Anabolic diet for fat loss and muscle gain

Options
So I've spent a majority of night at work reading about the anabolic diet. it says that if you eat foods that are high in protein /fat and no more than 25 grams of carbs for 5 days and then carb load over the weekend then go back to the same 5 day diet and so on and so forth you will burn fat and gain muscle at the same time. Has anybody try this before or know anyone who has? Would love to get some feedback on this subject!

Replies

• Chrysalid2014
    Chrysalid2014 Posts: 1,038 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Hi Dustin,
    I'd invite you to check out the low carb group, where you'll get some informed opinion on the subject.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    If you're losing weight, for the most part no. If you're in a body recomp, then only if you're undergoing a progressive lifting program at the same time.
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    There are a few people here, but you'll find a lot of them on reddit: http://www.reddit.com/r/ketogains
  • DustinSmith84
    DustinSmith84 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Yes I apologize. This goes hand in hand with a weight training program. It insissts on the eating of lists of fatty red meats to naturally boost testosterone ect ect
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    I do not think I could get through my weight training on 25 grams of carbs.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    Is that the diet from Di Pasquale (sp?). It is from the 90's and it is basically a cyclic ketogenic diet.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    Matter of fact I don't see how anyone can lift heavy on 25 grams of carbs.
  • nosebag1212
    nosebag1212 Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    it's basically a ckd diet, if you want to learn you should read lyle mcdonald's book on it
  • richln
    richln Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    I tried it, didn't like it. It was popular back in the 90's, but not so much anymore. At first it was fun eating bacon wrapped cheese all day long, but after a while it gets really miserable. The real downside is that after a couple of months, my energy and workout performance started tanking hard, while fat loss rate was no different than what I get from same amount of calories on a more balanced diet. Big carb refeeds are a lot of fun, but they are too extreme and too long, and they made me feel lethargic all weekend, and sometimes Monday too. So then I had one day of feeling good before starting back into crappy transitioning-into-ketosis side effects. Then ketosis for a few days which is too short to adjust to and not particularly productive. Vastly inferior to IIFYM, at least for me. And no, sorry, you are not going to build muscle while in a deficit, unless you are on gear.