Hello I am a sugar addict.

Options

Replies

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    4723girls wrote: »
    Anyone have any tips?

Sugar can have a very addicting quality to it. Sometimes going cold turkey on sweet things (sugary drinks, candy, ice cream, etc.) can be helpful. Not forever, just for a few weeks to let your taste buds adjust. You may then find that you don't need as much to be satisfied.

Also, eating sugary things that also have fiber or protein can be helpful since these slow digestion and can help you feel full longer.

It will take willpower and may not be easy, but you can do it.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    bulk_n_cut wrote: »
    elphie754 wrote: »
    MrM27 wrote: »
    And just in case you weren't aware, if you view the factors that are involved in the development of diabetes, sugar is not one of them.

please, mr EMT, tell a medical student more about this.
    no really, i want to know what you're talking about

Oh I just love when this argument comes to play.

On Sunday I saw a medical resident attempt to defibrillate pulsless electrical activity (PEA). The week before, one wanted to know why I didn't intubate the anxiety attack. My personal favorite from this class- the resident who started heparin on a confirmed hemorrhagic stroke.

My point? Just because you are in medical school does not mean you are infallible and know more than everyone else.

you're right. i dont know. thats why i politely asked him to explain, i may have missed something from the textbooks that a personnel in the workforce knows about. yet to receive any information from him

When you want someone to actually explain something to you it does not behoove you to insult them first.
    And just in case you weren't aware, if you view the factors that are involved in the development of diabetes, sugar is not one of them.

This comment implies that you think you are better than him because you are in medical school. It also implies that you think Emts are dumb. Here's a lesson they don't teach you in medical school- during your ER rotations (and residency if you choose to go into emergency medicine) it pays to play nice with the EMTS and medics. Why? Because many of us have been doing this a long time and can actually be helpful if you play nice. Be a condescending jerk? Well, we will just laugh at your sinking ship and write you under the bus in our documentation.
  • 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Anyone have any tips?

Sugar can have a very addicting quality to it. Sometimes going cold turkey on sweet things (sugary drinks, candy, ice cream, etc.) can be helpful. Not forever, just for a few weeks to let your taste buds adjust. You may then find that you don't need as much to be satisfied.

Also, eating sugary things that also have fiber or protein can be helpful since these slow digestion and can help you feel full longer.

People always say this about fiber and protein and I just don't get it. Do you assume that people are eating spoonfuls of sugar? My m&ms have sugar, fiber and protein. What are these foods that are 100% sugar/carbs with no other macros?
  • Need2Exerc1se
    edited April 2015
    Options
    3bambi3 wrote: »
    Anyone have any tips?

People always say this about fiber and protein and I just don't get it. Do you assume that people are eating spoonfuls of sugar? My m&ms have sugar, fiber and protein. What are these foods that are 100% sugar/carbs with no other macros?

I would imagine syrup and honey don't have much, but I never 0%. But if you think a typical sugar cookie is as filling as a whole grain oatmeal walnut cookie, then I would have to say we are very different.

The OP asked for suggestions. I gave suggestions.
  • bulk_n_cut
    bulk_n_cut Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    how i typed it: you are an emt, i am in the similar to-be profession, please do tell me more and no need to use layman analogies. i really do want to know

how you seem to have taken it: i am superior, you are inferior.

why are you calling me a condescending jerk if you seem to have misread an honest request lol?

"This comment implies that you think you are better than him because you are in medical school. It also implies that you think Emts are dumb."
    please stop projecting your thoughts and implications on me, i didnt mean that. you, for some reason, thought i did
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options

Medical student? Cool story bro. Tell me more. No wait, don't. Because it means nothing.
    No go back and respond to what I asked you without creeping my page to see that I'm an EMT. Also, I hope you enjoyed looking at my pictures.
    elphie754 wrote: »

Oh I just love when this argument comes to play.

On Sunday I saw a medical resident attempt to defibrillate pulsless electrical activity (PEA). The week before, one wanted to know why I didn't intubate the anxiety attack. My personal favorite from this class- the resident who started heparin on a confirmed hemorrhagic stroke.

My point? Just because you are in medical school does not mean you are infallible and know more than everyone else.

