Goal setter or habit former?

Hi, What are peoples views on goal setting or habit forming. For me forming healthy habits with exercise and diet works best, I have no interest if given a goal I aim for fitness and healthy eating to be part of who I am ...hang on is that a goal :o:)

Replies

• whimsy38
    whimsy38 Posts: 158 Member
    Interesting question. I've been thinking about this lately too. I know I want to build healthy habits, but at New Years I saw that I had the same goals as always: be lighter, be healthier. Fast forwarded I've been working through some goal setting programs and there is something really beneficial about being able to tick off an accomplishment, like having the Fitbit vibrate when I get 10000 steps
  • AbbyH88
    AbbyH88 Posts: 1 Member
    I've recently found an app to help me practice goals/habits...it's called Pocket Coach. So far, I'm well underway of making 3 new habits. I hope they stick! Will be interested to follow this convo and see what others say on this topic. Thanks for starting it!
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Habit forming works best for me
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    tumblr_inline_ngt1tyvoZM1t67qit.jpg

I don't think they are mutually exclusive.

I'm a big believer in establishing habits. That's what has been making me successful this time around (almost to 1 year, where the longest I had ever done this previously was 3 months). I focus on my habits and as long as I stick to them, I'm happy regardless of my progress.

However, that doesn't mean that I can't set goals. I actually look at my habits as daily goals. My daily goals are usually something like 1. Stay within calories (which also means accurate logging) 2. 10,000 steps (measured with fitbit) and 3. follow my training plan (mix of cardio and strength training). They are daily goals that establish my habits.

But I also set long term goals. I'm trying to hit 50lbs lost by my one year MFP anniversary (I hate setting time-bound goals on weight loss, but this one is aiming low, so I should easily hit it). I also want to consistently hit a 10 minute mile pace when running (I'm sooo close). I want to be able to do 1 pull up. I want to complete the Rugged Maniac race that I'm signed up for in September. I want to get into a size 8 (currently a 10).

These are all goals that I will hit BECAUSE of my habits. I really don't see them as two separate entities.
  • Foxgym
    Foxgym Posts: 59 Member
    whimsy38 wrote: »
    Interesting question. I've been thinking about this lately too. I know I want to build healthy habits, but at New Years I saw that I had the same goals as always: be lighter, be healthier. Fast forwarded I've been working through some goal setting programs and there is something really beneficial about being able to tick off an accomplishment, like having the Fitbit vibrate when I get 10000 steps

Thats good, looks like you are well on your way to building healthy habits with small motivational steps, good approach :smile:

• Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    I agree with BOTH. Healthy habits lead to attaining your goals of a healthier stronger body. Goals also give you a direction on which habits you need to change or strengthen.
  • Foxgym

I'm a big believer in establishing habits. That's what has been making me successful this time around (almost to 1 year, where the longest I had ever done this previously was 3 months). I focus on my habits and as long as I stick to them, I'm happy regardless of my progress.

However, that doesn't mean that I can't set goals. I actually look at my habits as daily goals. My daily goals are usually something like 1. Stay within calories (which also means accurate logging) 2. 10,000 steps (measured with fitbit) and 3. follow my training plan (mix of cardio and strength training). They are daily goals that establish my habits.

But I also set long term goals. I'm trying to hit 50lbs lost by my one year MFP anniversary (I hate setting time-bound goals on weight loss, but this one is aiming low, so I should easily hit it). I also want to consistently hit a 10 minute mile pace when running (I'm sooo close). I want to be able to do 1 pull up. I want to complete the Rugged Maniac race that I'm signed up for in September. I want to get into a size 8 (currently a 10).

These are all goals that I will hit BECAUSE of my habits. I really don't see them as two separate entities.

Yes you are right, you have a good balance of healthy habits building into goals. What I find difficult is consciously setting a challenge or goal, like: Running a 10K in a certain time, or saying 'I will bench X amount by june 10' and so on. I can see that some people love to push themselves in a carrot/stick style, but I find this difficult bordering on unmotivational, it makes my enthusiasm die and sucks any enjoyment out. I have built exercise/activity into my life as hobbies, fun play and it is habit for me. :smile:

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    I've always been a goal setter. And I have a competitive nature, so I rarely fail to hit the goal. But, once the goal is met, I lose interest and have to set another goal, and then another, and after a while it just seems like the goals become too much work and I slack off.

