Do you get tired of eating?

At 9:22pm last night I found myself needing another 500 cals to meet my daily quota (and that's only to gain 1 lb/week).

I try to eat every 2 hours, usually 5-6 meals, and it feels like a full-time job plus overtime. It's real life stuff.

It's one thing to get 1,000 cals from a take-out, but preparing healthy food at home and trying to gain weight is almost insanity. There's so much more volume. I'll be plowing through a meal and be like, "how is this only 450 calories? bro lol".

How many meals do you eat? How often do you eat?

Do you ever sit down to eat but you're already satiated to begin with? lol

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    When I did my bulk I ate a lot of healthy foods to make sure I got my nutrition...but once nutritional requisites have been met, you don't get extra credit...eat some ice cream for desert...have a beer...etc, etc, etc.

You want to hit your nutrition, but at some point it simply becomes about getting those calories in...and to do that consistently, it's likely you're going to have to let go of some pre-conceived ideas that you need to eat 100% "clean" on your bulk.
  • nerdygymrat9
    nerdygymrat9 Posts: 163 Member
    Yeah that is what I fear happening to me once the semester ends. I am fortunate that the dining halls here have so much food that I can just select it without having to take a long time preparing it. However, once this semester of college is over, I go home and my choices are significantly more limited so getting calories in to meet nutritional requirements will be a challenge, let alone hitting my calorie limit.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    At 9:22pm last night I found myself needing another 500 cals to meet my daily quota (and that's only to gain 1 lb/week).

I try to eat every 2 hours, usually 5-6 meals, and it feels like a full-time job plus overtime. It's real life stuff.

It's one thing to get 1,000 cals from a take-out, but preparing healthy food at home and trying to gain weight is almost insanity. There's so much more volume. I'll be plowing through a meal and be like, "how is this only 450 calories? bro lol".

How many meals do you eat? How often do you eat?

Do you ever sit down to eat but you're already satiated to begin with? lol

I don't have much of an appetite, but I try for nutrient-dense foods occasionally like avocados and peanut butter. Nut butters and high-fat dairy, legumes, etc are all fairy nutrient dense and higher in calories. They will help you reach calorie goals without needing to add tons of bulk to your daily intake.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    When I did my bulk I ate a lot of healthy foods to make sure I got my nutrition...but once nutritional requisites have been met, you don't get extra credit...eat some ice cream for desert...have a beer...etc, etc, etc.

You want to hit your nutrition, but at some point it simply becomes about getting those calories in...and to do that consistently, it's likely you're going to have to let go of some pre-conceived ideas that you need to eat 100% "clean" on your bulk.

^All of this
  • jpaulie
    jpaulie Posts: 917 Member
    I hear ya...Been off two weeks with a back injury but before that, trying to cram the food in is no fun. Have to eat early to get all the cals in. If not it is a lot of work at the end of the day. i eat about 5 times a day. Started moving my dinner to breakfast (train at 11:30am) and get a bunch of calls over and done with. Need to up my fat a lot when i start back tomorrow. Wasn't eating nearly enough fat. like @mccindy72 says, those are the foods you need
  • bulk_n_cut
    bulk_n_cut Posts: 389 Member
    bro toss some heaping spoonfuls of peanut butter, ghee, avocados, walnuts, pistachios and ice cream into your protein shake BAM its like 2300 calories before you know it
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    How many calories are you eating to get bored of it?
  • Karabobarra
    Karabobarra Posts: 782 Member
    Yes! I get tired of prepping and eating. I am trying to lose weight but I am really trying to eat clean, I have a hard time eating 1300 calories in a day and sometimes I think I would have so much more time in the day if I didn't have to prep food and eat at all. (which is actually pretty easy for me to do) but it won't help me reach my goals.

I keep looking for the shortcuts also, looking for processed items that fit into my eating requirements but processed food just doesn't fit at all.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Yes! I get tired of prepping and eating. I am trying to lose weight but I am really trying to eat clean, I have a hard time eating 1300 calories in a day and sometimes I think I would have so much more time in the day if I didn't have to prep food and eat at all. (which is actually pretty easy for me to do) but it won't help me reach my goals.

I keep looking for the shortcuts also, looking for processed items that fit into my eating requirements but processed food just doesn't fit at all.

