Hello I am a sugar addict.

Options

Replies

• bulk_n_cut
    bulk_n_cut Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    bulk_n_cut wrote: »
    how i typed it: you are an emt, i am in the similar to-be profession, please do tell me more and no need to use layman analogies. i really do want to know

how you seem to have taken it: i am superior, you are inferior.

why are you calling me a condescending jerk if you seem to have misread an honest request lol?

"This comment implies that you think you are better than him because you are in medical school. It also implies that you think Emts are dumb."
    please stop projecting your thoughts and implications on me, i didnt mean that. you, for some reason, thought i did

Your communication skills need polishing.

It really did sound snarky.
    MrM27 wrote: »
    And just in case you weren't aware, if you view the factors that are involved in the development of diabetes, sugar is not one of them.

please, mr EMT, tell a medical student more about this.
    no really, i want to know what you're talking about

Quoting it here, but it was particularly when taking it in the context of the whole conversation.

i guess i see what you mean. which reminds me of this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=naleynXS7yo
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    I pointed out to you that sugar isn't even associated with the development of DM, even from the major diabetes organizations

Just for the record...

"Research has shown that drinking sugary drinks is linked to type 2 diabetes.

The American Diabetes Association recommends that people should avoid intake of sugar-sweetened beverages to help prevent diabetes. Sugar-sweetened beverages include beverages like:

regular soda
    fruit punch
    fruit drinks
    energy drinks
    sports drinks
    sweet tea
    other sugary drinks."

- See more at: http://www.diabetes.org/diabetes-basics/myths/#sthash.CfqG8byY.dpuf

I thought you were out for the night.

Why don't you go back to the other thread and answer some of those questions you left unanswered?

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    how i typed it: you are an emt, i am in the similar to-be profession, please do tell me more and no need to use layman analogies. i really do want to know

why are you calling me a condescending jerk if you seem to have misread an honest request lol?

"This comment implies that you think you are better than him because you are in medical school. It also implies that you think Emts are dumb."
    please stop projecting your thoughts and implications on me, i didnt mean that. you, for some reason, thought i did

And just in case you weren't aware, if you view the factors that are involved in the development of diabetes, sugar is not one of them.

Quoting it here, but it was particularly when taking it in the context of the whole conversation.

My favorite part is that most of us already know that MDs don't know diddly about nutrition to begin with, so I am not sure what being a medical student has to do with anything.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Why is every sugar thread hijacked with old arguments? Obviously no one will win and only the OP, who was only seeking advice, loses. :(
  • Chrysalid2014
    Chrysalid2014 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options

Also, go away with your nonsense. We had enough of you in the other thread all day today where you so clearly demonstrated your lack of ability with understanding how anything works. If you would like go back to that thread and answer the last 2 or 3 pages where people picked your ignorance apart. I had enough energy wasted on your sadness today.

Factual information taken directly from the American Diabetes Association = "my nonsense" in the little world of MrM. Hillarious.

If you're referring to the other discussion about sugar, where some of you were actually trying to argue the nutritional merits of candy bars, I think we had to agree to disagree there. But if you still don't believe me, ask a doctor!
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    4723girls wrote: »
    Anyone have any tips?

What makes you believe you are addicted?
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options

Also, go away with your nonsense. We had enough of you in the other thread all day today where you so clearly demonstrated your lack of ability with understanding how anything works. If you would like go back to that thread and answer the last 2 or 3 pages where people picked your ignorance apart. I had enough energy wasted on your sadness today.

Factual information taken directly from the American Diabetes Association = "my nonsense" in the little world of MrM. Hillarious.

If you're referring to the other discussion about sugar, where some of you were actually trying to argue the nutritional merits of candy bars, I think we had to agree to disagree there. But if you still don't believe me, ask a doctor!
    My GP is 300+ pounds. No way in fark would I ask her for nutritional advice.
  • Hornsby
    Options

But the factual information didn't say that sugar causes diabetes...I'm so confused. Or maybe you aren't sure what the term "linked" means?
  • Chrysalid2014
    Chrysalid2014 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    Why is every sugar thread hijacked with old arguments? Obviously no one will win and only the OP, who was only seeking advice, loses. :(

Yes, that's true. For the record, I agree to disagree with Mr M and Mrs Peach about the relative nutritional merits of candy bars. Now let's leave that one there.

Back to the OP's question, I too am a sugar addict and am transitioning to a low-carb, high fat diet, as many other addicts testify this is the cure.
  • PeachyCarol
    Options
    3bambi3 wrote: »
    Anyone have any tips?

Sugar can have a very addicting quality to it. Sometimes going cold turkey on sweet things (sugary drinks, candy, ice cream, etc.) can be helpful. Not forever, just for a few weeks to let your taste buds adjust. You may then find that you don't need as much to be satisfied.

Also, eating sugary things that also have fiber or protein can be helpful since these slow digestion and can help you feel full longer.

