Runners Trots?!?! Any hints and tips to stop??

Options

Replies

• jchite84
    jchite84 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I've been lucky in that every time it's hit me I've been close enough to home that I could just penguin walk the rest of the way. I'm not looking forward to the day I'm too far from home, but I know it's coming one day. One. Day.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,668 Member
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »
    I am a distance runner with Crohn's disease, so, yeah, I got stories.
    FWIW, I am with glevinso in that I try and make sure I am good and ready before I head out the door and usually that is aided by a cup of coffee or two.
    Oh my. That's a terrifying combination.

• ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    jchite84 wrote: »
    I've been lucky in that every time it's hit me I've been close enough to home that I could just penguin walk the rest of the way. I'm not looking forward to the day I'm too far from home, but I know it's coming one day. One. Day.

On my 30th birthday, i was in Colorado for work, and I treated myself to a morning trail run.

Lets just say there was a point where I resolved "NO. This will not be the day. I will not poop myself the day I turn 30". I found a suitable shrub. Later a work colleague said 'oh I saw you out running today!". I turned white as a sheet.
  • teacton11
    teacton11 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Few things I've learned from experience.
    1. Don't inhale a huge meal of carbs the night before a long run. Smaller meals a few days out are just fine IF you are going to carb load your long runs.

2. Wake up at least 2 hours before your run and eat something small immediately. Gets things a moving before you get out there.

3. NSAIDS..among other huge reasons of why you shouldn't take them on long runs also can wreck havoc on your stomach.

4. Electrolyte imbalance. keep ya shiot in tune. If you are a heavy sweater then this may mean supplementing with S caps or other salt pills.

5. Don't make it a self-fulfilling prophecy.
  • LoneWolfRunner
    LoneWolfRunner Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    I find that carrying TP is a slam dunk guarantee I won't have to go. The day I forget it and get about 6 miles from home, it's "Hello!"
  • elainejk75
    elainejk75 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    teacton11 wrote: »
    Few things I've learned from experience.
    1. Don't inhale a huge meal of carbs the night before a long run. Smaller meals a few days out are just fine IF you are going to carb load your long runs.

2. Wake up at least 2 hours before your run and eat something small immediately. Gets things a moving before you get out there.

3. NSAIDS..among other huge reasons of why you shouldn't take them on long runs also can wreck havoc on your stomach.

4. Electrolyte imbalance. keep ya shiot in tune. If you are a heavy sweater then this may mean supplementing with S caps or other salt pills.

5. Don't make it a self-fulfilling prophecy.

• elainejk75
    Options
    What are NSAIDS?
  • elainejk75
    Options
    At last I don't feel alone!!
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    elainejk75 wrote: »
    What are NSAIDS?
    Non-Steroidal Anti Inflammatory Drug. IE Advil, Aleve...
  • elainejk75
    Options
    Thanks glevinso, only new to this game.
  • LoneWolfRunner
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Non Steroidal Anti Inflammatorry Drugs.... i.e. Ibuprofen (Motrin), Acetaminophen (Tylenol), Alleve, etc....

And Teacton is right... not a good thing to take any of those before a long run
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    They never bother me but many people report stomach issues after taking them.
  • LoneWolfRunner
    Options
    They don't bother my stomach and I used to take them until I read they can give old guys like me respiratory/cardiac problems. I really don't mind if I would vapor lock out on the trails, but my wife would probably be pissed if she had to pay someone to lug me nine or ten miles out of the woods...
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Non Steroidal Anti Inflammatorry Drugs.... i.e. Ibuprofen (Motrin), Acetaminophen (Tylenol), Alleve, etc....

And Teacton is right... not a good thing to take any of those before a long run
    Acetaminophen is not an NSAID. People with digestive issues are advised against taking NSAIDs, but it is safe to take acetaminophen. However, I would still avoid taking it before a run.
  • LoneWolfRunner
    Options
    See? You can learn something valuable on the forums...lol... I didn't know that about acetaminophen. That's for the correction... I hate to be spouting bullshlt for no real reason... :)
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    See? You can learn something valuable on the forums...lol... I didn't know that about acetaminophen. That's for the correction... I hate to be spouting bullshlt for no real reason... :)
    but what if you HAD a really good reason???
  • Curtruns
    Curtruns Posts: 510 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    fhcxlmg2hl9c.jpg

why would anyone let a little poo stand between them and victory?
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,668 Member
    Options
    ^^ Oh my goodness. I'm not that dedicated *hangs head in shame*
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    And that was for a half marathon. C'mon dude! Just hit the bathroom. You can run another one in two weeks.
  • LoneWolfRunner
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    but what if you HAD a really good reason???

Then the BS would be flying like rain...