Options
124»

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    You are all aware that scales can't measure liquids, right? Just saying :p

I had no idea that a European tablespoon is 20 ml...

It's not its 15ml.

And scales can measure liquids if you know the conversion from weight to mls.

Which totally depends on what you're weighing, so yeah... measuring spoons and cups is just easier, lol.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I have it set up to be notified by e-mail when someone replied to a discussion or a question I post on the message board but for some stupid reason it refuses to send me notifications still so I only saw this just now.

Yes , obviously using a scale is better but I don't have one and scales can be expensive and the last two I had randomly stopped working , even with fresh batteries and then disappeared from site. I live with parents, so that could be the culprit. Anyway, to clarify, it says "TBS 5ml" on one and "TBS 15 ml" on the other and they're both different sizes so how am I to be sure which is correct? They are in fact rounded. The point is, how are you to measure things like butter if you don't have and can't currently purchase a scale?

They aren't expensive. New pants- those are expensive.

And secondly- odds are one says TEA spoon- and the other says TABLE spoon.
    There is no reason you'd have two labeled as tablespoons.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    I have it set up to be notified by e-mail when someone replied to a discussion or a question I post on the message board but for some stupid reason it refuses to send me notifications still so I only saw this just now.

Yes , obviously using a scale is better but I don't have one and scales can be expensive and the last two I had randomly stopped working , even with fresh batteries and then disappeared from site. I live with parents, so that could be the culprit. Anyway, to clarify, it says "TBS 5ml" on one and "TBS 15 ml" on the other and they're both different sizes so how am I to be sure which is correct? They are in fact rounded. The point is, how are you to measure things like butter if you don't have and can't currently purchase a scale?

Maybe they were on sale because of a defect?
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

It's possible.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

Good point. The liquid measuring cup I got at the dollar store had 205 ml instead of 250 printed on it. (I bought it for my bath and body products so it didn't matter since I weigh all of my oils, surfactants, additives, EO's etc. I only eyeball the coloring and if I use rose otto EO since it is so expensive I dole it out by the drop)

• nonoelmo
    nonoelmo Posts: 3,941 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Nonoelmo, that is all very impressive - but I doubt $10 scales are calibrated to the nth degree either - and I really dont think the ultra exact measurement of either spoons or scales matters that much.
    Calorie counting s an Inexact science - you have to be accurate enough but not ultra accurate , ie it doesn't really matter if someones tablespoon is 15ml or 14.8 ml or if their scales are out by a couple of grams.
    My post disappeared. I hope it does not show up twice now.
    :smiley: I don't use measuring cups when I cook as I know how much it should be to make whatever I'm making (this drives my boyfriend crazy as he loves accuracy and numbers). This was just an explanation for those who are interested and want or need to be as accurate as they can be in counting and logging calories. I don't mind things that closely and am happy with my progress. I will, however, argue that even a cheap scale that measures to the first decimal point is far more accurate than any measuring cup. Again, that is just for those who care and want to be as accurate as possible. Use whatever tools you have to get the accuracy you want. If you care the scale is the much better tool. :smiley:
  • joolsmd
    joolsmd Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I zero the scale with the jug on then weigh the liquid in the jug. Easy.

• earlnabby
    edited April 2015
    Options
    joolsmd wrote: »

But different liquids have different specific gravities so their weight and measurements will not be the same (unless it is water that has a specific gravity of 1). 100 ml of olive oil will not weigh 100 g.

• Of_Monsters_and_Meat
    Of_Monsters_and_Meat Posts: 1,022 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »

But different liquids have different specific gravities so their weight and measurements will not be the same (unless it is water that has a specific gravity of 1). 100 ml of olive oil will not weigh 100 g.

I think they are saying 100 g of olive oil would weight 100 g. Just as 100 g of water would weight 100 g.

I DO have a refractometer to measure specific gravity. Don't forget to adjust your refractomiter for temperature correction, if not built in.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,578 Member
    Options
    I don't weigh liquids...that seems odd.
  • earlnabby
    Options

I think they are saying 100 g of olive oil would weight 100 g. Just as 100 g of water would weight 100 g.

I DO have a refractometer to measure specific gravity. Don't forget to adjust your refractomiter for temperature correction, if not built in.

Then what is the point of having a separate liquid mode on a scale? I never understood that. When I weigh liquids, I don't use the liquid mode.

(The only refractometer I have is for testing gemstones which is a totally different animal, but testing specific gravity is one way of seeing if your "diamond" is really a sapphire, clear quartz, or glass)

• NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner
    NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    My scale has a liquid weight thingamabob. Weighs it in mls. Highly amusing if i forget to change the setting though oops
  • earlnabby
    edited April 2015
    Options
    And scales can measure liquids if you know the conversion from weight to mls.

aimeerace wrote: »
    My scale has a liquid weight thingamabob. Weighs it in mls. Highly amusing if i forget to change the setting though oops

Again, how can this be accurate when different liquids have different weights per liter?????

