Low Carb, High Protein - I need ideas and CONVINCING!

Options
13»

Replies

• ExRelaySprinter
    ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    Very interesting post TigerBlue.
    Both my Sisters are deficient in Vit D too, so that's definitely something to think about.
  • ExRelaySprinter
    edited April 2015
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    research Nutritional Ketosis https://youtube.com/watch?v=KNNXrSa77qk

Well, that lady has gone too far. Only eating 15g of carbs a day is ridiculous, plus i don't want to be looking that muscular anyway! Lol
    I only want to lose about 5% Body Fat.
    I'm around 29% at the moment and want to get down to 24% (which, for my age is acceptable).
    What i'm going to do is basically cut down 50% on my Carb intake, add more Fish, Chicken & Veg to my diet and see from there.

Whilst I cannot tell ..if that is you in your profile you do not look 29% BF ...how are you measuring that?

Again, I'll repeat ...calorie defecit not macros is how you drop body fat

Yes, it's me in the photo (i'm about 4 pounds heavier now).
    I did an online Calculator thing. This one: http://fitness.bizcalcs.com/Calculator.asp?Calc=Body-Fat-Navy

• s2mikey
    s2mikey Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    IMO, you have to be careful with cutting carbs too much. Especially if you are active which many people here are. 100-150 grams per day of carbs is the minimum I'd recommend for any active person that's doing some cardio and strength training. On my lifting days I make sure to get at least 150g of carbs if not more. On cardio days I try and hit that number too. Honestly, 200g of carbs for moderately to very active people is probably about right. Don't assume that low carb means your body will just use belly or butt fat as energy. It may NOT and instead use lean muscle for some of its energy and you don't want that!

Low carb diets are pretty effective.....but don't go all "keto" or any of that depravation stuff. ;)
  • ExRelaySprinter
    edited April 2015
    Options
    s2mikey wrote: »
    IMO, you have to be careful with cutting carbs too much. Especially if you are active which many people here are. 100-150 grams per day of carbs is the minimum I'd recommend for any active person that's doing some cardio and strength training. On my lifting days I make sure to get at least 150g of carbs if not more. On cardio days I try and hit that number too. Honestly, 200g of carbs for moderately to very active people is probably about right. Don't assume that low carb means your body will just use belly or butt fat as energy. It may NOT and instead use lean muscle for some of its energy and you don't want that!

Low carb diets are pretty effective.....but don't go all "keto" or any of that depravation stuff. ;)

Yes, i must admit - when i exercise i definitely need to have a big bowl of Pasta afterwards (Wholewheat Pasta btw). That won't change.
    But for my other Meals. i will try to 'cut down' on Carbs and replace with more Veg.
    Not sure how long it'll last though. ;)
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Hummus isn't necessarily a low-carb food. It's a very nutritious food and you may be able to find tweaked varieties that are lower carb, but a typical 1/3 cup contains 140 total calories with 16g carbs (including 4 g fiber), 4 g protein and about 8.5 g fat (unsaturated). And I'd talk to your doctor before adding a lot of saturated fat to your diet.

For protein, I eat a lot of tofu (my fav is Trader Joe's high protein organic tofu), fish (tuna, mahimahi, tilapia), jerky (chicken--only 3g carbs per serving and 16g protein), various protein powders, soy products like morning star farms and gardein, eggs and egg whites (which you said you don't eat). I love trader joe's chicken tenders. Often have them with veggies for lunch at work.

I need a little more healthy fat in my diet. I've been cooking with more olive oil (Trader Joe's makes a yummy garlic infused one) and throwing in avocado. I like smart balance light margarine for cooking. I lovelovelove peanut/almond butter.

I'm very mindful of fiber. Try to get that through veggies and beans. Some bread, some grains on occasions. I do throw in whole wheat pasta on occasion--so yummy.

For a ratio, I go for 35/35/30 (protein, carbs, fat). More like moderate carb than low carb.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    GET THIS STUFF (I get it at Costco):

http://www.comfytummy.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/black-bean-pasta.jpg

Black bean pasta, one serving (2 oz. dry) has:

180 cal
    2g fat
    17g carb
    12g fiber
    25g Protein

It tastes like pretty much nothing which is what I want in a pasta.

I am sooooooo trying this! On my shopping list! Thanks!