Runners Trots?!?! Any hints and tips to stop??

Options
I have noticed this problem increase as I increase my mileage. I've been told it's too much refined sugar in my diet, which I have cut down on dramatically, but still having a slighter issue with it.
I find it difficult to talk to people about, as find it very embarrassing. Any help gratefully received. I run my first marathon in 17 days, and hope to not have that to worry about.....

Replies

• glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    I deal with this mostly by being absolutely certain I am empty before I go run. That usually takes a good strong cup of coffee if I am headed out early in the day... I won't go until I go...

Sometimes, well...it doesn't work...

As far as marathon day, my method might be unorthodox but it seems to work at least for me. Night before I try to eat something a little greasier and spicier than usual. Good strong coffee pre-race... and well, everything comes out in the portopotty right before start.
  • marmaladepixie
    marmaladepixie Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    drinking coffee definitely aggravates my gut if i am going to be running long distance, doesn't matter if it makes me go right after, the coffee is still in the intestine and will cause trouble later. Eating a high fiber meal the day of might be problematic as well. I stick to easily digested carbs, and avoid things that might bother me anyway... acidic foods and drinks, dates and other dried fruits, and greasy foods, heavy sauces, etc. Sometimes getting a bit dehydrated or losing electrolytes can cause diarrhea during longer milage. Staying hydrated with small sips during your run can help. Sometimes I might have one of those chewable pepto tablets beforehand if i think i might have problems, and this also helps.
  • glevinso
    Options
    While I don't do this, I have heard of some runners just pulling out the big guns and taking an Imodium before a big race. Stops you up for a couple days, unfortunately, but you are significantly less likely to have *that* issue in the middle of a race you are trying to do well in.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I couldn't find anything that worked, so I gave up running (I didn't really enjoy it anyways). I don't have any issues if I walk or use an elliptical, so I subbed those exercises. Hopefully you find something that works for you.
  • elainejk75
    elainejk75 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks people, this is all helpful, especially from those who have experienced it and survived!
    I have only a few long runs, no more than 16, left so will give these suggestions a try.
    If anyone else has further experience, please keep adding.....
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,668 Member
    Options
    glevinso wrote: »
    While I don't do this, I have heard of some runners just pulling out the big guns and taking an Imodium before a big race. Stops you up for a couple days, unfortunately, but you are significantly less likely to have *that* issue in the middle of a race you are trying to do well in.

Yup, I do this. I empty as much as I can in the morning then take 2 Immodium. I may not go for 2 days after but oh well.

While training however, I either make sure my route includes bathrooms (gas stations etc), or I run along paths/ trails where I know there's a porta potty along the way.

• Ferrea
    Ferrea Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I've heard that it can help to avoid fiber for 2-3 days before a race, and I suppose that this could apply to long runs as well.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    I always drink coffee before a race. My usual food and strong black coffee 2 hours before gun and I am normally fine.
    But if its a problem overall, you might want to think about what you are eating the day before. Things greasy, high fat, and high in fiber will cause this (or you can go the opposite route like @glevinso and do that on purpose to make sure you are evacuated before the run. If you've cut down sugar (carbs), you may inadvertently be eating more fat, which could make things worse.
  • glevinso
    Options
    I have learned not to wear socks I am particularly attached to on long runs...

One time I was 12 miles in to a 17 mile run when I felt the emergency start happening. Mile 13 I was beyond desperate. I knew there was a portopotty at mile 14... but at that point it was too late...wasn't going to make it...

