What do you think about when working out?

Options

Replies

• shellym1167
    shellym1167 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Today i listened to Janet Jackson Velvet Rope, Yesterday it was Pink all amazon music.. tomorrow who knows depends on how i feel when i walk in the gym, Monday i listened to random music i have saved on my phone...
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    my form, the music in my ears, the shapes of people legs walking by, the fact that my core is always engaged and I don't even notice. I also think about how happy I am to be there.
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    dbienz wrote: »
    "Are you kidding me? Kill me. BLAHHHHH!" when only 2 minutes has gone by.
    HAHAHAHA, I'm so there sister!
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    While lifting, I'm just focused on my form. Between sets I either am blanking out or reading a page on my Kindle.

Walking on the treadmill--reading.

Walking outside--usually thinking random thoughts or doing math problems in my head.

Running outside--the first ten minutes is something like "okay this is nice...hey look they're building a new house, I wonder what the people will be like...car!...sheesh look at all those Little Tikes playhouses, do they have a colony of elves living in their yard?...I need to slow down this is just a warm up...oh look there's Mary, don't make eye contact or she'll stop driving and want to talk, look away! Look away!...'Oh hi Mary!'...ugh I'm dying here and have no breath to spare for hellos...this is terrible, why am I running again? How long have I been running anyway? ...ok, I'm feeling it now, phew, I've got this." Then I'm fine after that.
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I get really into whatever song I'm listening to, and I'll mouth the words or even sing a-long if no one is around. For really long runs, I listen to podcasts and think about whatever is being talked about. And I also do a crazy amount of running-related math regarding pace, finishing time, etc. for a person who loathes to do math.

I do NOT think about things that stress me out: grad school, money, future plans, money, money, money.... Running is my de-stress time! Honestly, I zone out for a lot of it and my mind wanders, and I can't remember any of what I'm thinking :)

Edit: I also curse drivers and pedestrians who get in my way, and runners who don't acknowledge a fellow runner's presence because I love a good eye-contact-and-nod.
  • CrystalBurns1
    CrystalBurns1 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I read something on Pinterest that said "that's not sweat, it's my fat crying" that is what I think about.....also I zumba without mirrors so in my head I am a rockstar just like the instructor on my screen!
  • shizzieshiz
    shizzieshiz Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Mostly a continuation of, "Don't die, don't die, breathe, please don't die, LOVE OF GOD A CRAMP ow ow ow ow, don't die"

LMAO! SAME!!!
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    Right now I have bronchitis so mainly I'm thinking, "Don't start coughing. Don't start coughing. Don't start coughing. Damn, I have to cough. Water, water, water."

Any other time I read on the elliptical and concentrate on my form while lifting. Oh, and telling myself, "You can do one more rep. Just one more rep. Do it!"
  • llUndecidedll
    llUndecidedll Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    Well, It's mostly like a dream, I don't really remember most of what passes through my head.

Sometimes I try to do some mental math or just think about the future.
  • sassyjassy1222
    sassyjassy1222 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I think about all the bikinis i am not wearing and all the tighter fitting clothes i want to wear lol
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    "STFU, you'll be done soon."

"This was a bad idea."

"I'm only out here because I want ice cream later."

"Turn music up, can hear self breathing."

"I hope that guy I just shuffled past couldn't hear me huffing and puffing..."

"Oh look, another car that doesn't understand what a cross walk is for."

"I think I just swallowed a bug. I effing hate being a mouth breather. I should get myself checked for allergies, this stuffy nose thing isn't cool. I don't want to go to the doctor again though. I can hear myself breathing again."

*check pace* "Ugh I'm so slow, why do I think I can actually become a runner? I can't even breath right. Screw it, I'm only doing a short 'run' tonight."

Oh and "This song sucks now, I need to take it off my 'running' playlist."
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    Running or swimming, I might think about literally anything.
    Intervals or resistance training, I'm trying not to die/thinking about form respectively.
  • lyrical_melody
    lyrical_melody Posts: 242 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    "Hey, I think that guy across from me works in the office above me."

"Ok, I saw him yesterday at work and it is definitely him. Should I say hi or is it awkward since we're both in work out mode"

"Seriously, I've only been on this machine for 10 minutes?"

"This episode sucks...no way I am going to get through this workout watching this"

"How the hell does her butt look like that. How do I get that butt?"

"Why is that guy just walking around in circles for the past 10 minutes?"

"I wonder what it would be like to have muscles like that...can they feel that their muscles are that big"

"Can the person next to me hear me breathing? Can they smell how bad I stink when I sweat"

"My butt hurts"

"Must do a few more minutes so I can eat that (insert crap food here)"

"I wonder what everyone else thinks about when they're working out"

Edited because I didn't realize you cant use the word @$$
  • samhennings
    samhennings Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    in,in,out,out... IT'S ONLY BEEN 15 SECONDS????"

Im pretty sure thats what my wife thinks while Im working out :D

• SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,671 Member
    Options
    Lifting: Okay. Okay. Okay. <Insert relevant form correction(s)>. Inhale. HNNNNNGRRRRWAAAAR! Again! Okay. Okay. Okay.
    Running: Slow down. Breathe. Slow the hell down. Pace yourself. Just because your legs go up to your armpits doesn't mean your lungs can keep up. Just keep going 'til the end of the next block. Dammit, you've ripped your earbuds out again. Remember to thread the cable under your shirt, numpty. Don't rest on that, dogs pee on it.
    Exactly this, word for word LOL

• SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,671 Member
    Options

ROFL I just snorted coffee out my nose :lol:

• samhennings
    Options
    Sorry!
  • peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options

Lol. I had a feeling someone would make that joke.
  • blobby10
    blobby10 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    When running I just focus on the music playing in my headphones - and not slipping over on exposed tree roots on the canal towpath!! When doing weights its counting reps, when doing rowing or stairmaster its mathematical calculations ie how many strokes a metre means how long i've got left and counting them down.
  • samhennings
    Options
    how much time I have left

I find if I think about that I just lose all stamina and give up. If I can focus my mind anywhere else I find I can keep going much better.

So in the end I either zone out completely (meditation?) or people watch. Im terrible for people watching.