Please see my post above. And eating 'clean'? Not necessary. And define 'processed'. Dairy is processed. Frozen food is processed. Be careful with your wording.
    Eating 'clean' (if by that you mean eating mostly whole fruits and vegetables, cuts of meat you cook yourself and no canned or boxed food) should not make it difficult to hit your calorie goal. As I said before, if you eat avocados, natural nut butters, whole-fat dairy, and legumes, it's quite easy to do.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    I have no issue eating.... I can out-eat my husband and always have more volume than him. I often say if I wasn't into bodybuilding and health/fitness, I'd be an awesome competitive eater
  • S4Lyons
    S4Lyons Posts: 147 Member
    @ClubSilencio dude find calorie dense foods you enjoy trust me i hate eating sometimes and its allot easier when the food your eating you can enjoy :)
  • mikeywalaszewski
    mikeywalaszewski Posts: 12 Member
    The struggle is real man, lol. I know how you feel. I've found that a more flexible eating plan is easier to stick to such as IIFYM (if it fits your macros). I eat mostly healthy, but I eat whatever it takes to hit my calorie goals. It's next to impossible to get, in my case, close to 3500 cals a day eating chicken, rice and a veggie.

Just keep at it, the longer you do it the more and more you'll be able to eat!
  • karrysalexi
    karrysalexi Posts: 62 Member
    Yes, sometimes I eat 4000 calories in a day but 3580 is my limit. I'm slowly getting used to just eating for no reason. Like I used to hesitate eating a meal when I wasn't hungry. Just yesterday I had 1300 calories for breakfast.
  • scottf4413
    scottf4413 Posts: 73 Member
    I'll tell you, I'm so in the same boat - and I only have a 2,460 intake to gain 1lb per week. I've found drinking the calories help. Last night, for example, I used 1.5 cups of 2% milk, 2 tablespoons of all natural, low fat peanut butter, 3/4 cup of low fat vanilla ice cream, a frozen banana and one scoop of whey protein mix. That was just over 1,000 calories. If you didn't use low fat I imagine the calories would be around 1,600 or so. Good luck, buddy! Keep at it!
  • karrysalexi
    karrysalexi Posts: 62 Member
    scottf4413 wrote: »
    I'll tell you, I'm so in the same boat - and I only have a 2,460 intake to gain 1lb per week. I've found drinking the calories help. Last night, for example, I used 1.5 cups of 2% milk, 2 tablespoons of all natural, low fat peanut butter, 3/4 cup of low fat vanilla ice cream, a frozen banana and one scoop of whey protein mix. That was just over 1,000 calories. If you didn't use low fat I imagine the calories would be around 1,600 or so. Good luck, buddy! Keep at it!

Shakes are our savior brethren haha.
  • Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    edited April 2015
    I’m not bulking yet, but I’ve had no appetite recently as I’m getting off a cold, so I’ve been eating wine and chocolate to meet my calories for the past couple of nights. No joke.

Shakes are a great way to get in those calories. Like… Nutella shakes. With peanut butter. And avocado. (would that even work? hmmmm)
  • Nezz123
    Nezz123 Posts: 35 Member
    Yup. I'm rarely hungry and unless I force myself to nibble all day, I have to cram eating in at night. Sometimes the act of eating is uncomfortable, even when I should be starving. What's up with that?? Eating healthy at home is tough, especially with fulltime/overtime work. So maybe try stuff you can throw together fast....

Greek yogurt, kiwis/pineapple, pumpkin seeds or other nuts (or make smoothie with spinach and milk!)
    Oatmeal with nuts/banana/kiwi
    Boiled chicken
    Raw avocado/olive oil
    Peanut butter with flaxseed

If I don't want to eat, I really don't want to cook. So it has to be quick and easy....

• 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Get all your nutrition in with the 'clean' stuff then have the 1000 cal takeaway - simple.
  • OldHobo
    OldHobo Posts: 647 Member
    I try to sympathize with folks trying to gain weight and force themselves to eat.

It eludes me, but I try. :)

o:) No jocks or skinny people were harmed in the writing of this post.
  • scottf4413
    scottf4413 Posts: 73 Member
    scottf4413 wrote: »

Shakes are our savior brethren haha.

For sure! They are becoming a large part of my diet.