It will take willpower and may not be easy, but you can do it.

People always say this about fiber and protein and I just don't get it. Do you assume that people are eating spoonfuls of sugar? My m&ms have sugar, fiber and protein. What are these foods that are 100% sugar/carbs with no other macros?

I would imagine syrup and honey don't have much, but I never 0%. But if you think a typical sugar cookie is as filling as a whole grain oatmeal walnut cookie, then I would have to say we are very different.

The OP asked for suggestions. I gave suggestions.

I never said or implied they were as filling, or as nutritionally sound. Only that most foods often contain more than one macro.

They do. To varying degrees. More fiber or more protein often = more satiating.

Agreed.

And you and I offered the OP similar advice.

I would like to just introduce the idea, though, that you can't look at the food in isolation though.

I don't know anyone who's going to drink a cup of tea with honey in it and call it a day... unless they're not feeling well.

I also don't really know anyone who counts on fruit to fill them up. Fruit and peanut butter? Sure.

Then again, I don't really snack, so maybe I lack perspective here. I eat my fruit with either cottage cheese or yogurt.

• jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options

i guess i see what you mean. which reminds me of this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=naleynXS7yo

ru6buh2h73up.jpg
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options

Did you not see that we read the WHOLE thing, not just the part you cherry picked?

3d296c7051d9625848f36f673a5abcb0.jpg
  • 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options

Yes, that's true. For the record, I agree to disagree with Mr M and Mrs Peach about the relative nutritional merits of candy bars. Now let's leave that one there.

Back to the OP's question, I too am a sugar addict and am transitioning to a low-carb, high fat diet, as many other addicts testify this is the cure.

You eat a lot of fruit for a sugar addict.
  • Hornsby
    Options
    maidentl wrote: »

Did you not see that we read the WHOLE thing, not just the part you cherry picked?

3d296c7051d9625848f36f673a5abcb0.jpg

When you take people who have no idea how science works and have them debate science, they have to cherry pick.
  • PeachyCarol
    Options

My doctor told me to count calories.

I guess you have no answers to the questions put forth to you in the other thread.

Okay, how about answering for the selective cutting and pasting you did in this one? You know, where you butchered the content of the article to make it fit what you wanted it to say?

• mrspater14
    Options
    I just ended up getting Herbalife cookies and crème shakes, friggin nailed that on the head. tastes like im drinking cake batter which makes my inner fat kid happy.
  • bulk_n_cut
    bulk_n_cut Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    can you guys please link me to that 'other' thread?? im so curious now
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Anyone have any tips?

Sugar can have a very addicting quality to it. Sometimes going cold turkey on sweet things (sugary drinks, candy, ice cream, etc.) can be helpful. Not forever, just for a few weeks to let your taste buds adjust. You may then find that you don't need as much to be satisfied.

Also, eating sugary things that also have fiber or protein can be helpful since these slow digestion and can help you feel full longer.

It will take willpower and may not be easy, but you can do it.

People always say this about fiber and protein and I just don't get it. Do you assume that people are eating spoonfuls of sugar? My m&ms have sugar, fiber and protein. What are these foods that are 100% sugar/carbs with no other macros?

I would imagine syrup and honey don't have much, but I never 0%. But if you think a typical sugar cookie is as filling as a whole grain oatmeal walnut cookie, then I would have to say we are very different.

The OP asked for suggestions. I gave suggestions.

I never said or implied they were as filling, or as nutritionally sound. Only that most foods often contain more than one macro.

They do. To varying degrees. More fiber or more protein often = more satiating.

Agreed.

And you and I offered the OP similar advice.

I would like to just introduce the idea, though, that you can't look at the food in isolation though.

I don't know anyone who's going to drink a cup of tea with honey in it and call it a day... unless they're not feeling well.

I also don't really know anyone who counts on fruit to fill them up. Fruit and peanut butter? Sure.

Then again, I don't really snack, so maybe I lack perspective here. I eat my fruit with either cottage cheese or yogurt.

If I understand you correctly, I don't think I totally agree. If someone calls themselves a sugar addict they are usually describing a seemingly uncontrollable urge to binge eat sweets. Not fruit, despite the fact that it may have just as much sugar. All semantics and inappropriate use of medical terms aside, I think if this is the case then it does matter what the individual food contains. Everyone doesn't have success with "just eat one piece" when it comes to cake or candy or chocolate. It's often the blood sugar rush and crash. In which case eating protein and/or fiber may help as it will lessen the vicious circle of rush/crash/crave.

And in some cases abstinence really is needed. At least for a while. Just don't have it on hand.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    you may become an insulin addict later in life if you keep it up, so think about that and stop eating sugar?

Did you know diabetes is not caused by sugar, but that diabetics must have limited sugar because their bodies do not properly metabolize carbs?
This discussion has been closed.