Training for a half marathon 4/5 days in a row

Options
I signed up for a half marathon in September and I am starting my "training". By training I mean C25K 2 or 3 days a week with a 5K "you do whatever you want" run during my lunch break (I run in my area which has a lot of traffic lights, and if I'm tired, I walk a bit).

My calf muscles are EXTREMELY tight and I have a massage booked at noon tomorrow, but I don't seem to be progressing as well on my C25K program. I have Week 5 Day 3 tomorrow and it's a 20 minute straight run and I'm afraid that I won't be able to keep pace for the 20 minutes and I'm just wondering if it's because I run daily, sometimes twice a day.

Long story short, I'm at a 1700 calorie limit, I don't eat back my exercise calories and two days a week my bf and I follow Arnold Schwarzenegger's Guide to Modern Bodybuilding Level 2 (minus legs, but I will do squats on my own sometimes).

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I don't think you need to do the extra 5k, why not do the c25k programme and then the 10k programme after that?
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    "keep pace" is not something that should be a consideration during a C25K. If you're struggling to "keep pace", SLOW DOWN.

Also don't understand your post. If you're running twice a day, you're not following C25K, so it's really unclear what you're doing, or what you're trying to accomplish. But from what you posted, if I had to guess, I'd guess you're on a fast track to Injuryville.

The secret to running distance is that you need to slow down to go faster....
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    _rachel_k wrote: »
    Long story short, I'm at a 1700 calorie limit, I don't eat back my exercise calories and two days a week my bf and I follow Arnold Schwarzenegger's Guide to Modern Bodybuilding Level 2 (minus legs, but I will do squats on my own sometimes).

Training for endurance events and calorie restriction are counter to each other. Not eating back at least some of the calories is going to put you into a nutritionally deprived state. This is a terrible idea, and is likely why you are not recovering from training as well as you would want to.
  • _rachel_k
    _rachel_k Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    TavistockToad: I plan on C210K after, and then the half marathon app after that

I have fat loss goals in mind, as well as muscle building so I am in a weird spot calorie wise lol The big thing is NOT dying during the half marathon.
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    as long as you are not running full on everyone of those days you should be fine. I've gone over 90 days in a row walk/jog/run just not running everyday. Good Luck
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    I have fat loss goals in mind, as well as muscle building

These two things are counter to each other as well.

• Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I signed up for a half marathon in September and I am starting my "training". By training I mean C25K 2 or 3 days a week with a 5K "you do whatever you want" run during my lunch break (I run in my area which has a lot of traffic lights, and if I'm tired, I walk a bit).

My calf muscles are EXTREMELY tight and I have a massage booked at noon tomorrow, but I don't seem to be progressing as well on my C25K program. I have Week 5 Day 3 tomorrow and it's a 20 minute straight run and I'm afraid that I won't be able to keep pace for the 20 minutes and I'm just wondering if it's because I run daily, sometimes twice a day.

So much wrong with your plan.

If you're doing a C25K program then follow it - don't add extra to the plan, that way lies injuries. You're clearly new to running - go slower or you're finished before you start.

Why are you skipping the leg section of a weights plan? - horribly unbalanced.

Eat some of your calories back - your body can't recover without enough fuel.
  • Iron_Feline
    Options
    TavistockToad: I plan on C210K after, and then the half marathon app after that

I have fat loss goals in mind, as well as muscle building so I am in a weird spot calorie wise lol The big thing is NOT dying during the half marathon.

That is not going to happen with your plan.
  • Amberlynnek
    Amberlynnek Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Well your first problem is you are skipping leg day. You need to strength train your legs once a week to keep them strong and safe from injury. Strength training in addition to tempo runs will help improve your pace. Also, if the pain is in your calfs, it means your hips and glutes are weak. You calf is used to stabalize your foot through the hips and butt when your foot hits the ground. So no the issue isn't that you run daily. I train for marathons and run 5-6 times a week without that issue. Long distance running, isn't just running. Its cross-training (biking, swimming, etc - to develop the counter muscles), Strength training (to protect joints to increase strength and protect from injury), stretching - regardless of distance is a must. Yoga is great for this. Last, proper rest days. You seem to be missing all of the other components aside from just running. Also, I don't know anything about the Arnold program but often body building programs designed to bulk can be counterproductive to running.
  • veganbettie
    veganbettie Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    why are you running twice a day if you are concerned you're not going to be able to run for 20 minutes? I think you might be over doing it.