Into the bushes with me. No real leaves to speak of to clean up so I made the wrong decision to not sacrifice a sock and instead just get myself to the portopotty. By the time I got there...well... lets just say that sort of chafing is not fun...
  • ThickMcRunFast
    Options
    Oh, and don't be embarrassed. Every runner has a story (or 2, or 10) about the time they didn't make it. Hell, my original marathon training partner is known to all my running buddies as "my friend who pooped in a hole". And I mean, like, a pot hole not a discreet hole in the woods. Emergency pooping in odd places is just part of the fun of distance running.
  • glevinso
    Options
    My favorite was the time I was *ABOUT* to duck into the bushes, and right as I was turning a corner and starting the search for the safest place with no poison ivy, there it was: The Blue Box of Salvation. The park had put a porto-potty where there had never been one before. And it was perfect. It was clearly unused since it had been installed (had to have been the day before as it wasn't there the morning before when I ran through there). Perfectly clean.
    Options
    I have learned not to wear socks I am particularly attached to on long runs...

One time I was 12 miles in to a 17 mile run when I felt the emergency start happening. Mile 13 I was beyond desperate. I knew there was a portopotty at mile 14... but at that point it was too late...wasn't going to make it...

Into the bushes with me. No real leaves to speak of to clean up so I made the wrong decision to not sacrifice a sock and instead just get myself to the portopotty. By the time I got there...well... lets just say that sort of chafing is not fun...
    Oh that SUCKS.

A few weeks ago I was vacationing in San Diego and decided to go for a sunrise run. About 2 miles in, it hit me. Given I was running along the beach path, there was absolutely no cover for me to duck into a bush. Just as I was considering wading into the water, I noticed a park with a toilet up ahead so I ran as fast as I could. I get to the gate and it's locked. There happened to be 2 park employees emptying the trash so I ran up to one and begged him to open the gate. He told me he couldn't. I told him "look, I'm going to poop my pants, this is an emergency". His eyes widen and his supervisor just nods LOL. So we run back to the toilet and he stands at the gate while I go in. Now this is one of those concrete structures so every noise echoes, and I was explosive by this point. I come back out and the guy says "you have really nice eyes"
    ROFL. You just heard me basically explode and that's what you say? I said "thanks" and took off as fast as I could.
    Next time I stay up the night before eating nachos with jalepenos and drinking wine, going for a run the next morning will not be top of my list.

• ThickMcRunFast
    Options
    LOL.

I was doing a tempo run a few months ago, and on my last 'tempo' mile, the feeling hit. I slowed to a jog, then a walk, then the emergency duck waddle. I knew there was a ranger station with a nice, clean bathroom about a mile away, so I just focused on getting there. I was on a running path on the side of a road, and there were lots of people out. No cover. Fenced off golf course to my left, and on the other side of the road. I had to concentrate every fiber of my being on making it to that ranger station. I had already broken into a cold sweat.

I didn't make it. I did however find an opening onto the golf course, so I dove into a ravine and took shelter in the low branches of a pine tree. I was so far beyond caring who saw me.
    Options
    Oh, and don't be embarrassed. Every runner has a story (or 2, or 10) about the time they didn't make it. Hell, my original marathon training partner is known to all my running buddies as "my friend who pooped in a hole". And I mean, like, a pot hole not a discreet hole in the woods. Emergency pooping in odd places is just part of the fun of distance running.
    Exactly

• glevinso
    Options
    I don't think you can be an "official runner" until you have at least an "almost didn't make it story", if not a "nope, didn't make it story" :)
  • LoneWolfRunner
    LoneWolfRunner Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    My worst was having to find a respectful place in the middle of a large cemetery...
  • glevinso
    Options
    That's awesome... I would probably try to find a spot behind one of those larger mausoleum type things... I figure "behind" it wouldn't be so bad...
    Options
    These stories are making my day. Too funny.
  • LoneWolfRunner
    LoneWolfRunner Posts: 1,160 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    That's awesome... I would probably try to find a spot behind one of those larger mausoleum type things... I figure "behind" it wouldn't be so bad...
    That was exactly my last desperate thought as I whispered a relieved apology....
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    I am a distance runner with Crohn's disease, so, yeah, I got stories.
    FWIW, I am with glevinso in that I try and make sure I am good and ready before I head out the door and usually that is aided by a cup of coffee or two.