Stronglifts for Hypertrophy?

Options
124»

Replies

• MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    Oh and then when you see some of these models, with these amazing physiques....and they have attained those physiques in like 1 - 3 yrs.....
    You can be pretty sure that they were doing some gear.
    Especially when they are scrawny as hell at 16 yrs old and then by the time they are 19 or 20, they are 40 pounds heavier, and carved out of stone.
  • MityMax96
    edited April 2015
    Options
    This is not possible in 3 years. Naturally.

lazar-angelov-evolution.jpg

Lazar%2BAngelov%2BTransformation.jpg
  • keithcw_the_first
    keithcw_the_first Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Well, that's a little disheartening. Although not entirely unexpected.
  • wolfsbayne
    wolfsbayne Posts: 3,116 Member
    Options
    MityMax96 wrote: »

How long does that take naturally, generally?
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    wolfsbayne wrote: »

It doesn't really (with minor exemptions made for the extremely genetic elite), and if they are in that sort of condition... a very long time. Lazar holds that physique all year round too.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I'm just saying I think there's a false dichotomy between getting strong and getting heavy. This dude is heavy, strong, and doesn't have that powerlifter sloppiness that sometimes happens.

Yes he's an Olympian and yes, he may be receiving assistance. But I think in the spirit of the linked article from T-Nation, that's par for the course in this mostly theoretical discussion.

Ah, ok gotcha.

There are some very aesthetic powerlifters out there as well however, especially in the lower weight classes:

jesse-e1382829268593.jpg
    Jessi Norris

Damien5.jpg
    Damien Pezzuti

Countless others....Many dual sport athletes such as the above

Tnation is mostly garbage articles... Rarely do they contribute quality now days.

Agreed - but the article was by Shoenfeld and Contreras who apply evidence based knowledge as well as a wealth of experience personally and as coached- it seems to have been taken out of context however. The type of training and the way they train is the main gist. Same as bb'ers now taking things from PL'er training, PL'ers are taking things from BB'er training.

Layne Norton is a great example - won his weight class USAPL Nationals (which was extremely competitive) as well as his obvious BB'ing success. The natty thing...hmmmmm...

Another one is Alberto Nunez (who is natty) - he competed at USAPL Nationals a week after a BB'ing show IIRC so he was uber lean. Did pretty well too.
  • LolBroScience
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Sarauk2sf wrote: »
    I'm just saying I think there's a false dichotomy between getting strong and getting heavy. This dude is heavy, strong, and doesn't have that powerlifter sloppiness that sometimes happens.

Yes he's an Olympian and yes, he may be receiving assistance. But I think in the spirit of the linked article from T-Nation, that's par for the course in this mostly theoretical discussion.

Ah, ok gotcha.

There are some very aesthetic powerlifters out there as well however, especially in the lower weight classes:

jesse-e1382829268593.jpg
    Jessi Norris

Damien5.jpg
    Damien Pezzuti

Tnation is mostly garbage articles... Rarely do they contribute quality now days.

Agreed - but the article was by Shoenfeld and Contreras who apply evidence based knowledge as well as a wealth of experience personally and as coached- it seems to have been taken out of context however. The type of training and the way they train is the main gist. Same as bb'ers now taking things from PL'er training, PL'ers are taking things from BB'er training.

Layne Norton is a great example - won USAPL Nationals as well as his obvious BB'ing success.

Another one is Alberto Nunez (who is natty) - he competed at USAPL Nationals a week after a BB'ing show IIRC so he was uber lean. Did pretty well too.

Why you always quote me and confuse me?

• Sarauk2sf
    edited April 2015
    Options

Ah, ok gotcha.

jesse-e1382829268593.jpg
    Jessi Norris

Damien5.jpg
    Damien Pezzuti

Layne Norton is a great example - won USAPL Nationals as well as his obvious BB'ing success.

Why you always quote me and confuse me

Coz I am stalking you obvi...

ETA: I need to be clearer that I am agreeing with you and not busting yo nutz
  • LolBroScience
    edited April 2015
    Options

Ah, ok gotcha.

jesse-e1382829268593.jpg
    Jessi Norris

Damien5.jpg
    Damien Pezzuti

Stalk me to my face plz.

But, I assume you were replying to the person that I was quoting and not me, rite?
  • LolBroScience
    Options
    Das it mane.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

Ah, ok gotcha.

jesse-e1382829268593.jpg
    Jessi Norris

Damien5.jpg
    Damien Pezzuti

Stalk me to my face plz

I could so FIFY that.....but its a family show, so I will not.
  • Sarauk2sf
    edited April 2015
    Options

Ah, ok gotcha.

jesse-e1382829268593.jpg
    Jessi Norris

Damien5.jpg
    Damien Pezzuti

Stalk me to my face plz.

But, I assume you were replying to the person that I was quoting and not me, rite?

I was clarifying the t-nation article - and agreeing with you (I need to be clearer as I keep quoting you and end up looking like I am disagreeing when I am not :flowerforyou:.
  • MityMax96
    Options
    wolfsbayne wrote: »

I would say a long time.
    He is about 30 right now, born in 1984, 5'9", and weighs between 194 - 205 (THAT IS HUGE FOR a 5'9" guy)
    I saw one place that said he got into lifting around 2006...if the 2010 pic is accurate, then who knows really.
    I myself have been lifting religiously since Feb. of 95, so just over 20 yrs now.
    I am 6'1" and currently weigh in at 175, my heaviest ever was 196, and wasn't muscle.
    I graduated HS at 17, 6'0" and 135 lbs. So in 20 yrs, I have put on 40 pounds...of which I would say 30 - 35 of it is muscle.

Me in July 2013 ~183 lbs
    2013-July_zpsljycbfll.jpg

Me in July 2014, ~172 lbs
    2014-07-28019_zps785ec5cc.jpg

So that was 19 yrs of lifting.

Keep in mind, that back in the day, Arnold was 6'2" and 220 lbs when on stage.
    And we know he used roids.