Dr. Oz is full of it too

Options
DaneanP
DaneanP Posts: 433 Member
edited April 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
http://factually.gizmodo.com/doctors-ask-columbia-university-to-fire-dr-oz-because-1698227881/+kcampbelldollaghan

Dr. Oz is full of it. He peddles garbage advice on his garbage TV show. And that's not just my opinion. It's science! Science which tells us that Dr. Oz gives advice that's baseless or wrong about half the time. But now his peers in the medical community are speaking out.

Astoundingly, Dr. Oz is the vice chairman and professor of surgery at Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons. Which are prestigious positions at a prestigious institution. But should someone whose promotes ridiculous weight loss cures and anti-GMO hogwash really hold these positions? A new letter addressed to the dean of the medical school at Columbia University says no.

As Skepchick reports, a group of esteemed doctors have finally had enough. Their letter to Dr. Lee Goldman, the dean of the Columbia University medical school appears below.

Dear Dr. Goldman:

I am writing to you on behalf of myself and the undersigned colleagues below, all of whom are distinguished physicians.

We are surprised and dismayed that Columbia University's College of Physicians and Surgeons would permit Dr. Mehmet Oz to occupy a faculty appointment, let alone a senior administrative position in the Department of Surgery.

As described here and here, as well as in other publications, Dr. Oz has repeatedly shown disdain for science and for evidence-based medicine, as well as baseless and relentless opposition to the genetic engineering of food crops. Worst of all, he has manifested an egregious lack of integrity by promoting quack treatments and cures in the interest of personal financial gain.

Thus, Dr. Oz is guilty of either outrageous conflicts of interest or flawed judgments about what constitutes appropriate medical treatments, or both. Whatever the nature of his pathology, members of the public are being misled and endangered, which makes Dr. Oz's presence on the faculty of a prestigious medical institution unacceptable.

The letter was signed by ten doctors from places like Stanford University, the American Council on Science and Health, and the University of California, San Diego. It's unclear how Dr. Goldman will respond, let alone whether he'll do so publicly. But at the very least this letter helps publicize the fact that Dr. Oz continues to peddle garbage.

You'd think that having to testify in front of Congress and admit that much of what you say on your show has no science to back it up would've done that already.

Replies

• PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    10/10 would bang that letter.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Yeah, this is common knowledge around here. Hopefully Columbia will do the right thing.
  • DaneanP
    Options
    I want to post this every time I see a thread about the miracles of apple cider vinegar.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    Well, he's a good surgeon (apparently), he just shouldn't have any business talking about nutrition.
  • jenncornelsen
    jenncornelsen Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    i used to watch his show back when it first came out and he wasn't promoting some fad diet every week. now anytime i hear his name mentioned i simply tune out. why would he honestly want to completely ruin his reputation like that? he was already making good money. was it really worth the extra? guess only he knows
  • BigLifter10
    BigLifter10 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    I watched at first too, but then it was all about supplementing and if I took everything recommended, there would be no other time during the day to do anything else. I am wondering if it is like a Dr. Phil thing (start with Oprah, then kind of fade away and now he seems to be doing more of a Jerry Springer style of show with putting it all out there and letting it fall).

Other than that, I know nothing about them professionally and if they are any good. I just hope they get a chance to redeem themselves if warranted. Don't want to pounce on the 'get 'em' bandwagon.

• helenarriaza
    helenarriaza Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    My grandma swears by that show. I end up fighting with her so I won't bother to show her this.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    I used to watch it early on, but not anymore. I just don't believe in what he promotes.

Love the letter, especially because it was written by medical professionals.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,668 Member
    Options
    It astounds me that he's gotten away with his BS for so long.
  • Talan79
    Talan79 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Green coffee bean and raspberry ketones are bs too.
    http://www.newsmax.com/t/newsmax/article/630396
  • crazyjerseygirl
    crazyjerseygirl Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    Ah, another POS from the Oprah bandwagon.
    He stopped being a good surgeon when he started peddling junk. Now he's just a quack.
  • crazyjerseygirl
    crazyjerseygirl Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    Also this is why we need to give the FDA power over supplements. "Natural" companies scared voters off back in the...90s? By suggesting that the govt would take away your vitamins

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IV2olDA0w8U

Ahh yes. The FDA. Protecting us from *kitten* that don't work.
  • DaneanP
    Options
    So to add to the ridiculousness - full well knowing the censors would take out the "profane" word in the title and the body of the post (which I was not the author of but gave full credit to), I got a warning for this thread. Can you believe it?
  • StephenCyrus
    StephenCyrus Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    This is America... nothing surprises me anymore...
  • Dave55412
    Dave55412 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    He's a quack. He'll endorse anything that pads his bank account.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    DaneanP wrote: »
    So to add to the ridiculousness - full well knowing the censors would take out the "profane" word in the title and the body of the post (which I was not the author of but gave full credit to), I got a warning for this thread. Can you believe it?

Ridiculous. But, be cautioned, you may get another one for daring to mention the first.

It's a bit like living in Nightvale -- if you see something, say nothing, and drink to forget.
  • beachhouse758
    beachhouse758 Posts: 371 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Dave55412 wrote: »
    He's a quack. He'll endorse anything that pads his bank account.

This.

EDITED to add: which doesn't make him much better than a lot of other (non-famous) doctors that take bribes from pharmaceutical companies without regard to treating the whole person. It's all about the money: "Celebrity" doctors, Physicians getting bonuses and prizes under the table from pharmaceutical companies, diet fads...they are all the same. The only way to stay afloat is to educate yourself, take care of your health and become your own health advocate---but I digress.

• peter56765
    peter56765 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Even if Dr. Oz did want to do the right thing and inform the public about health issues, there is simply no way to perform the due diligence needed to verify the various claims his guests make and still be able to produce an hour long, daily show. Scientific inquiry takes time and costs money.

Someone upthread mentioned Jerry Springer. That's not far off the mark. Every day Springer showcases a circus full of freaks claiming all sorts of ridiculous things. Anyone who has watched the show more than five minutes knows it's all a bunch of scripted fake baloney. There just aren't that many lesbian, stripper, Mormons out there who are sleeping with their step sister and her daughter and the daughter's boyfriend. It's all made up, partially because there just isn't enough time to find and validate the stories of actual weirdos out in the real world, so instead it's just a melange of bad acting, faux outrage, staged fights. Dr. Oz is doing the exact same thing, but with snake oil salesmen. He's the National Enquirer of health news.
  • grandma107
    grandma107 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Dr. Phil is NOT like Jerry Springer......
    Dr. Phil helps people with treatment etc. Jerry Springer is just an embarrassment. Blessings.
  • 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    Also this is why we need to give the FDA power over supplements. "Natural" companies scared voters off back in the...90s? By suggesting that the govt would take away your vitamins

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IV2olDA0w8U

Ahh yes. The FDA. Protecting us from *kitten* that don't work.

I can't see videos at work, but I really hope this is the commercial with Mel Gibson about the government storming his house in the dead of night to take his vitamins.