Options
13»

Replies

• atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    cavia wrote: »
    Tinned sardines

I'm so tired right now that I read this as "trained sardines" and was wondering what the heck?
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    Before I crash - a can of pinto beans (I rinse them out first to reduce the sodium) has nearly 20 grams of protein, about 300 calories, and if you chop some onion in them, they are delicious. It's a southern thing, of course. I suppose you could add a touch of BBQ sauce in them if you'd like. But you won't want to eat for at least another four or five hours!
  • Eudoxy
    Eudoxy Posts: 391 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    jonpat21 wrote: »
    Lexicpt wrote: »
    I like Greek yogurt, fish, cottage cheese and beans.

I eat Greek yogurt just about everyday. I'm not real handy in the kitchen what kind of fish? And do you eat just beans plain?

If you have rice with beans it's a complete protein (all essential amino acids).

I like to cook pinto beans with a ham hock, here's a general recipe. If you add some fried meatballs it's delicious and protein packed (not so low cal but you won't need the rice) :)

http://www.cooks.com/recipe/gl9sm89a/pinto-beans-and-ham-hocks.html
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    Tuna salad made with tuna, chopped egg, a little sweet relish and mayo. Lean meat, chicken, turkey, pork tenderloin (more expensive, but no waste), beef jerky, string cheese, yogurt. Those are my main sources.
  • jonpat21
    jonpat21 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Eudoxy wrote: »

I eat Greek yogurt just about everyday. I'm not real handy in the kitchen what kind of fish? And do you eat just beans plain?

If you have rice with beans it's a complete protein (all essential amino acids).

I like to cook pinto beans with a ham hock, here's a general recipe. If you add some fried meatballs it's delicious and protein packed (not so low cal but you won't need the rice) :)

Thanks for the reply definitely saved the recipe I will try this it seems simple! Thanks again!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    26 foods you should learn to cook in your 20's.
    26 foods
  • Lexicpt
    Lexicpt Posts: 209 Member
    Options

I love seasoned tuna and salmon on the grill or baked in foil with EVOO and spices. As far as the beans, I like fat free refried beans over a taco salad. Black beans pair well with fish. I like making my own hummus with a mix of garbanzo beans and peas. I also enjoy white bean salad. :)

• StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Wild caught salmon is lower fat and therefore lower calorie than farm raised salmon. Just an FYI. And $8 for 2 pounds frozen at Walmart. Prices may vary regionally.
  • Eudoxy
    Eudoxy Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Eudoxy wrote: »

Thanks for the reply definitely saved the recipe I will try this it seems simple! Thanks again!

You're welcome, I hope you like it. If you do add hamburger, kind of break it into pieces in the pan with a spatula, brown it, and throw it in and let it simmer in the pot for a while with everything. It's great for leftovers, and freezing, too.

• kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese
    Tilapia
    Yogurt
    Peas
    Quest bars (not low calorie but tasty)
  • eileensofianmushinfine
    Options
    Boy ... everything is making me hungry. Not! I'm new to the site, and i have been tracking my diet as well. Protain is hard to get enough except by eating red meats. I'm can only eat so much fish and chicken. With beans nothing sound good with out sauces or butter. Have not bought the protein shakes, but thats how i got fat as a teenager. That weight gain stuff.

just a few thoughts...i've used black beans in 2 different recipes...an asian 3-bean salad and a corn and black bean salsa. both are seriously yummy.

for protein shakes, you want one that's high in protein and geared towards weight loss (not muscle gain). I make mine with 1 cup of 1% milk and 1 tbsp of olive oil (to hit my fat macro). Put in a blender with ice -- tastes just like a chocolate milkshake!