Appetite suppressants

Options
I am on a specific diet and am very hungry. Granted, it's only day 3 but...I was wondering if there is an appetite suppressant that anyone has tried that does not cause that jittery caffeine feeling. I just want it to curb my hunger between meals a bit. Please don't say I need to eat more...no I do not. I am eating proper calories and plenty of protein for me to lose wight. I just want a little added help.
Thank you!

Replies

• girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    There really isn't anything. The best you can do is be patient, you may get used to the lower calories, or try out different ways of increasing fat, protein and fiber, or (I can't help but add) try a small increase in calories (perhaps balance this out with an increase in exercise).
  • littled1986
    littled1986 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I've never tried appetite suppressants, but I can tell you that after about a week and a half of calorie counting and portion control it felt like my appetite naturally changed. Just stick to it and the amount that you're eating will start to feel right. Make sure you drink plenty of water because thirst can make you think you're hungry when you're not. If I feel super hungry (like I want to binge) I'll eat a large portion of steamed veggies for usually less than 50 calories and it does the trick.
  • marilandica
    marilandica Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Drink water or other no-calorie beverages (I like to make iced tea with herbal teas to avoid the caffeine) in large quantities. One of the important lessons I learned in this process is to respond to the ravenous feeling with a glass of water.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    If you are eating plenty of calories and protein, then why not open your diary so we can better help you?

Because, really, if you are "very hungry" you probably aren't eating enough. Appetite suppressants are not well received around here - and for good reason. They can be dangerous and they don't solve the actual problem. What happens when you get down to goal weight? Are you going to drop the pills? Then what? You will still be hungry and you will still be inexperienced at managing your diet without a crutch. Then you will gain weight (or be miserable) and go right back on the pills. Vicious cycle.
  • flippy1234
    flippy1234 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    Thanks to all of you. My calories are 1200. I think the best thing for me to do is just wait a little longer. My stomach needs to shrink. LOL and then I won't be so hungry.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Proper nutrition should be manageable with a reasonable deficit.

A reasonable deficit is based upon your gender, height, weight, age, and activity level. Did your specific diet take these factors into consideration? Not everyone can (should) lose weight at the same pace.

Protein, fat, and fiber are all filling. Some people stay full with low fat protein....not me. Others stay full with lots of fat-free green veggies (fiber) not me....sounds like you need a little more wiggle room to vary your diet....so you can figure out what works for you.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    Food.
  • julesxo
    julesxo Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Drink water
  • flippy1234
    Options
    I drink tons of water...However, 3 days down and 3 lbs lost. The diet is working AND, I am less hungry. So, my body is getting use to the less food thing and I think I will be fine.
    I have balance of protein and carbs. I just think I was eating way too much before the diet. It is amazing how little food we really should be eating. As Americans, we totally overeat. It's the more is more motto instead of less is more.
  • rockmama72
    rockmama72 Posts: 815 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    The best appetite suppressant is the voice in your head that says, "I want to lose weight more than I want to eat more than I need to eat." Also more protein.
  • flippy1234
    Options
    You are correct rockmama72!
  • LovelyIvy466
    LovelyIvy466 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Massively under eating may help you lose faster, but it's very difficult to maintain that weight loss. Plus it can be VERY difficult to gain sufficient nutrition when under eating, which can have an effect on your energy levels, sleep, hormones, etc.

Good luck in your efforts, but if you are massively hungry all the time then you probably need to eat. Just eat slightly less calories than you burn. Do that consistently for a long time.
  • runningagainstmyself
    runningagainstmyself Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    Increase the amount of protein, healthy fats, and fiber you're eating.
  • flippy1234
    Options
    Increase the amount of protein, healthy fats, and fiber you're eating.

Thank you. I am really focusing on that.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    I'm wondering about this "specific" diet and the appropriateness of 1200 calories per day for your stats.

Could you elaborate on the "specific" diet and give us your stats? Because you may be feeling so hungry because you SHOULD be feeling that hungry.

If you are doing a foolish VLCD "specific" plan and looking to artificial appetite suppressants to "make it work?" It may be time to rethink the way you are going about this.
  • nikkinoellemary
    nikkinoellemary Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Water, tea, coffee, zero cal drinks (say what you will about diet sodas, but my brain fails its will save again and again for Coke Zero).

What works for me also; my snack of choice before lunch (the meal I'm always hungriest before because I take it so late) is a 1/4 cup baggie of almonds. The brand I buy logs it at 160 cals, but it's got plenty of good fats and protein and fiber and it helps me think a bit more clearly about what I want for lunch (other than ALL THE THINGS OMNOM)

The best appetite suppressants out there are the stuff you should be putting in your body anyway--nutrients and hydration. Keep at it, you'll nail it. Don't waste your money or your time with those "weight loss" pills.

That said, I would keep in mind a lot of what other folks are saying in here too. If you are "very hungry" all the time on 1200 cals, depending on your stats it might not be sustainable. What kind of specific diet are we talking about here?
  • scraver2003
    scraver2003 Posts: 528 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    glucomannan
    It's not an appetite suppressant - it's fiber. But it expands in water and therefore fills up your stomach a little. It may help take the edge off. Just remember - it is fiber, so drink plenty of water and start off slowly so you don't have poop problems. Lots of people could use more fiber in their diet.

ETA: though - I do think maybe your calorie goal is a little too aggressive? And I agree with the poster that said to focus on getting protein, fat, and fiber to help keep you fuller longer.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    flippy1234 wrote: »
    I am on a specific diet and am very hungry. Granted, it's only day 3 but...I was wondering if there is an appetite suppressant that anyone has tried that does not cause that jittery caffeine feeling. I just want it to curb my hunger between meals a bit. Please don't say I need to eat more...no I do not. I am eating proper calories and plenty of protein for me to lose wight. I just want a little added help.
    Thank you!

What is your 'specific diet'?
  • Altagracia220
    Altagracia220 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    rockmama72 wrote: »
    The best appetite suppressant is the voice in your head that says, "I want to lose weight more than I want to eat more than I need to eat." Also more protein.

Yes :)
  • Bghere1
    Bghere1 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    phentermine?? I dunno use what works