Low Carb, High Protein - I need ideas and CONVINCING!

Options

Replies

• aaroncirilo
    aaroncirilo Posts: 23 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    research Nutritional Ketosis https://youtube.com/watch?v=KNNXrSa77qk
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options

NuttyK
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    The thing is, i'm not totally convinced that Protein is "filling"...

For many people, it's not. You'll have to try for yourself and see how your body reacts.

• IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    It's meant to be moderate protein, not high protein.

Otherwise gluconeogenesis happens and you get kicked out of ketogenesis.
  • Hemlon
    Hemlon Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    No one needs to convince you of anything. Try different approaches and find what works for you.
  • ExRelaySprinter
    ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

Well, that lady has gone too far. Only eating 15g of carbs a day is ridiculous, plus i don't want to be looking that muscular anyway! Lol
    I only want to lose about 5% Body Fat.
    I'm around 29% at the moment and want to get down to 24% (which, for my age is acceptable).
    What i'm going to do is basically cut down 50% on my Carb intake, add more Fish, Chicken & Veg to my diet and see from there.
  • jaimekbee1219
    jaimekbee1219 Posts: 96 Member
    Options

Well, that lady has gone too far. Only eating 15g of carbs a day is ridiculous, plus i don't want to be looking that muscular anyway! Lol
    I'm around 29% at the moment and want to get down to 24% (which, for my age is acceptable).
    What i'm going to do is basically cut down 50% on my Carb intake, add more Fish, Chicken & Veg to my diet and see from there.

LCHF and Keto aren't exactly the same, but you will find people who have lowered their carbs to varying degrees on the low carber forum. Some people don't consume any carbs except whatever is in their meat. We're all different. I have PCOS and am probably insulin resistant (going for blood work next month) so I have a lot of trouble losing weight just cutting calories because of how my body processes carbs and sugar. I'm new to this so I just try to stick to about 100g a day. I may cut back more at some point, but for now I feel good. Also I can still have my banana smoothies and rice if I wish.

To make it simpler, you could just make meats and veggies the larger portions on your plate, and only a small serving of whatever carb you're eating. Just changing portion sizes helped me a lot.
  • QuilterInVA
    QuilterInVA Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    It's been scientifically proven that carbs are the least satisfying food and fat and protein keep you feeling full longer. The carbs you listed are processed junk your body doesn't need.
  • QuilterInVA
    QuilterInVA Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    There are no carbs in meat. They are found in fruits and vegetables and dairy when you are low carbing. I low carb and I also have celiac disease so wheat, rye, and barley could literally kill me. Low carb diets are being scientifically proven to help those with PCOS, diabetes, epilepsy and other diseases.
  • ogmomma2012
    ogmomma2012 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Fat is also a part of the equation. Fat will help keep you satisfied as well. Do more research if you aren't convinced.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Then don't do it. Low carb/high fat/protein is for people who DON'T feel full on carbs.

Yes, i know...but for me it's more to do with lowering body fat.
    A high Carb diet (which i'm on now) isn't really going to help.

Nope..no...no..wrong

A calorie defecit will lower body fat

Whether you go high carb or low carb is down to your preference

Hit your protein and fat macros as a minimum

Protein at 0.8-1g per lb of LBM
    Fat at 0.35g per lb of bodyweight

• Sued0nim
    Options
    It's been scientifically proven that carbs are the least satisfying food and fat and protein keep you feeling full longer. The carbs you listed are processed junk your body doesn't need.

My body is clearly anti-science then
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options

Nope. Boiled potato has the highest satiety and fat is negatively associated with satiety while protein, water and fiber are positively associated.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7498104/
  • Sued0nim
    Options

Whilst I cannot tell ..if that is you in your profile you do not look 29% BF ...how are you measuring that?

Again, I'll repeat ...calorie defecit not macros is how you drop body fat
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

No.

How filling people find different foods (and specifically different macros) varies. It's ridiculous to tell people what satisfies them and what leaves them hungry as if you know better than they do.
  • Tlw83
    Tlw83 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Fat is the only thing that makes me feel full for a long period. I get hungry soon after eating meat. Water makes me want to eat more. We are all different.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

So you're saying you know what satisfies other people?

You sound ridiculous.
  • Justygirl77
    Justygirl77 Posts: 385 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I want to try lowering my Carb intake and upping my Protein.
    Basically, i'm trying a different angle to lose body fat....and lowering Carbs seems about the best way for me right now (obviously, along with exercise).
    The thing is, i'm not totally convinced that Protein is "filling", as the things that normally fill me up are Pasta, Rice and Bread!
    So i need idea's of Protein Rich foods that you guys eat to fill you up and help towards your weightloss.
    Meal ideas would be a great help! (I don't eat Eggs or drink Milk btw....so sadly, things like Omelettes are a No No :/ ).
    This is exactly how I am eating! The fat is melting off of me BTW. This is right for my body! Yes, protein and FIBER fills you up very nicely, it's pretty amazing! Check out my food diary, I eat low-carb hi protein every day. I'll be glad to share how I get there, it's not hard, just new if you've not been in the habit of eating that way.
    Currently I'm not eating dairy, grains or fruit or sugar. I'm totally happy and satisfied on my diet, it's delicious even my children love it.
    At the beginning it took me a week to adjust (sorta like I was addicted to carbs). Now it feels normal. And I check my fasting/postrandial blood sugars regularly.
    Currently my net carbs (grams of carbs - grams of fiber) is below 50g, for the time being.

• tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    I am sort of with you on this idea of protein not being the "be all and end all" for satiety. Basically I have been trying to lower carbs and up protein for awhile now. My first goal was to get protein above 75g and carbs below150g. Pretty moderate goals, really. In my initial losing phase I had totally ignored macros and just focused on cals in-cals out. I lost easily. Yes it took self control, but I never felt like I was starving or doing something crazy or anything. I just stayed within my goal and logged and ate back exercise calories. And the weight came off. Over 40 pounds. Fast forward five years, and Ive been struggling not to gain, and to lose the pounds I did gain back. (Still healthy weight but fluffier than I like).

The first time I got an inkling of the fact that protein might not be doing it for me and carbs might be important was about two months ago. I was travelling to a swim meet with my son, and because of the schedule, I knew I would not be earning any cals to eat from exercise. I knew my goal would have to be fairly low. I was worried about being hungry all the time, etc. Since I was eating with a swimmer, you know it was high carb food! Lots of pasta and subs with big fluffy bread. And all off a sudden hunger wasn't a problem! I stayed within goals without exercise calories and even lost some weight over the four days. While eating restaurant food. Anyway this got me thinking.

So my new plan is get a good bit of protein ( at least 75, trying for more), and don't worry about carbs and fat. I've been coming in around 175g or more of carbs every day, and I feel so much more satisfied! I do try to make the carbs whole grain, fruits, and veggies and stay away from processed stuff, though. And I know the protein is important because of muscle growth and retention as I lift.

I have also discovered and am treating a vitamin D deficiency, and the things I have read about vitamin D point to the fact that it has a huge impact on satiety. I've been taking supplements now per doctors instructions (really high dose) for about a month, and suddenly the hungry munchies are gone and I am satisfied with what should be a moderate amount of food for my bodyweight. And I'm finally losing again.

So I can't say for sure what exactly has happened to change my appetitie and satiety, but I do know that even before the vitamin D supplements, I was noticing a correlation for me between eating carbs and feeling fuller.

Wish I had the answers for you, but maybe my experiences will help!