Goal setter or habit former?

2»

Replies

• deathninja82
    deathninja82 Posts: 108 Member
    Habits, if I don't set goals I can't be a disappointment.
  • rambabean
    rambabean Posts: 21 Member
    I love the idea of a vague overall goal and then specific, small and attainable daily goals which turn into habits!

I really struggle to motivate myself into sticking to healthy eating for more than, ohhhh, three days so going to give this way of thinking a go :)
  • Foxgym
    Foxgym Posts: 59 Member
    samgamgee wrote: »
    Definitely agree that a combo of habits and goals is the way to go. My goal is to weigh 119 and be able to wear my old clothes. This gives me something to aim for, to daydream about when I get grumpy and discouraged. The habits that will help me reach that goal weight and, more importantly, maintain it, are little things like being more active, eating well (my carefully counted breakfast almonds are on the verge of becoming not just a habit but a ritual to start my day!), being aware of my intake and learning to appropriately manage my booze calories (went out to lunch yesterday, had gin & slimline tonic rather than the enticing fruit flavoured cider stocked in the fridges).

Great :) Aims and daydreams are good things to foster, BUT a cold cider on a hot day takes serious strength to resist, hats off to you lol
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Why not use both? They are not mutually exclusive. They complement eah other. If you only do one or the other then you are missing out.
  • Foxgym
    rambabean wrote: »
    I love the idea of a vague overall goal and then specific, small and attainable daily goals which turn into habits!

I really struggle to motivate myself into sticking to healthy eating for more than, ohhhh, three days so going to give this way of thinking a go :)

One week hold out for 4 healthy eating days and given time it can snowball, apply the 80/20% rule. Remember your only human Even Tony Horton has a cupcake occasionally https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylE9EkvTNp0
    :smiley:
  • Foxgym
    Habits, if I don't set goals I can't be a disappointment.

Yep I can relate to that :smile:
  • Foxgym
    sijomial wrote: »
    I'm very goal driven, I'm very self-competitive as well as competitive with others so it suits my personality.

Habits definitely make a big difference though, always taking stairs, walking or cycling for local journeys, lunch break at work is exercise time not eating time as examples.

Some of my previous goals (like weight) are now givens and so a habit.

For this year I have 4 goals, 3 are lifetimes bests, 1 probably unobtainable and 1 fun goal.

Oh yes, getting into the habit of 'NEAT' can seriously ramp up the daily burn.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Foxgym wrote: »
    I'm all for setting easily achievable goals, and forming habits during good times.

I'm with you on this, but I would add that once fully developed, good habits can be a foundation to carry us through difficult time, as I see it exercise is the best stress reliever, and eating mostly highly nutritious 'unprocessed foods' will keep body chemistry balanced which also helps stress. :)

Yes, that was exactly what I meant :) Thank you, very important! I'm not all that fluent in English when it comes to those intricate explanations, lol :p
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Habits for me as well. I find that with goal-setting I either miss and then hate myself for it, or end up doing unhealthy things to reach the goal and then hate myself for that. I guess my goal is to keep up the habit of getting regular exercise and being mindful of my eating.
  • bri170lb
    bri170lb Posts: 1,375 Member
    I set short term, mid term, and long term goals and they have helped me to create new habits.

For example: 1.5 years ago my short term (daily) goal was to only have bread, pasta, potatoes or rice for 1 meal per day.

My mid range goal was to cut these things out of my diet almost completely to control my blood sugar and to control my urge to binge on these things.

My long term goal was to be able to commit to actual dieting without bingeing on carb.

I created a new habit and on the first of this year I was able to start reducing my calories without craving carbs and without bingeing for the first time in my life.

My new goals are leading to new habits involve logging food and exercise.

My ultimate habit is to be able to maintain my goal weight permenatly and I plan to get the one little goal at a time.
  • ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    I find that creating habits takes me a lot farther than setting goals. Usually when I hit a goal, I stop there. When I create a habit and just keep grinding through, I wake up a few months later with the discovery that I left my loose goal in the dust and should have aimed higher anyway. ;-)
  • bri170lb
    bri170lb Posts: 1,375 Member
    Each small goal is a commitment to myself. I am not a competitive person at all but I do feel strongly about keeping my commitments.

I have found the "just for today daily goals" thread invaluable because I don't like to cheat on my promises to myself.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    There are good goals and bad goals.

Goal-Setting-Heidipowell.net_.jpg

My pet peeve is a goal to lose a set amount of weight by a certain date. First of all, daily weight is not directly under our control, whereas setting up a new habit is. Second of all, what if the goal setter nearly makes goal but misses? Will they feel good about their achievement?

I like setting up weekly or bi-weekly habit change goals, re-evaluate and adjust as necessary. This technique I learned from the Chronic Disease Self Management Program.

My favourite goals these days are all fitness goals. Easy to track and easy to see results. Any weight loss is a side-benefit.