• Jgasmic
    Jgasmic Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I tried weighing olive oil on my scale using the mL setting and it was way more calories than a tablespoon, like 3 times as many so I never tried that again.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    OldHobo wrote: »
    Okay this is really bugging me. I bought a set of measuring spoons that are 1/4 teaspoon, 1/2 teaspoon , 1 tablespoon 5ml and 1 tablespoon 15 ml. Obviously one is bigger than the other but which do I use for measuring food and not liquid?
    I've never seen spoons labeled that way but I'm sure you have:
    1. 1/4 teaspoon
    2. 1/2 teaspoon
    3. 1 teaspoon (approx. 5 ml)
    4. 1 tablespoon (approx. 15 ml)
    Obviously the second and third in the list should be double the previous one.
    The last spoon (tablespoon) should be 3 times the third (teaspoon). You can check by volume or weight as long you are measuring the same thing with all spoons.

To those who are saying always use a scale I pose two questions.
    1. Which weighs more, a pound of feathers, or a pound of lead?
    2. What if your recipe called for a tablespoon of feathers and a tablespoon of lead?
    All dry measurements, used in cooking anyway, are related to weight; specifically the weight of water. The old expression "A pint's a pound the world around" refers to a pint of water. A pint (or a teaspoon) of fat weighs less than a pint (or a teaspoon) of water. Need proof? Fat floats. A tablespoon of dried herb, like sage for instance, weighs a lot less than a tablespoon of water.
    ...but which do I use for measuring food and not liquid?
    So use all the spoons and your scale (if you have one) for measuring liquids and solids. Choose the one appropriate to the task.

Answers:
    1. Pounds weigh the same, but will be very different volumes for different substances.
    2. A tablespoon of feathers and a tablespoon of lead weigh different amounts. So I would measure volume of 1 T. of feathers, then weigh and log it. Repeat for lead. I can both follow the recipe for volume and log from weight. This recipe sounds terrible, by the way.

When I eat oatmeal (rolled oats), I can have as much as 20% variance in weight for the same volume each time. It's probably due to how each oat lands in the measuring cup and how much empty space exists between the oats. In any case, the calories can be way off if I measure by volume. This is why solid food should be weighed.
  • earlnabby
    Options
    Jgasmic wrote: »
    I tried weighing olive oil on my scale using the mL setting and it was way more calories than a tablespoon, like 3 times as many so I never tried that again.

Thank you for confirming my suspicions. Even different oils will weigh different. I use a large number of oils when making my lotions and there is a significant difference between a heavier oil like coconut or babassu and a lighter one like argan or camellia seed.

• joolsmd
    joolsmd Posts: 375 Member
    Options

Its only if I need to (re scrambled eggs, melted butter for baking etc). If its stock or oil its volume or spoons.

• Of_Monsters_and_Meat
    Of_Monsters_and_Meat Posts: 1,022 Member
    Options

Then what is the point of having a separate liquid mode on a scale? I never understood that. When I weigh liquids, I don't use the liquid mode.

(The only refractometer I have is for testing gemstones which is a totally different animal, but testing specific gravity is one way of seeing if your "diamond" is really a sapphire, clear quartz, or glass)

weight what??
    liquid mode on a scale? Ok I'm confused. I'll just be backing out of this thread..
  • earlnabby
    edited April 2015
    Options

weight what??
    liquid mode on a scale? Ok I'm confused. I'll just be backing out of this thread..

Yup, but they are only supposed to be used for water or milk

Here is the info on the scale I have: "Etekcity 0.1oz High Accuracy 22lb/10kg Digital Multifunction Kitchen Food Scale Pro, Ultra Thin, Volume Measurement Supported"

description:
    • High-precision strain gauge sensors, division: 0.1oz/1g, capacity: 22lb/10kg
    • Volume measurement supported, indicates volume of water and milk - LCD display for clear readout in lb(oz), kg, g, ml, fl.oz
    • Touch sensitive button for easy operation and longevity
    • Convenient auto-zero, tare, and auto-off functions

needless to say, I don't use it.
  • sarahlifts
    sarahlifts Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Okay this is really bugging me. I bought a set of measuring spoons that are 1/4 teaspoon, 1/2 teaspoon , 1 tablespoon 5ml and 1 tablespoon 15 ml. Obviously one is bigger than the other but which do I use for measuring food and not liquid?

use your scale