Rookie, don't you know that the new standing protocol is stab them in the neck with Versed then pour Etomidate in their ear, then intubate

Drat, I knew I forgot something.
    how i typed it: you are an emt, i am in the similar to-be profession, please do tell me more and no need to use layman analogies. i really do want to know

why are you calling me a condescending jerk if you seem to have misread an honest request lol?

"This comment implies that you think you are better than him because you are in medical school. It also implies that you think Emts are dumb."
    please stop projecting your thoughts and implications on me, i didnt mean that. you, for some reason, thought i did

My thoughts and projections? Hahahahahaha no.

Another lesson you are very quick to learn- we have a hive mentality. You insult one of us, the others are going to be just as pissed off.

Good luck in that med school thing. I think you may want to repeat a class in bedside manner though.
  • 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    Anyone have any tips?

I would imagine syrup and honey don't have much, but I never 0%. But if you think a typical sugar cookie is as filling as a whole grain oatmeal walnut cookie, then I would have to say we are very different.

I never said or implied they were as filling, or as nutritionally sound. Only that most foods often contain more than one macro.
  • Chrysalid2014
    Chrysalid2014 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    I pointed out to you that sugar isn't even associated with the development of DM, even from the major diabetes organizations

Just for the record...

"Research has shown that drinking sugary drinks is linked to type 2 diabetes.

The American Diabetes Association recommends that people should avoid intake of sugar-sweetened beverages to help prevent diabetes. Sugar-sweetened beverages include beverages like:

regular soda
    fruit punch
    fruit drinks
    energy drinks
    sports drinks
    sweet tea
    other sugary drinks."

- See more at: http://www.diabetes.org/diabetes-basics/myths/#sthash.CfqG8byY.dpuf
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    Anyone have any tips?

I never said or implied they were as filling, or as nutritionally sound. Only that most foods often contain more than one macro.

They do. To varying degrees. More fiber or more protein often = more satiating.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I pointed out to you that sugar isn't even associated with the development of DM, even from the major diabetes organizations

Just for the record...

"Research has shown that drinking sugary drinks is linked to type 2 diabetes.

The American Diabetes Association recommends that people should avoid intake of sugar-sweetened beverages to help prevent diabetes. Sugar-sweetened beverages include beverages like:

regular soda
    fruit punch
    fruit drinks
    energy drinks
    sports drinks
    sweet tea
    other sugary drinks."

- See more at: http://www.diabetes.org/diabetes-basics/myths/#sthash.CfqG8byY.dpuf

At least quote all of what it says...
    Myth: Eating too much sugar causes diabetes.

Fact: The answer is not so simple. Type 1 diabetes is caused by genetics and unknown factors that trigger the onset of the disease; type 2 diabetes is caused by genetics and lifestyle factors.

Being overweight does increase your risk for developing type 2 diabetes, and a diet high in calories from any source contributes to weight gain. Research has shown that drinking sugary drinks is linked to type 2 diabetes.

regular soda
    fruit punch
    fruit drinks
    energy drinks
    sports drinks
    sweet tea
    other sugary drinks.
    These will raise blood glucose and can provide several hundred calories in just one serving!

See for yourself:

Just one 12-ounce can of regular soda has about 150 calories and 40 grams of carbohydrate. This is the same amount of carbohydrate in 10 teaspoons of sugar!
    One cup of fruit punch and other sugary fruit drinks have about 100 calories (or more) and 30 grams of carbohydrate.
    - See more at: http://www.diabetes.org/diabetes-basics/myths/#sthash.CfqG8byY.RyQoVlCl.dpuf
  • bulk_n_cut
    bulk_n_cut Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Either way, I don't care how you asked me, the point is I asked you questions, you're either going to answer them or you are going to deflect. Which is it?

i guess im going to read some more, as i seem to be wrong about every single thing i say
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Either way, I don't care how you asked me, the point is I asked you questions, you're either going to answer them or you are going to deflect. Which is it?

i guess im going to read some more, as i seem to be wrong about every single thing i say

Nope, now you are right about one thing.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Anyone have any tips?

I don't know too many people who eat syrup and honey by themselves, though. If you pour them over oatmeal, you're getting fiber too.

Maybe honey in a cup of tea? Sure, but if you're drinking that tea with a breakfast of eggs and bacon? Meh.

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options

Your communication skills need polishing.

It really did sound snarky.

Quoting it here, but it was particularly when taking it in the context of the whole conversation.

This discussion has been closed.