Help!!!!

Options
13»

Replies

• chubbard9
    chubbard9 Posts: 565 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Stephie, I asked earlier but maybe you missed it, are you using a food scale?

Only for my own recipes otherwise I eat according to what's on the box or serving size and skin the product
    Hello there :)

If you notice on most serving sizes for boxes, they will tell you a portion size... But it will also have a gram/ounce size that you should follow to make sure that you are getting that correct serving size.

For example, I eat Hodgson Mill Oat Bran for breakfast. The serving size is this : 1/4c. Dry (40g)
    If you just scoop some out and log it as a 1/4c. serving, you may have scooped out 50g, and there is extra calories(1/4 more of a serving) not counted towards your day.

You want to weigh to that particular gram/oz as mentioned on the box/package. Every scoop may weigh a little more than you think. Weighing is always the best option for all (solid) foods that you are logging... "WEIGH FOOD, MEASURE LIQUIDS" is a saying I see often, and find it to be accurate.

When I make my own recipes, I know that I am the only one eating the whole recipe, so I take the number of servings and divide it by the weight of the total recipe. That way, I guarantee that I am giving myself the full servings, and accurately logging for the day. So while weighing your recipes is good, you want to weigh everything else as well.

As well, I would like to point out that you are logging grapes as .13 cup. You should weigh those, because that is not an accurate reading. Same with carrots - 7-8" long is a generic entry. I was told that the best entries for fruits/veggies/meats are (fruit name here) USDA.

I tell you these little bits, because it was advice given to me when I had just started out and asked for advice, and it has helped tremendously.

-Chris

Can someone post that video on portion control? I remember seeing it, but cannot find it for the life of me, and I think it may be helpful

ETA:
    I was still scrolling through your diary... I saw that on 4/12 you logged a Subway footlong roast beef...
    If I assume you had no bread, and just Roast Beef and Swiss Cheese, You consumed a minimum of 280 calories, where as just the meat is 180. The only reason I mentioned it is because sometimes the entries logged by other users may not be the same food that you ate... Fast food restaurants have calculators so that you can figure out your calorie intake and log it accurately. (Wendy's, McDonald's, Subway, etc.)

I occasionally use this website http://www.nutritionix.com/
  • kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    It's not what you eat, it's how much. So something is off balance. You are either eating more than you think or your aren't burning as much as you think.

I do realize with all these conditions it may be overwhelming but something obviously isn't adding up. I think it's time to get a doctor involved.
  • stephie6968
    stephie6968 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    chubbard9 wrote: »
    Stephie, I asked earlier but maybe you missed it, are you using a food scale?

Only for my own recipes otherwise I eat according to what's on the box or serving size and skin the product
    Hello there :)

If you notice on most serving sizes for boxes, they will tell you a portion size... But it will also have a gram/ounce size that you should follow to make sure that you are getting that correct serving size.

For example, I eat Hodgson Mill Oat Bran for breakfast. The serving size is this : 1/4c. Dry (40g)
    If you just scoop some out and log it as a 1/4c. serving, you may have scooped out 50g, and there is extra calories(1/4 more of a serving) not counted towards your day.

You want to weigh to that particular gram/oz as mentioned on the box/package. Every scoop may weigh a little more than you think. Weighing is always the best option for all (solid) foods that you are logging... "WEIGH FOOD, MEASURE LIQUIDS" is a saying I see often, and find it to be accurate.

When I make my own recipes, I know that I am the only one eating the whole recipe, so I take the number of servings and divide it by the weight of the total recipe. That way, I guarantee that I am giving myself the full servings, and accurately logging for the day. So while weighing your recipes is good, you want to weigh everything else as well.

As well, I would like to point out that you are logging grapes as .13 cup. You should weigh those, because that is not an accurate reading. Same with carrots - 7-8" long is a generic entry. I was told that the best entries for fruits/veggies/meats are (fruit name here) USDA.

I tell you these little bits, because it was advice given to me when I had just started out and asked for advice, and it has helped tremendously.

-Chris

Can someone post that video on portion control? I remember seeing it, but cannot find it for the life of me, and I think it may be helpful

ETA:
    I was still scrolling through your diary... I saw that on 4/12 you logged a Subway footlong roast beef...
    If I assume you had no bread, and just Roast Beef and Swiss Cheese, You consumed a minimum of 280 calories, where as just the meat is 180. The only reason I mentioned it is because sometimes the entries logged by other users may not be the same food that you ate... Fast food restaurants have calculators so that you can figure out your calorie intake and log it accurately. (Wendy's, McDonald's, Subway, etc.)

I occasionally use this website http://www.nutritionix.com/

• stephie6968
    stephie6968 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much for the wonderful advice!! I have started weighing my portions on my scale and each ingredient. Fast food is a little harder. I order without bread and cheese. I do salads and meat for the most part. I also contacted a nutritionalist to help me. She gave me a schedule to follow with the foods I eat. I'm not eating enough calories. Since I've lost 1 pound...not much but it's a start!! :)