Financially prepared?

Options

Replies

• melfitnesspal13
    melfitnesspal13 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Not sure where you live but if you live somewhere where they have a food pantry you could register and get some free food. The one in my church gives fresh/frozen meat, sauces, often they have fresh veggies/fruit, all sorts of good stuff. If you are lazy then you are probably purchasing pre-cooked food, big mistake. Tons of cooking videos online, no need to say you can't cook. Sounds like you may not be ready to start your journey yet......
  • aFootballLife25
    aFootballLife25 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I definitely spend less when eating healthy and on a cutting diet.
  • aFootballLife25
    aFootballLife25 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    And yeah, start fkn cooking. Meat and veggies.
  • gracetillman
    gracetillman Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    If you are used to eating large quantities of cheap food, you might see an increase in your overall grocery budget when you switch to healthier foods

or

(And this is what happened to me)

When I stopped buying all the processed foods and no packaged "diet" products -- I now buy whole foods -- mostly organic -- and I cook a lot more but I am enjoying what I eat a lot more!! My family appreciates it too!!' I have swapped out the cookies for fruit -- frozen meals for leftovers of great dinners --

My grocery budget stayed the same.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,095 Member
    Options
    It has not cost me any money to lose weight.

I am eating less in general and eating healthier food - generally speaking, fruit and veg are cheaper than meat - and plain basic foods like rice, bread, eggs etc are not expensive - you must be eating now, so I dont think the food you change to will be any dearer.
    Plain tap water is free. You cant get a cheaper drink than that.

Sure, gym memberships are dear and sports shoes are dear - but you must own a pair of shoes of some sort that you can walk in and you can do exercise DVDs in your own house.

And if you don't have a job, you don't have the 'no time to cook' excuse.

Sorry OP, this is a really poor excuse to do nothing.
  • JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    You joined in March and haven't done anything yet?
    If you had filled out your profile, started logging your food, paid attention to what the numbers add up to, you could have lost at MINIMUM 6-10 pounds by now. Many people have lost 20-30 pounds since March.

This site is FREE
    Walking is FREE
    You have to eat anyway, just eat less of what you are already eating and SAVE MONEY.

Just DOOOO IIIIITTTTTT !!!!

^ This - all of it.

I was 280 pounds on March 1st. Now, under 245.

The only thing I've bought that is related closely to weight loss is maybe a new pair of shoes after I started running.

All of this "healthy food" stuff is people's personal choices (and over time - you'll probably make some healthier choices too) - but to lose weight, just eat less of what you already eat.

So, if anything - it will be cheaper as your food will last longer. (I've noticed that a bag of chips takes _forever_ to eat when you eat appropriate portions.)

Even the exercise is a choice (although, again, over time you'll probably start). I'd lost almost 30 pounds before I started exercising.
  • gregpack
    gregpack Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    So for now I guess I'll just do my best to log in every day of what I eat, drink more water and try and go for a walk for half an hour.

Big first steps right there. If you log honestly you'll see where the excess calories come from and will find ways to trim them down. Most people would lose weight if they walked, didn't drink their calories, and cut the majority of bread out of their diet.
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    Not sure if it's been recommended yet but get your information into MFP and start tracking what you're eating now. Whether you start making changes or not just tracking everything you eat is helpful. Weigh and measure your portions for accuracy. What to eat can be a huge debate. Personally I'd suggest just focusing on serving sizes of the things you're eating now to cut back without feeling deprived. Consider little changes you can make that won't be overwhelming.

For exercise walking is great and it's free.
  • Gidzmo
    Gidzmo Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    I honestly don't know where to start. I don't really know what healthy food I need to eat. And I don't know what kind of exercises I should be starting out with.

Exercise: walking is always free. All you need is a good pair of shoes. A dog or walking buddy is optional.

Food: veggies and fruits are good. Also whole grains for your breads, cereals, and pastas as often as possible.
    Water as often as possible.

Hope that helps!
  • AleciaG724
    AleciaG724 Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    Eat less. Move more. Start now. Cost = nothing!
  • alisonlynn1976
    alisonlynn1976 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    I spend less money on food now than I used to. I have spent on weights and workout clothes, but those are not necessities. There are plenty of ways to exercise for free.
  • foxys_mum
    foxys_mum Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    It is sooo much cheaper to buy base ingredients & cook healthy foods.. As for exercise all you need is a good pair of trainers or walking shoes and off you go. These can be saved for whilst saving money on crap foodstuff!
  • shadowkat57
    shadowkat57 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    You sound a bit depressed, mate. Are you ok? I understand your lifestyle - I've been there, and my chronically depressed partner is still there.
    To the best of your ability, you need to take some control over your life. Set yourself a schedule, work out a routine - wake up at the same time each day, eat small regular meals, take regular exercise. Set yourself small, achievable tasks - maybe vacuum Monday, clean toilet Tuesday etc. Set a time each day to exercise. Make yourself interact with people occasionally. Take up a hobby. You need to give your life some purpose.
    PM me if you want, or send a friend request.
  • CristyMusicLovr
    CristyMusicLovr Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Just invest in a Pam spray so that you wont fry food. Eat your regular stuff, just use less mayo, use less of the fattier stuff. I love eggs so I buy the large carton of egg whites.
  • iggyboo93
    iggyboo93 Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Eating healthier is less expensive for me. Fast food is expensive - oatmeal, eggs, apples, salad, and vegetables are cheaper.

You can do a lot of exercise at home or outside. 30DS DVDs are $9 at Target or Walmart. Hand weights are under $20.

Think of it this way, getting fit is a lot more cost effective than shelling out for doctor visit copays and prescription meds for high blood pressure and diabetes. You have to pay out some even with insurance.
  • SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Nope, I am not financially prepared for the results of lower calories and moving more. But, it doesn't matter because I am going to keep doing the things I have started doing. I started in October didn't actually mean to but I did. Then I found this place in March and the people here are a bad influence so I started walking everyday for at least an hour my new target goal, my old goal was like 30 minutes every other day. So, a lot of my pants have become ridiculously big on me so I will need new pants soon. I think I can survive on the couple pairs of shorts I have and the couple of skirts I have for the summer though. But, by fall I will have to get new clothes for sure. I will probably end up trying Freecycle, Craigslist, and the thrift stores to get my fall wardrobe. I won't get clothes for beyond the fall and winter seasons though, because I don't know where I will be by next summer.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I haven't had turkey one time since I started. I buy chicken, pork and beef. I just don't buy the processed meats.

BACON!

BACON!

Let me add...BACON!
  • AprilRN10
    AprilRN10 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    No. Produce costs more, but if you are eating less and healthier (less meat, processed stuff, etc.) then it is cheaper. The only plan you really need is that you are going to do it. Use MFP and get to it! :)
  • kitza101
    kitza101 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    You sound a bit depressed, mate. Are you ok? I understand your lifestyle - I've been there, and my chronically depressed partner is still there.
    To the best of your ability, you need to take some control over your life. Set yourself a schedule, work out a routine - wake up at the same time each day, eat small regular meals, take regular exercise. Set yourself small, achievable tasks - maybe vacuum Monday, clean toilet Tuesday etc. Set a time each day to exercise. Make yourself interact with people occasionally. Take up a hobby. You need to give your life some purpose.
    PM me if you want, or send a friend request.

This.

Please feel very welcome to friend me. It helps to have people to talk with and share these things with - I am a lot more motivated since I found friends than I was when I was doing it all by myself.