Eating more during your menstrual cycle, justified?

Options
2»

Replies

• Timorous_Beastie
    Timorous_Beastie Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I don't really care whether or not there's a greater caloric need, but if a little bit of chocolate is the difference between me feeling sane or psychotic, I'll gladly lose a little less weight that week.
  • overin2015
    overin2015 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    jellytot3 wrote: »
    Well this has confused me because I was under the impression that your metabolism slows down during menstruation. I hate periods, they're a big part of me falling off the band wagon. 2 weeks before my period I could literally eat EVERYTHING... And I hate everyone.

I am dealing with this right now 2 weeks before. My ovulation time tends to be bigger gains, painful cramps and increased appetite not start of period as much. I just posted this morning an article I read about the same thing. Apparently your appetite does increase with PMS for specific reasons and there are things you can do to help combat it. Look up thread "PMS cravings good article". I really felt better after reading it. I don't know about calorie burn but I do know that I experience real hunger feelings during that time.
  • whereslisa
    whereslisa Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    overin2015 wrote: »
    Well this has confused me because I was under the impression that your metabolism slows down during menstruation. I hate periods, they're a big part of me falling off the band wagon. 2 weeks before my period I could literally eat EVERYTHING... And I hate everyone.

I am dealing with this right now 2 weeks before. My ovulation time tends to be bigger gains, painful cramps and increased appetite not start of period as much. I just posted this morning an article I read about the same thing. Apparently your appetite does increase with PMS for specific reasons and there are things you can do to help combat it. Look up thread "PMS cravings good article". I really felt better after reading it. I don't know about calorie burn but I do know that I experience real hunger feelings during that time.

The struggle is real! Haha. Whether it is actual hunger or hormone changes, it's something that I feel. It isn't an excuse or something us women make up. I have real problems with hunger during that time of the month and hate when people claim we are just milking it. Thank you, I'll look up that thread!

• Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    Yep, I was insano hungry last week, and that's pretty standard. I just went with it - ie increased my cals a bit for a few days. I think if you plan for it and do it in a controlled fashion you're less likely to go off the deep end. So you may not lose as much that week, it's not that big a deal in the grand scheme of things!

And yeah, bursting cysts suck!!
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options

It would be interesting to plot out the days when you hate everyone and see if they match up to anything over time. :)

I often hate everyone. I'm sure men have "hate everyone" moments too. It's just human, not hormonal.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    I don't know...I retain water and have an appetite like a BEAST for about a week of every month...i usually get a WOOSH when shark week is over....I just try to resist my cravings and rollwith the fluctuations...