Should you force yourself to drink more?

Options

Replies

• emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    You're studying biology and you don't understand the importance of water and your body tissues/function?

Erm, okay.

Sufficient water is needed to sustain really important things like blood volume and pressure, and to carry nutrients to body tissue. It also flushes out your bladder and helps to prevent kidney infections as a result. Once you get a few bladder infections you'll realize how important that is. That's why you go by the color of your urine - if it's darker yellow, you're dehydrated and not getting enough.

• MomTo3Lovez
    MomTo3Lovez Posts: 800 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    999tigger wrote: »
    Just let him get on with it he obviously doesnt need to be hydrated.

I'm a girl.

Ok so I googled how much a person should drink, and I went on the mayo clinic website and according to what I read it says that the recommended FLUID intake for a female is 9 cups(2.2 liters) a day and for male 13 cups (3 liters) a day. It doesn't have to be water just some form of fluid. Here's the link if you want to read it and the recommendation on how much is from the Institute of Medicine.

Some people just prefer water for the majority of their fluid intake while others do not.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/in-depth/water/art-20044256?pg=1

ETA: For me personally I feel more hydrated when I drink more water throughout the day, and again for me personally when my urine is lighter in color I feel better also, not so sluggish and I have noticed that I only feel like that when I do drink at least 8 glasses of water a day...but again that is just me, everyone is different just do what works for you.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    May I ask what the problem is in looking in the toilet bowl just to check

You may well not be dehydrated ..we get fluids from food and all drinks

The 8 glasses of water a day is bunkum but the pee colour isn't

You are probably absolutely fine

One last comment: you're 19... You should not be sedentary.. Move your butt more :bigsmile:

(And people think you're male because your avatar is)
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    May I ask what the problem is in looking in the toilet bowl just to check

You may well not be dehydrated ..we get fluids from food and all drinks

The 8 glasses of water a day is bunkum but the pee colour isn't

You are probably absolutely fine

One last comment: you're 19... You should not be sedentary.. Move your butt more :bigsmile:

(And people think you're male because your avatar is)
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    Wait.. are you asking what's wrong with being slightly dehydrated?

Urine color is an indication of hydration level. The more hydrated you are, the better your body can function. Your muscles need adequate hydration for repair. Your digestion needs adequate hydration to function properly. Your skin needs adequate hydration to maintain elasticity/repair/replacement. Your immune system requires you to to be adequately hydrated in order to function fully. Your cells, in general, require adequate hydration in order to function.

Just because you haven't get attributed any symptoms to your hydration level in 19 years does not mean that your body isn't suffering for it.
  • noobletmcnugget
    noobletmcnugget Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies guys! General consensus then is that the urine colour thing is right. Thanks for the links. I was just confused as to whether thirst was sufficient for ensuring adequate hydration. I always thought that it would've been.
  • noobletmcnugget
    Options
    emdeesea wrote: »
    You're studying biology and you don't understand the importance of water and your body tissues/function?

Erm, okay.

Sufficient water is needed to sustain really important things like blood volume and pressure, and to carry nutrients to body tissue. It also flushes out your bladder and helps to prevent kidney infections as a result. Once you get a few bladder infections you'll realize how important that is. That's why you go by the color of your urine - if it's darker yellow, you're dehydrated and not getting enough.

I'm not stupid. You don't have to be rude. I was just wondering whether thirst was sufficient in ensuring adequate hydration.
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options

I'm not stupid. You don't have to be rude. I was just wondering whether thirst was sufficient in ensuring adequate hydration.

Well, honestly, when you say things like this:

"If it's darker it just means your kidney is concentrating it more by reabsorbing more water. There's nothing wrong with that. You therefore still get the water you need, just by not getting rid of as much instead of drinking more..."

...It makes people wonder.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    The 8 glasses of water a day thing is mostly a myth. We get plenty of fluids from our food, and there's nothing magical about the number 8. Drink if you're thirsty.

cbc.ca/news/health/8-glasses-of-water-a-day-an-urban-myth-1.1196386
  • noobletmcnugget
    Options

"If it's darker it just means your kidney is concentrating it more by reabsorbing more water. There's nothing wrong with that. You therefore still get the water you need, just by not getting rid of as much instead of drinking more..."

It's hardly ridiculous to think that reabsorbing more water using an organ that has evolved for that purpose isn't such a bad thing.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    so why would you ask the question in the first place if something is not niggling you

to be honest we can get away with treating our body like sh1t in our youth .. seriously it bounds and rebounds no matter what we put it through .. you should be looking at what you're laying down for your future self - the person you are going to be in 30 years or so

good musculature, good cardiovascular fitness, well-rounded nutrition, avoiding too much excess of stuff you know is bad for you (drugs / alcohol / loose women ;)) and yes hydrating properly

*falls on deaf ears*

I asked the question because I always see people harping on about how you need to drink X number of glasses of water a day, etc.

Haha loose men since I'm a straight female :wink:

Thanks for the reply. I hope to set up good habits for the rest of my life. :)

you don't need to drink X amount of water per day...those are just guidelines, not hard and fast rules. Hydration is important though...I will leave it to you to actually do your own research on that..it's pretty well established...not really a controversial topic or anything...

853.gif

• Sued0nim
    edited April 2015
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    What the hell is the point of coming in to ask a question if every single answer someone gives yoh, you have the rebuttal to it with what you think is the "correct" answer. Seriously, it makes no sense. If you know the answers to it all what are you looking to hear? Are you waiting for someone to say don't worry you're doing great?

Hey man, you're doing great. Keep doing what you're doing.

tumblr_inline_nfwnwo9Myi1slq0wi.gif

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options

It's hardly ridiculous to think that reabsorbing more water using an organ that has evolved for that purpose isn't such a bad thing.

I'm not sure you really understand how kidneys work.

http://kidney.niddk.nih.gov/kudiseases/pubs/yourkidneys/
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options

Erm, okay.

Yet you think being dehydrated on any level is ok...'cuz kidneys....

This isn't exactly a controversial subject...hydration is important...you don't need X glasses of water specifically, but hydration is important.
  • noobletmcnugget
    Options

I'm not sure you really understand how kidneys work.

http://kidney.niddk.nih.gov/kudiseases/pubs/yourkidneys/

What part of that did I contradict?
  • noobletmcnugget
    Options
    I was just asking whether concentrated urine was just a byproduct of your kidneys acting to prevent dehydration...
  • noobletmcnugget
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Is there a specific university that all these girls that come here lately to MFP are going to? I mean really, who teaches there? The count from Sesame Street?

You're so funny.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    are you dehydrated

check your pee ... if it's not light straw colour then drink more

Urine-Hydration-Chart.jpg
    6 -8 WTF?

If my pee was ever that colour I'd flip