Goal: Lose 29 pounds in 4 months

Options
Hi!
Just looking for everyones thoughts on this.

I just started working out again Friday and it feels great. I want to lose 29 pounds by August 15th, I am 5'4 and weigh 158.5. I also added myself to a 2 month challenge program so i will be working very hard at this.

Do you feel this is an unrealisic goal?

it's close to 7 pounds a month.

My workouts consist of boot camp on Monday & Fridays.

The inbetween is elliptical for 45 minutes a day when i am not at boot camp.

Replies

• hsmith0930
    hsmith0930 Posts: 160 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Unrealistic... Maybe. It is quite an aggressive goal. Shouldn't be impossible but it will take some very strong commitment to maintaining a deficit. You will need to accurately weigh everything you eat to be sure your deficit is as accurate as possible.
  • oXGetFitBabeXo
    oXGetFitBabeXo Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I just did the math of maybe 2 pounds a month for the next 4 months which brings me to 24 pound goal in 4 months.. that may be more realistic.
  • Altagracia220
    Altagracia220 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    That's less than 2 pounds a week. Not aggressive at all. Very do-able. I am losing 2-3 pounds a week (unintentionally) eating no less than 1350 calories a day and working out 4-6 times a week. Stay focused and you will achieve your goals.
  • Altagracia220
    Options
    I just did the math of maybe 2 pounds a month for the next 4 months which brings me to 24 pound goal in 4 months.. that may be more realistic.

I'm not sure if I'm misunderstanding but wouldn't that be an 8 pound loss in the next 4 months?
  • oXGetFitBabeXo
    Options
    jazmin220 wrote: »
    That's less than 2 pounds a week. Not aggressive at all. Very do-able. I am losing 2-3 pounds a week (unintentionally) eating no less than 1350 calories a day and working out 4-6 times a week. Stay focused and you will achieve your goals.

Thank you! I figure as long as i'm consistent, i'm NOT counting calories but i'm making sure to burn 500 calories a day at the gym and watching what i eat such as fruit shakes in the morning with shakeology, not too heavy of a lunch and dinner (one serving and not two) boot camp on Monday/Fridays which are huge calorie burners. I use a F4 calorie counting watch which helps.

At one point of my life i was so obsessive calorie counting i dont want to fall into that again.

As i lose i will update my profile/ and drink lots of water too!

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

With less than 30 lbs to lose that's an extremely aggressive goal (assuming you mean per week) ...aim for 1lb max
  • oXGetFitBabeXo
    Options

I'm not sure if I'm misunderstanding but wouldn't that be an 8 pound loss in the next 4 months?

Oh yeah' you're right!
  • marissafit06
    marissafit06 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options

29 pounds in 4 months if fairly aggressive given that OP doesn't have that much to lose.
  • oXGetFitBabeXo
    Options
    2 pounds a week (for 4 weeks a month)
  • oXGetFitBabeXo
    Options
    We'll aim for 24 pounds in 4 months.
  • Altagracia220
    Options

29 pounds in 4 months if fairly aggressive given that OP doesn't have that much to lose.

Why are people saying it's aggressive? What exactly is going to happen?
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    7-8 lbs/month is a doable goal when you have a lot of weight to lose. As you get closer to your goal, the harder it is to lose weight because you have to drop your calories lower and lower to create a large enough deficit. It will be especially hard if you're not interested in counting calories. You're also relying on a VERY high calorie burn. 500 calories burned per day, plus boot camp? 500 calories is a multi-hour workout for most exercises.
  • tephanies1234
    tephanies1234 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I had your stats 5 months ago (159lbs @ 5'5")....5 months later I'm at a 15lb loss (I did take a two week break). Your expectations may be unrealistic with 30 lbs.
  • oXGetFitBabeXo
    Options
    Boot camp would be my workout for the day, not both!
  • snowflakesav
    snowflakesav Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    your goal weight is on the low side. There may be some things to consider like your overall fitness level now and your genetic bone structure. At your current weight and with your goal the battle is not going to be won in the kitchen. Having the time and the fitness to manage the exercise and activity required is going to be a challenge. I do think it is possible. Let us know how it goes
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Wit the amount you have to lose in total you should be aiming for 1 lb/week, when you get to the last 10 that should change to about 0.5lbs/week
  • Sued0nim
    Options

Weight loss is a mixture of water, body fat and LBM

Too high a rate of loss and you end up losing more LBM than you need to which is not a good idea as it's a bugger to rebuild
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    Boot camp would be my workout for the day, not both!

Assuming you are aiming for a holiday and want body confidence I'd recommend a progressive weight lifting programme as you follow a calorie defecit
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

Weight loss is a mixture of water, body fat and LBM

Too high a rate of loss and you end up losing more LBM than you need to which is not a good idea as it's a bugger to rebuild

which means you will have a higher BF% at what your goal weight is, or you will need to lose even more weight to reach your goal look/bf%
  • beamer0821
    beamer0821 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    i lost 30 pounds in 4 months but i was also 255 pounds. I don't think its realistic at 158 pounds. I'm sorry.