cold water, and high speeds on the down hill at the start of the bike.

Good luck, I hope you enjoy your race.

I used to train marathon and I know all about hypothermia, unfortunately. Just wearing cotton clothing during an 18 mile run in 40F weather was enough to make me pretty ill. I get what you're saying about the potential for it.

I should get the suit in some time early next week, and will get it down to the pool. You really find that tri suits are harder to get into and out of than surf suits?
  • glevinso
    Options
    Make sure that if you use it in a pool that you rinse it *really* well. The material is not designed for use in chlorinated water and can be harmful to it over time. One test-swim in a pool won't hurt it though.
  • HardcoreP0rk
    Options
    Make sure that if you use it in a pool that you rinse it *really* well. The material is not designed for use in chlorinated water and can be harmful to it over time. One test-swim in a pool won't hurt it though.

Tough one... not too many places in Boston allow open water swimming. In fact, I don't think it's allowed ANYWHERE before Memorial Day, though I'm sure they can't keep me out of the ocean. I know I've been kicked out of Buckmaster Pond, the Charles River near Millennium Park, and the Jamaica Pond... and that was just doing SUP