6' Tall 137lbs - Need Advice Please

Options
Hello, everyone. I'm a 45 year old man. In the past 14 months, I've been having health issues. A bit over a year ago, I was 212lbs. I am now 137lbs. Have had stomach issues. The doctors assure me that the issue has finally been fixed, but I am left looking like a POW camp victim. I have to maintain a healthy, low fat diet. That being said, I just can't seem to put on the pounds eating healthy. Any of you have any advice to offer? Thanks in advance.

Replies

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I'm assuming the low fat is a dietary restriction due to your health problems? It is going to be a little more difficult to add in calories with keeping low fat, but you should be able to do it. You're just going to have to add in more calories of the other two macronutrients. Focus on carbs and lean proteins. Rice, oats, chicken, turkey, etc.
  • scottf4413
    scottf4413 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Yes, the low fat diet is due to that. I've been eating a lot, but feel so full all the time it's crazy. So I'm trying to find something hi calorie but that I won't need to eat huge amounts to do the trick. Thanks much for the reply!
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Can you drink calories between meals? Make smoothies with low fat yoghurt (the high sugar kind), rice milk (or something else with carbs), banana, dates, protein powder?

• scottf4413
    Options
    Hi Living, yes, smoothies are great. I haven't tried adding anything other than fruits/veg and almond milk. I had thought the powders were hi fat. I'll look into that. Thanks!
  • Mongolian_Fire_Oil
    Options
    been there. excercise and put it on in muscle by taking in 1 to 1.5 grams of protein per pound of body weight with equal carbohydrate calories but start slow. start with walking, then jogging then running and with weights start light with high reps building stamina before building strength. unless you already have good stamina, then you can pack it on quicker and you have the advantage of muscle memory.

supplements.. if your not taking anything anabolic perscription or otherwise, I would suggest 25mg ostabol a day. It's about equal in anabolic strength as testosterone and it won't kill your natural testosterone production. I only take it for PCT. google it.
  • scottf4413
    Options
    Thanks for the advice, MFO. I'll look that up.
  • auddii
    Options
    Also fruit juice will have similar carbs to fruit but you'll be able to consume more because there isn't any bulk.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    scottf4413 wrote: »
    Hello, everyone. I'm a 45 year old man. In the past 14 months, I've been having health issues. A bit over a year ago, I was 212lbs. I am now 137lbs. Have had stomach issues. The doctors assure me that the issue has finally been fixed, but I am left looking like a POW camp victim. I have to maintain a healthy, low fat diet. That being said, I just can't seem to put on the pounds eating healthy. Any of you have any advice to offer? Thanks in advance.

Man I was 135 when I graduated high school 20 yrs ago. I know how you feel.

Don't eat "healthy" then.....
    Have your healthy foods...like fruits and veggies....but then add in some other stuff, fun stuff.
  • scottf4413
    Options
    MityMax96 wrote: »

Man I was 135 when I graduated high school 20 yrs ago. I know how you feel.

Don't eat "healthy" then.....
    Have your healthy foods...like fruits and veggies....but then add in some other stuff, fun stuff.

I sure wish I could! Heh. But with my health, fun stuff isn't really an option. I'd love nothing more than some pizza or lasagna or a bag of Snicker lol. Thanks for taking the time to reply anyway, though.
  • MityMax96
    Options
    Then look for foods that are high in fat that you can eat. :wink:
  • auddii
    Options

He did specify he had to eat low fat. Could be a gallbladder issue or something similar.
  • eweadock
    eweadock Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Hi ScottF... I don't have your problem, but my husband has trouble keeping weight on. He's 62, 6'3" and weighs 150 fully clothed. He keeps nuts of various types (almonds, cashews, pecans) around to munch on (even when he doesn't feel hungry), and does mild weight lifting daily. He adds protein powder drinks when he feels he is losing ground and needs to gain. Best of luck!!! Carbs are great, but I'm just not sure that a lot of grain products are good for any of us.
  • MityMax96
    edited April 2015
    Options
    auddii wrote: »

He did specify he had to eat low fat. Could be a gallbladder issue or something similar.

Oh, missed that
    Scratch my recommendation
  • scottf4413
    Options
    Thank you all for your tips! Such a great community! Yes, I've had my gallbladder removed and have issues related to that, that's why the low fat requirement. Thanks again!
  • scottf4413
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Well, since installing this app on Tuesday and following the recommended daily intake of 2,460 calories, I've gained almost two pounds. I'm 139.4 now. Pretty psyched even though, by what I've read on these forums, it's most likely water weight. Still, anything is better than nothing to me at this point.
  • JayRuby84
    JayRuby84 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Congrats on gaining the two! And great job finding your target cal goal to get you where you need to be!
  • rayneface
    rayneface Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Grains like oats, brown rice, whole wheat pastas, and barley low in fat, and calorie-dense.

Beans also match your requirements perfectly. They can be fit into any meal and are very versatile. Add them to egg omelettes for breakfast (use only egg whites since watching fat), make burritos, add to rice, soups, or re-fried beans spread on a whole wheat pita.
  • scottf4413
    Options
    Thanks Rayne and Jay!
  • DrinkwineMichael
    DrinkwineMichael Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Have you considered trying the GOMAD (gallon of milk a day) approach? While the lowfat or skim varieties are much lower in calories, they still have a great carb/protein balance and you can supplement a LOT of calories that way. For example: One gallon of skim milk a day has VERY minimal fat, yet 1,376 calories. 192g carbs and 128g protein.

Another great option is homemade no knead bread. Simply yeast, flour, salt, and water. No fat but lots of flavor with minimal time or effort spent making it.
  • scottf4413
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Have you considered trying the GOMAD (gallon of milk a day) approach?

Hi there! No, actually, I hadn't even thought of that. Great tip, thanks for that! I'm finding it VERY hard to eat the 2460 calories this app recommends me to consume daily. I'm always super full, even on waking. Granted, I just started eating so much last Tuesday, so I'm not used to the increased intake yet. The milk idea seems like that will take care of a lot of that. Thanks again.