Tried my first quest bar after reading all the hype here...

Options

Replies

• pambela2014
    pambela2014 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    They're like any food. Some people like them, some people don't.

I like them. Then again, I also like kale. I think a lot more people have really strong anti-kale sentiment than anti-Quest bar sentiment.

LOL kale hater here Quest are okay just too much $$

• Cortelli
    Cortelli Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    There is a disturbing lack of appreciation for Coconut Cashew in this thread.

The texture is hit or miss, I think, for folks. I personally like (but don't love) the texture; I can see how others wouldn't care for it.

I would buy them again over other protein bars in the future, just because I like the texture and flavor, and especially like the macros compared to others I've tried. I don't have any bitterness or other reactions to sucralose, aspartame, or sugar alcohols so I've got that going for me. I don't hardly ever eat them anymore, but that's because I don't really eat protein bars as snacks very often (I used to) since I got hooked on using protein powder in my coffees.

I tried the microwave thing, and, yes, IMHO it's a nice change. But the reason I might keep around protein bars is to have them available on the go or in a pinch. If the microwave is a requirement for them to be tasty, I'd pass (I don't think it is a requirement).

This thread makes me think maybe I should pick up a box for the first time in a long time for some upcoming travel.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I like the cookie dough one, mostly. I was actually disappointed when I first tried them (ordered the amazon box of the chocolate ones), but by the time I finished it they'd grown on me and I really liked the cookie dough one.

I keep thinking I should cut down on them, but this magical 7-11 near me has started selling them for $2. (It also sells two kinds of Talenti and Think Thin bars, which I also like.) So I keep buying them. The macros/fiber just make them the perfect filling on-the-go snack for me, at least from time to time.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    In all honesty, they are overly-hyped and not as healthy as people think. Yes, they are good, but I mean..

What do you mean?

• BicepsAndBows
    BicepsAndBows Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    You really don't like them? Feel free to mail them to me! Lol. I'm seriously obsessed! The Smores, chocolate chunk, cookies and cream, and cookie dough are so so good! I spend way too much money on Quest bars every week lol. I mean obviously they are a protein bar and a low sugar one, so they aren't going to taste like a brownie or a hot fudge Sunday lol, but for the amazing nutrition you get I think it's pretty damn yummy! Try warming one up in the microwave for about 7 seconds right before you eat it if you want it to be a little softer and more like a dessert :)
  • MarciBkonTrk
    MarciBkonTrk Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    The only one I like is the Vanilla Nut because I think it tastes like a Bit O' Honey bar. But I think 18 grams of fiber at once is not a good idea. The other day I bought South Beach Coconut Crunch bars. 120 calories, 8g fat, 7g fiber, 1g sugar (from the coconut), and 6g protein. These bars are sweetened with Stevia. I have had gastric bypass and cannot tolerate added sugars or alcohol sugars. I like to crumble the bar up and layer it with Oikos Triple Zero Greek Vanilla yogurt and mixed berries. It's a great parfait!
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    But I think 18 grams of fiber at once is not a good idea. The

Why not?
  • Christine_72
    Options

Why not?

it is hard on your stomach (bloating, gas, etc.)...

Oh ok. It's just never affected me that way. Then again i average between 50-60g of fibre a day.

• iwearthejumper32
    iwearthejumper32 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Personally, the cinnamon roll warmed is the business... and I HATE the taste of fake sugar. But! I found that after I ate one, without fail, I would develop stomach pain and indigestion. Booo
  • hncary
    hncary Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Personally, the cinnamon roll warmed is the business... and I HATE the taste of fake sugar. But! I found that after I ate one, without fail, I would develop stomach pain and indigestion. Booo

I always get the stomach pain too. I don't hate the taste by any means, but every single time I try to eat one I feel sick for a good hour or two. Not sure why, but they just don't sit well with me.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    They use different sweeteners in different bars. I think there are three different combinations.

I like the cookies and cream and vanilla almond - but that's it. And they have to be warmed in the microwave.
  • 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Options
    I think they are ok.
    I didn't like the cinnamon roll flavor.
    The lemon one is really good.
    The banana nut muffin tastes just like a banana muffin.
    The brownie one is good.

That's all I have tried so far.
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    hncary wrote: »

I always get the stomach pain too. I don't hate the taste by any means, but every single time I try to eat one I feel sick for a good hour or two. Not sure why, but they just don't sit well with me.

It's the sugar alcohols. Some people have issues digesting them. Check the ingredients on the one you're eating, note which sweetener(s) it has, and try a flavor that uses different sweetener. It may be you're one of the people who can't tolerate any of the polyols, but that's not always the case.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options

Why not?

Oh ok. It's just never affected me that way. Then again i average between 50-60g of fibre a day.

I usually have over 100g fiber a day haha
  • Christine_72
    Options

Why not?

I usually have over 100g fiber a day haha

Awesome! ! And here I was thinking I was doing well. If your diary is open I may have to check it out to get some ideas.
    I'm on my phone at the moment, and it never goes to peoples profiles when I click on them, just goes straight to mine :angry:

• PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    Cortelli wrote: »
    There is a disturbing lack of appreciation for Coconut Cashew in this thread.

That's my favorite one followed by Double Chocolate Chunk.

There's only a few flavors available that don't have sucralose, and it will say "No Artificial Sweeteners" on the top left corner of the wrapper.

Cinnamon Roll
    Chocolate Peanut Butter
    Coconut Cashew
    Double Chocolate Chunk
    Banana Nut Muffin
    Lemon Cream Pie
    Strawberry Cheesecake

I've not tried the banana or lemon. Strawberry cheesecake is my least favorite of the rest. Cinnamon roll and chocolate PB are kind of even.
  • hncary
    hncary Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    JPW1990 wrote: »
    hncary wrote: »

It's the sugar alcohols. Some people have issues digesting them. Check the ingredients on the one you're eating, note which sweetener(s) it has, and try a flavor that uses different sweetener. It may be you're one of the people who can't tolerate any of the polyols, but that's not always the case.

I will check when I get home, but so far its been chocolate chip cookie dough and cinnamon roll. I can't remember the other right now.