Eating more during your menstrual cycle, justified?

Options
I read somewhere online that said pre/during a women's menstrual cycle their metabolism is working harder and that could explain our increased hunger. I'm not saying this is even true, it may be a hack or a theory, but IF it was true, would that mean it would be okay to eat more calories pre/during our period and not gain weight?

Please bare with me, this may be a completely idiotic question but I was just curious.

Replies

• TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    I don't, generally speaking. But that's a totally personal thing. If you feel like you need to, make it work!
  • phoenixx866
    phoenixx866 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I try not to, but if I do, I try to eat at maintenance.
  • nikkinoellemary
    nikkinoellemary Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I hear what you're saying, but I don't think that's how it would actually work in real practice. XD Maybe metabolism picks up, but so do a lot of other changes that exacerbate our cravings for sweets/salts etc, doesn't it? So what we might think is actual hunger is just our hormones flouncing about sending stronger signals than usual. I know for me all I want is mocha coffee just before, but at that point neither the caffeine or the syrup is good for relieving my symptoms.

During my period for example, I'd say the safest bet is to keep at my normal deficit the best I can under the circumstances and if I messed up a bit, it's not the end of the world, but it wouldn't be under normal circumstances either.

Aw man. Wouldn't that be fun though? Maybe I wouldn't mind all the hassle every month so much if I could have extra consequence-free froyo for my troubles. XD
  • cindyangotti
    cindyangotti Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    You do not need more calories during your period. However if you want more calories just increase your workouts. Extra exercise during your period also eases cramps and moodiness.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I typically ate more just before my period. I didn't fret about it because I knew that once my period started I would have no appetite and it would all even out.
  • lydiakitten
    lydiakitten Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I hear that female caloric expenditure does not increase during or right before menstruation.

However, I personally always eat a little more the day before my period and maybe the first day or two, and I have found that it does not actually end up harming me or sticking. Perhaps because my appetite also decreases during other periods of the month and it all evens out? I wouldn't know to tell you.
  • nikkinoellemary
    nikkinoellemary Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    You do not need more calories during your period. However if you want more calories just increase your workouts. Extra exercise during your period also eases cramps and moodiness.

This! I do this all the time.

The last thing I wanna do on my second day in is move, but once I start working out I feel terrific on top of having more leeway with my cravings. It's win/win!
  • Ameengyrl
    Ameengyrl Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    It's very tough to eat at my typical deficit during my period. I usually end up at maintenance unfortunately. Still losing at a steady rate.
  • deja_blu
    deja_blu Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I usually eat more right before my cycle begins. It helps if you address your cravings early and in moderation, rather than later and indulge. I find once my cycle begins, I don't have those cravings and I have more energy to complete my workouts. (Being sleepy is part of PMS). =]

It may take a couple months to "train" your body not to overeat because of all the hormones. I wouldn't worry too much about it unless you are knocking back a large excess of calories per day.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    This topic has come up a few times.
    From what I have been able to find, there are times during the cycle that we do use slightly more calories, if I recall, it would be after your period. But there is also a time when our calorie requirement is slightly lower. So it averages out anyway.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    What's interesting is that women in cultures where this idea is not promoted do not have PMS symptoms for the most part.

Check this out:

ted.com/talks/robyn_stein_deluca_the_good_news_about_pms?language=en

I would say that it is NOT justified. I never feel the need to do it. The people that I see using this excuse the most are binge eaters.
  • Hollisamara
    Hollisamara Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Well this has confused me because I was under the impression that your metabolism slows down during menstruation. I hate periods, they're a big part of me falling off the band wagon. 2 weeks before my period I could literally eat EVERYTHING... And I hate everyone.
  • whereslisa
    whereslisa Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I have a really, really hard time the week before I start to resist cravings. I have ovarian cysts and I've wound up in the ER once before for pain so it's a terrible time for me. I did pretty good last week though the week of terror begun yesterday for me. I only went over my calories 2 days out of the week which is a really good improvement. Though last night I did have a weak moment and ate some cheeseballs and icecream... lol. Today is a better day though. Once I start I barely eat so it's never seemed to affect my weight loss, I'm super hungry the week before and allow myself to eat a bit more, then the week during (5-6 days) I barely eat. So I think it evens out.
  • justcat206
    justcat206 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    I've noticed that I have a week or so of increased appetite at a certain point in my cycle and then a week of decreased appetite later. I try to keep track of things closely enough that I can bump up my calories the week I know I'll be ravenous, and plan to eat less the week I know I won't be very hungry. I know it can lead to fluctuations, but overall my weight seems to be staying steady, and that way I don't go crazy on my munchy week.
  • ncfitbit
    ncfitbit Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    whereslisa wrote: »
    Thanks everyone! I have a really, really hard time the week before I start to resist cravings. I have ovarian cysts and I've wound up in the ER once before for pain so it's a terrible time for me. I did pretty good last week though the week of terror begun yesterday for me. I only went over my calories 2 days out of the week which is a really good improvement. Though last night I did have a weak moment and ate some cheeseballs and icecream... lol. Today is a better day though. Once I start I barely eat so it's never seemed to affect my weight loss, I'm super hungry the week before and allow myself to eat a bit more, then the week during (5-6 days) I barely eat. So I think it evens out.

This isn't your question, but I get ovarian cysts, too, that are excrutiating when they burst. Maybe talk to you doctor about it because I have found that taking the pill really helps with all my symptoms, including crazy hunger. (Don't get me wrong, I still sometimes want to eat everything in sight, but that is for other reasons. Lol.)
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    This research review is full of info about this subject. Of note:
    starting a diet following menstruation or in the late follicular phase when food cravings and hunger are less may make compliance easier. They also suggest that increasing total energy intake 5-8 days before menstruation (when hunger/energy expenditure are at their highest) may prevent a suboptimal caloric intake (which can make folks lethargic) and help with long term adherence to a diet. While I doubt most females would be willing to break their diet 5-8 days out of every month, at least raising calories slightly to avoid loss of control due to out of control hunger might be a worthwhile consideration.
  • BigLifter10
    BigLifter10 Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    Every month I end up with one full day where I just don't care. I'll eat a candy bar (king size), some soda and generally a really loaded meal (ex: deep dish pan pizza with everything). I get back to normal the next day, but I find that I have a couple of days around that time frame where it doesn't matter what I eat, it's all ok. I take advantage. Full advantage.
  • aliwhalen
    aliwhalen Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I typically ate more just before my period. I didn't fret about it because I knew that once my period started I would have no appetite and it would all even out.

This is me too. I aim to have a weekly calorie goal rather than a daily, so when I feel hungry I eat more, with the knowledge that later I won't be as ravenous and it'll balance over the course of a week.
  • snikkins
    snikkins Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    I don't usually feel any differently leading up to my period, but each is a little different. Sometimes, like this one, I just want to eat everything in sight so to speak, and others, I don't want to eat at all. So, it likely evens out in the end and I try not to worry about it top much.
  • maroonmango211
    maroonmango211 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    It may be true that metabolism increases (a SMALL percent) around that time of the month, I think most people tend to also be more slugish, sleep/sit more and possibly even not exercise as much especially with cramps and other physical PMS symptoms, so I would'nt say it means eat more, just that your body may burn the calories a little differently than the rest of the month.