If you start to falter during those 20 just slow down...keep running but sloooooow down. You'll probably surprise yourself.

I love the C25K program, but when I did it I gave myself a day of rest in between runs, I completed it I think last June and I'm now training for a half that will be in June of this year....I'm using the Hal Higdon Novice 2 program which has me running 3 days in a row and my body can handle it now, but there is no way it would have been able to during the C25K days.

Why are you running so much? rest is important. It's hard to do when you're enjoying running, but it's important. :)
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    This person hasn't even finished a 5k - "tempo runs" is well beyond their aerobic (and probably ligamental) capacity at this point.
  • Iron_Feline
    Options
    jrline wrote: »
    as long as you are not running full on everyone of those days you should be fine. I've gone over 90 days in a row walk/jog/run just not running everyday. Good Luck

Over training as a beginner is a major cause of injury for new runners. She should stick to the programme - running twice a day as a new runner will cause injuries.
  • veganbettie
    veganbettie Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    how about you just walk on your lunch break instead of running? That's probably a smart idea.
  • Iron_Feline
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    This person hasn't even finished a 5k - "tempo runs" is well beyond their aerobic (and probably ligamental) capacity at this point.

So much this. :noway:

Also running daily could well be the issue since she is a new runner. Esp since some days she runs twice a day.
  • deathninja82
    deathninja82 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Plenty of good advice here, I'd just through in that you shouldn't bump mileage by more than 10% a week.
  • Laura732
    Laura732 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    You are at exactly the same spot that I am in the program :) C25k is *not* etched in stone. If you have to repeat a day before progressing, go ahead and move along at your own pace. So if you feel like you can't do Day 3, do day 2 again or drop back even further. This is my 2nd time through the program though. C25K and 10K Trainer (Zen Labs app) are the same for the first 9 weeks. So if you need room on your phone, just get the 10k app.

You are taking the rest days planned into C25K right? I've found that I feel better if I walk on the C25K rest days. It helps loosen things up a bit. If you don't own a foam roller, look into getting one. That way you can roll things out on days when you can't get a massage.

As a few of the others have said, I would also eat some of the calories back. I eat back about 300, which doesn't seem to drastically impact weight loss, but it does help a bit w/ post-run recovery a bit.
  • Amberlynnek
    Amberlynnek Posts: 405 Member
    Options

Also running daily could well be the issue since she is a new runner. Esp since some days she runs twice a day.

Clearly most of these things are beyond her capacity at the moment. However, she asked about pace - i provided information on how pace is improved. She has a lot of things she needs to do but she can't do it without the information. You also don't need to complete a 5k to do a tempo run.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    Keep it up and you are going to have a pulled calf muscle sometime in the next few weeks.

You can run daily or even twice a day daily, just not yet.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    You also don't need to complete a 5k to do a tempo run.
    Pretty much, yeah, you do. If you want to get any of the benefits from it anyway. At this point, attempting a tempo run is going to do nothing to improve her pace and will likely just result in injury.
  • Iron_Feline
    Options

Clearly most of these things are beyond her capacity at the moment. However, she asked about pace - i provided information on how pace is improved. She has a lot of things she needs to do but she can't do it without the information. You also don't need to complete a 5k to do a tempo run.

lol, your advice is bad as it is not tailored to the person asking the question. Your advice could very well lead to injuries.

A person who struggles to pace a 20 min run should not be advised to do temp runs - they should be advised to run slower. Improving your pace comes with distance then speed work.

How on earth would they know that they are not ready for tempo runs - your comment just said they were missing them, they might add them in now. Not to mention they never asked how to run faster - just how to keep up their pace.

:noway: