Cardio with Weights - Also weighted body weight exercises

Options
Does anyone have any idea on how many extra calories are burned when walking (or jogging/running/etc) when you carry extra weight? Such as a full rucksack on your back, with 5 pounds, 10 pounds, 15 pounds of extra weight or whatever?
Or anyway to calculate that?

And for the second part of the title.
When doing body weight exercises such as planks, standing calf raises, squats, push ups, etc etc, can a weighted rucksack also be used for additional effect?
Because i'm not sure if for planks or push ups for example, would the load on you, just be bad for your back? Or does it work well with the exercise?
Calf raises and squats - would the weight need to be on the front of your body rather than the back? (so wear the rucksack, in front of you instead of behind)

Sorry for the stupid questions, i'm a bit clueless in this regard

Replies

• jim180155
    jim180155 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    Walking/running with weights won't add much of a calorie burn, but if you really want to know the effect, just use one of the online calculators for walking and input your weight, then compare the results with your weight plus ten pounds.

As for weighted bodyweight exercises, yes, you can do that. I do. I have two weighted vests, one at 20 lbs and the other at 40 lbs. I also have a backpack that I put weight plates into, up to 35 lbs. So with different combinations I can add from 5 lbs to 95 lbs in 5 lb increments. The most I'm currently using is 75 lbs, which gets a little uncomfortable on the shoulders if you don't take the vests off in between sets. (Although if you do take them off, you wind up using your whole break adding and removing vests.)

It's okay to use weighted vests on pushups, but start small with 5 or 10 lbs, then increase as needed. I'm 61 years old with three herniated disks in my lower back. I'm currently using 45 lbs on pushups and the weights don't bother my back at all. I wouldn't want to use them on a three minute plank, but pushups are fine.
  • Spyer116
    Spyer116 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Yeah I just tested it there. That's a shame. Thought an extra 5-15 pounds for an entire hour or longer of brisk walking would add up to more than just a mere 20 calories. :(

Ah, that's great then. I have no where no where near that much weights to fit in a bag. I don't have any weights at all. I was just gonna fill it with whatever the heaviest objects I can fit into it would be. Haha.
    Thank you for your detailed response, I really appreciate it!

And 75pounds additional weight and still doing all of those exercises, and at 61 years of age, that's all amazing! You're really in good shape and healthy! :)
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Spyer116 wrote: »
    Does anyone have any idea on how many extra calories are burned when walking (or jogging/running/etc) when you carry extra weight?

0.3 * extra pounds * miles walked.

• newport3158
    newport3158 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I would suggest buying a HRM to get a better idea.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I would suggest buying a HRM to get a better idea.

Not for walking - no - that is incorrect usage of an HRM and will generate potentially huge over-estimates.