Is it ok to have 2000 calorie cheat days?

Options
I usually eat about 1200 calories a day. Is it ok to have a 2000 calorie cheat day once a week? I absolutely love sweets and cannot go a long time without eating them.

Replies

• MysticRealm
    MysticRealm Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    I eat to 2500+ some days. I fit my cals to my weekly goal (which averages out to 1800 a day), not daily goals
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    2000 cals is a normal day for me. 1200 is good if you under 5 foot tall. I seriously don't get people eating that little. Sorry I don't mean to be insulting, just really how do you eat that little?
  • kindasortachewy
    kindasortachewy Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    Make those days long cardio workout days and burn as much as you know you want to eat :) It'll even out!
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    I hit 5-6k on my bigger days. 10k come holidays if I try. You're fine
  • originalcookiemonster
    Options
    OH GAWD so does that mean my 2200 calorie days (in a deficit, in case you were wondering) mean I'm gonna get all huuuuugggggeeeee???? OH LAWD *runs to find the closest treadmill*

Short answer? No.
    Longer answer? Your numbers are probably off.
  • Sherbog
    Sherbog Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    Shoot it is your journey do whatever you want. It all depends on how much weight you want to loose and how fast. I sure have those cheat days.
  • jeffrw1234
    jeffrw1234 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I typically eat a little under my target throughout the week to "save" calories for a cheat day on Saturdays. I am more concerned with hitting the weekly goal.
  • brittanydwright
    Options
    i try to only eat 1600 but today was a little over the 2000 range :(
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    2000 calories is around maintenance for most people, so it's hardly a cheat at all :)

And as others have said, 1200 is probably a bit too strict for you. Most people need many more calories than that, but unfortunately MFP spits out 1200 as the "default" number. Check out this thread, it can help you figure out how much to eat to lose weight healthily! http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/912920-in-place-of-a-road-map-3-2013
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
  • ImtheOnethatsCool
    ImtheOnethatsCool Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    2000 would still be below maintenance for me, so why not.

I'm willing to bet that 1200 is too low for you (it is for most people)
  • JuliesZenpuppy7400
    JuliesZenpuppy7400 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    For me trying to lose weight the best thing I have done is have a cheat day!! I don't usually log my food on that day and I let myself have what I want but with that said I have noticed lately that I can't handle "cheating" as much as I used to. So, I'll still have my cheat day but in moderation. Ahhhh. the life of eating healthy!!!! :wink:
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options

^ This.
  • CrankMeUp
    CrankMeUp Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options

^ This.

amen.gif
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    2000 calories is a cheat meal. 2000 calories in a day is maintenance.
  • SinomenJen
    SinomenJen Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Today I had waffles and a fruit smoothie for breakfast, oysters, cheese, crackers for lunch, homemade omg packed with everything lasagna salad and french bread for dinner, if I cared to add up the calories I would guesstimate about 2500 to 3000, I do this every couple of weeks, and lose regularly! Only thing i have noticed is on high sodium days I will weigh in about 4 to 5 lbs higher, but it all flushes out, and i am on a marathon to healthy life, not a sprint!
  • bregalad5
    bregalad5 Posts: 3,965 Member
    Options
    If you want sweets, have 'em! That's the problem with cutting things out of your diet - you go too long and you binge.

2,000 isn't a binge, and I promise you won't die or gain 500 pounds, or anything crazy like that... I eat close to that on days (today I ate over 2,000) I work because I burn so many calories on those days. Try to find your TDEE and eat based on that.. You'll likely see that 1,200 is too low. You need to find your "sweet spot" (pun intended?) and you might* even lose faster by eating more! Sounds so counterproductive but it's true :)

*doesn't work for everyone, but does for most
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    I do a maintenance day where I eat at my maintenance whenever I start feeling low.
  • kimad
    kimad Posts: 3,010 Member
    Options
    I would fathom a guess that 2000 is in and around your maintenance range... but like other posters have said, that is some people's normal daily intake. I'm willing to bet you don't notice a change from doing it.
  • ApocalypticFae
    ApocalypticFae Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I usually eat about 1200 calories a day. Is it ok to have a 2000 calorie cheat day once a week? I absolutely love sweets and cannot go a long time without eating them.

Yes. :smile: