Training for a half marathon 4/5 days in a row

Options

Replies

• Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »
    You also don't need to complete a 5k to do a tempo run.
    Pretty much, yeah, you do. If you want to get any of the benefits from it anyway. At this point, attempting a tempo run is going to do nothing to improve her pace and will likely just result in injury.

seriously - yet more terrible advice. *

Yeah - I've upgraded you from bad advice to terrible.

* not Lporter but Amber, sorry
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

You also don't need to complete a 5k to do a tempo run.

Uhh... Yea.. you do. What sort of "tempo" are you talking about if one can't even run 3 miles to begin with? My tempo efforts are never shorter than 6 miles. And I wouldn't even suggest attempting something like that until long runs are going past 10 miles.

Better to stick with building endurance first. Trying to train speed of any kind before the endurance is there is a sure path to injury.
  • Whittedo
    Whittedo Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Dear OP: You are making a classic newbie runner series of mistakes, First and foremost the body needs time to rest. Running daily and sometimes twice a day is over-training unless you are an elite level athlete. Second you have to include leg-work in your strength training routine. Third you have to cross-train as mentioned above. Try biking, swimming or even a low-impact elliptical machine on alternate days to your run days. Fourth, set reasonable goals! Attempting to go from couch potato to running a 1/2 marathon in 6 months is simply crazy. Get a few months of 5ks under your belt and then several months of 10ks before you start 1/2M training. 21 kilometers is a long distance and you need to build up to it slowly. And last but NOT least, eat properly. Eating at a major deficit while doing the types of training that you are committed to is a big mistake. Take care of yourself OP, take it from a geezer with arthritis in both knees, damage that you do now will be with you years later.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    In to see what a tempo run looks like for someone who can't run for 20 minutes.

OP- slow down. Too much, too soon.
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    You've already been given great advice. It sounds like you're doing too much too soon, and are feeling the effects. I agree you're on the road to injury with your current amount of running.

I say to follow the C25K as written (3 alternating days). Cross train on the rest days if you want (walk, cycle, strength train-whatever floats your boat). As others have said, don't worry about pace at all. Your pace will improve over time as you increase distance. Slow down for now to accomplish the time the C25K calls for. To make it 20 minutes, slow way down without walking. That's what the plan is for. Then progress to the 10K plan and the half plan after that. You've got plenty of time to be ready for your race.

Calorie deficit: You'll probably need to have a small deficit, because you need to eat enough to fuel your workouts. I don't know how much weight you're looking to lose, but consider having your goal set for .5/lb a week.
  • _rachel_k
    _rachel_k Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Amberlynnek: I keep texting my bf those "Friends don't let Friends skip leg day" pictures but he thinks it will make my training harder so I just do some squats here and there.

veganbettie: I have fat loss goals, that's why I'm running two times a day.

Mr_Knight: If you're meaning me, I have completed many 5k in 2014 and just finished one race on Saturday, it was HARD but I did it.

Laura732: I don't take the scheduled rest days in C25K because there is no guarantee that I will be running Friday, Saturday or Sunday so I use those as rest days. I know the plan is not etched in stone, but I hate going back lol

I'm trying to respond to as many people as I can but there are a lot of replies coming in :/
  • veganbettie
    veganbettie Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    one thing to keep in mind is you exercise (run) for fitness and diet to lose weight. I'm actually struggling to drop weight while running because I get so hungry! You should eat back at least a portion of your exercise calories like everyone is saying.

I think you may be going about this the wrong way, but to each their own. It would really suck though to have an injury stop your progress....I took a month off from running in January because of life and excuses and it was pretty hard to get back in, took me another month to get my speed back and my endurance. I'm pretty new at this too, but I'm learning.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,267 Member
    Options
    Your fat loss goals will be met with injury. Then how will you address fat loss?
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    OP, how much running experience do you have?

People are responding based on the C25K training thinking you're totally new to running. But, you're saying you've already completed several 5Ks in 2014 and one this past weekend. Did you run the whole distance, or are you walking some of it? If you're walking some, how much?

What's your average weekly mileage (running only)?
    What's your longest run in the last month (distance)?

I think the advice might change a bit based on your answers, though you are clearly overdoing it based on your soreness and reported performance results.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    If you just ran a 5K race then its kind of wasting your time doing the C25K program.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    Now I'm kind of confused. If you have already run multiple 5ks, why C25K? Are you run/walking and trying to build up to consistent running of a 5k?
  • Iron_Feline
    Options
    And it gets weirder.
  • glevinso
    Options
    I can has confuse?
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    _rachel_k wrote: »
    Amberlynnek: I keep texting my bf those "Friends don't let Friends skip leg day" pictures but he thinks it will make my training harder so I just do some squats here and there.

veganbettie: I have fat loss goals, that's why I'm running two times a day.

Mr_Knight: If you're meaning me, I have completed many 5k in 2014 and just finished one race on Saturday, it was HARD but I did it.

Laura732: I don't take the scheduled rest days in C25K because there is no guarantee that I will be running Friday, Saturday or Sunday so I use those as rest days. I know the plan is not etched in stone, but I hate going back lol

I'm trying to respond to as many people as I can but there are a lot of replies coming in :/

Homer.gif
  • veganbettie
    veganbettie Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Homer has an answer for everything.
  • _rachel_k
    Options
    I STARTED with C25K and then C210K and then the half marathon program to prepare myself for the half marathon. I actually "ran" the whole 5k that was on Saturday but it was hard, and I was slow. In 2014 I did 2 km run, .5km walk. Part of the reason why I'm running everyday is because where I was at with the C25K was easy for me (until I reached the 8-5 intervals last night)
  • _rachel_k
    Options
    stealthq: Doing C25K I only get 3.2km out of it (it's on the treadmill), and my lunch runs are about 5.4km (using MapMyRun)

For April 5-11 MapMyRun has me at 21.53km and if I did C25K twice that week that equals. I haven't gone longer than 5.6km in a single run
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    _rachel_k wrote: »
    I STARTED with C25K and then C210K and then the half marathon program to prepare myself for the half marathon. I actually "ran" the whole 5k that was on Saturday but it was hard, and I was slow. In 2014 I did 2 km run, .5km walk. Part of the reason why I'm running everyday is because where I was at with the C25K was easy for me (until I reached the 8-5 intervals last night)

So you've already done all 3?

What time did you do the 5k in?
  • glevinso
    Options
    I am so confused as to what is happening here.
  • Iron_Feline
    Options
    If you can run a 5k why on earth are you doing c25k?