Couch to 5k

Day 1 of couch to 5k (C25K)

I couldn't even finish half of it properly. I managed two sets of running before my chest started burning and I felt dizzy.

I'm way more unfit than I thought.

I walked the rest of the way.

Tomorrow will be better!

I'd ask for tips but I think I just need to keep at it and not give up just because I couldn't do it on my first day.

Replies

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Number 1 recommendation is slow down. Most people still try to do it too fast. I don't care if you are running slower than you can walk.
  • WillowThorn
    WillowThorn Posts: 37 Member
    The biggest thing for me to help improve my running was discovering that you're supposed to run at a pace where you can still carry on a conversation. I always thought you were supposed to run hard - nope! Slow down, get your heart used to carrying you at that faster-than-walking pace, and before you know it you'll be moving faster and faster and remaining completely comfortable while you do it.
  • beachhouse758
    beachhouse758 Posts: 371 Member
    Yes, slow down. Even if you are just doing a fast shuffle in the running segments it's OK. The most importance thing at this point is persistence and building endurance. The first day is always the hardest.
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    You can also repeat a week of the program until you can do it. Don't push too hard too fast and then give up thinking it will never happen.

I've recently started running after I had already been doing other cardio and some strength training. I'm a very slow runner ....very very slow and I want that slower than a turtle tshirt lol.
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Think slow jog slightly faster than your walk pace. It should be a pace you can keep abd it is mental you can push through to the stop! I am on week 5 day 3 tomorrow and if I can do it so can you! Its hard I know but you can and you will! :)
  • lisasp4
    lisasp4 Posts: 73 Member
    I thought I was going pretty slow but I guess you can always go slower :)

I'll try that tomorrow. I'm also going somewhere quieter. I don't think it helped me feeling like I was being watched by all the pro runners and traffic.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    I'd support the suggestion that you ease the pace as well.

Also https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/30-couch-to-5k-running-program-c25k
  • lisasp4
    edited April 2015
    I shall try a very slow pace tomorrow.
  • spenceeyp
    spenceeyp Posts: 12 Member
    Just keep at it! The fact you have the first day a go shows your willingness to do it!
  • pursuit95
    pursuit95 Posts: 2 Member
    i decided to walk at least 5k per day rather than run for start. Works magic and been doing that for 2 weeks now. I did 14k (day off so why not) exhausted yes, but hey there is another day tomorrow. And another 5k to go
  • lisasp4 wrote: »
    Day 1 of couch to 5k (C25K)

I couldn't even finish half of it properly. I managed two sets of running before my chest started burning and I felt dizzy.

I'm way more unfit than I thought.

I walked the rest of the way.

Tomorrow will be better!

I'd ask for tips but I think I just need to keep at it and not give up just because I couldn't do it on my first day.

The fact that you didn't quit is really most important and very admirable! I started couch to 5k a few months back and had to quit around week 5 or so due to some health problems. I am starting again with couch to 10k and the first half of it is the couch to 5k program. I'm going to send you an FR, I'm doing day 2 tonight!
  • Tubbs216
    Tubbs216 Posts: 6,597 Member
    Number 1 recommendation is slow down. Most people still try to do it too fast. I don't care if you are running slower than you can walk.
    This, again and again! I currently run at 4mph - I could probably walk faster, but at that speed I find I can chug along for 30 minutes, which is amazing to me.

• lisasp4
    I took everyone's advice to slow down and what a difference it made. I completed the whole of day 2 without stopping. It was still horrible and really hard but slowing down made it do-able.

My bum and thighs are killing me now!

Also, I noticed I hold my breath when I run which is probably why I was going dizzy. I focused a lot on my breathing which also helped me tonnes.

So proud of myself.
  • beachhouse758
    beachhouse758 Posts: 371 Member
    Yay! I'm so happy for you
  • suruda
    suruda Posts: 1,233 Member
    Nice work! The program is meant to build slowly so don't worry if you have to repeat days in the middle!
  • NanzyBoek
    NanzyBoek Posts: 151 Member
    Nice!