So, this time there is no goal other than weight loss. I don't have a time or even a specific goal weight. I'm just trying to form a habit of consuming less calories in general. It's slow going and not as much fun as working toward a specific goal, but I'm hoping it will be longer lasting.
  • Foxgym
    AbbyH88 wrote: »
    I've recently found an app to help me practice goals/habits...it's called Pocket Coach. So far, I'm well underway of making 3 new habits. I hope they stick! Will be interested to follow this convo and see what others say on this topic. Thanks for starting it!

Thats interesting, But isn't it wierd, an App like that would simply irritate me. :smile:
  • Foxgym
    thorsmom01 wrote: »
    Habit forming works best for me

I have come to that conclusion :smile:
  • kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Habit former. I can have goals and a way to reach them, but if I haven't developed the habit to keep me going, I'm quitting 2 weeks in.
  • lydiakitten
    lydiakitten Posts: 132 Member
    Frankly, for me it's something in between. I set a vague and flexible goal, like "I want to be satisfied with my body in a bikini", that is largely independent of numerical values and such, and then I build the habits that push towards that general direction.

Also, I like to use vanity a little, as weird as that sounds. Vanity is a source of motivation for me; I tell myself things like "woah, my hard work is paying off, look at this, such badass queenly quads" and they help me make the habits stick.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Foxgym wrote: »

Yes you are right, you have a good balance of healthy habits building into goals. What I find difficult is consciously setting a challenge or goal, like: Running a 10K in a certain time, or saying 'I will bench X amount by june 10' and so on. I can see that some people love to push themselves in a carrot/stick style, but I find this difficult bordering on unmotivational, it makes my enthusiasm die and sucks any enjoyment out. I have built exercise/activity into my life as hobbies, fun play and it is habit for me. :smile:

This is why I try to avoid putting timelines on my goals. I set a goal, but as long as I'm progress toward it, I'm happy. One day, I'll be able to run a 10k (it is one of my goals), but I'm letting my progress determine when that will be instead of a specific date.
  • Foxgym
    Thanks everyone, it seems that for many of us the line between motivation and habit can blur, while for others habits grow out of challenge and motivational targets. Very interesting views :smile:
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,323 Member
    I dont' set hard goals either. I want to habitually live a very healthy life. I do have soft goals (meaning they are not in stone) and I based them on my progress but I see that as natural progression of habituatlly living a fit healthy life.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    I'm all for setting easily achievable goals, and forming habits during good times.
  • Foxgym
    urloved33 wrote: »
    I dont' set hard goals either. I want to habitually live a very healthy life. I do have soft goals (meaning they are not in stone) and I based them on my progress but I see that as natural progression of habituatlly living a fit healthy life.

Great approach :)
  • Foxgym
    I'm all for setting easily achievable goals, and forming habits during good times.

I'm with you on this, but I would add that once fully developed, good habits can be a foundation to carry us through difficult time, as I see it exercise is the best stress reliever, and eating mostly highly nutritious 'unprocessed foods' will keep body chemistry balanced which also helps stress. :)

• samgamgee
    samgamgee Posts: 398 Member
    Definitely agree that a combo of habits and goals is the way to go. My goal is to weigh 119 and be able to wear my old clothes. This gives me something to aim for, to daydream about when I get grumpy and discouraged. The habits that will help me reach that goal weight and, more importantly, maintain it, are little things like being more active, eating well (my carefully counted breakfast almonds are on the verge of becoming not just a habit but a ritual to start my day!), being aware of my intake and learning to appropriately manage my booze calories (went out to lunch yesterday, had gin & slimline tonic rather than the enticing fruit flavoured cider stocked in the fridges).
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member
    I'm very goal driven, I'm very self-competitive as well as competitive with others so it suits my personality.

Habits definitely make a big difference though, always taking stairs, walking or cycling for local journeys, lunch break at work is exercise time not eating time as examples.

Some of my previous goals (like weight) are now givens and so a habit.

For this year I have 4 goals, 3 are lifetimes bests, 1 probably unobtainable and 1 fun goal.