Bananas?

13»

Replies

• Oohhlalalala
    Oohhlalalala Posts: 6 Member
    I have IBS and Bananas are a nightmare for me. They make my bowels sound like an express train & the cramps are terrible. Not sure why that happens but I avoid them at all costs.
  • Alex37166
    Alex37166 Posts: 38 Member
    I have IBS and Bananas are a nightmare for me. They make my bowels sound like an express train & the cramps are terrible. Not sure why that happens but I avoid them at all costs.

I'm sorry to hear about that. That would be horrible to experience.

• OldHobo
    OldHobo Posts: 647 Member
    edited April 2015
    What is your thoughts on Bananas and Organic Oats together?
    Bananas are great in oatmeal. Especially if you add bananas and something else like strawberries or peanut butter.
    Re organic: I'm willing to pay a little more but probably not twice and definitely not three or four times as much. I pay $1.79 / pound for bulk steel cut oats at Kroger. I was surprised to find organic steel cut oats from Bob's Red Mill website for only $2.38 a pound. That's close enough for me but when I tried to order they added $16.16 cents for shipping making it $5.01/ lb. Too much for me. Amazon sells the same Bob's Red Mill organic steel cut for $3.70 / lb. with "free" Prime shipping but that's 287% more than what I'm paying, so still too much.
    Another way of looking at it would be that Bob's organic from Amazon only cost 17 cents more per serving than the (chemical laden?) stuff from kroger and 17 cents isn't much after all. That isn't how I look at it, but it would be another way.
  • lauracups
    lauracups Posts: 533 Member
    So out of curiosity I Googled "bananas bad for diet?"....holy #&@$ ! People have lost their minds if they "the experts " think bananas are the problem! My favorite was one site touting "you won't find celebs keeping thin eating them" Like I really bleeping give a bleep over what a bleeping celeb does!!!!!
    OKAY! caffeine fueled rant over.
    If you like bananas, have a bleeping banana.
  • JessikaJacobs87
    JessikaJacobs87 Posts: 57 Member
    Soooo, I'm about to go out into my kitchen and mash up all my bananas and stick them in the freezer and just tell my husband to pick more up on the way home lol. Sounds so good!

I like to put a quarter of a banana into my morning shake. I use two large strawberries, 1/4 a banana, chocolate whey protein powder, and if I know I wont be able to eat for a while I'll add either greek yogurt or peanut butter. Really is a great way to wake up.
  • Alex37166
    lauracups wrote: »
    So out of curiosity I Googled "bananas bad for diet?"....holy #&@$ ! People have lost their minds if they "the experts " think bananas are the problem! My favorite was one site touting "you won't find celebs keeping thin eating them" Like I really bleeping give a bleep over what a bleeping celeb does!!!!!
    OKAY! caffeine fueled rant over.
    If you like bananas, have a bleeping banana.

Lauracups: I hope you enjoy your bleeping banana. ;-)

OldHobo wrote: »
    What is your thoughts on Bananas and Organic Oats together?
    Bananas are great in oatmeal. Especially if you add bananas and something else like strawberries or peanut butter.
    Re organic: I'm willing to pay a little more but probably not twice and definitely not three or four times as much. I pay $1.79 / pound for bulk steel cut oats at Kroger. I was surprised to find organic steel cut oats from Bob's Red Mill website for only $2.38 a pound. That's close enough for me but when I tried to order they added $16.16 cents for shipping making it $5.01/ lb. Too much for me. Amazon sells the same Bob's Red Mill organic steel cut for $3.70 / lb. with "free" Prime shipping but that's 287% more than what I'm paying, so still too much.
    Another way of looking at it would be that Bob's organic from Amazon only cost 17 cents more per serving than the (chemical laden?) stuff from kroger and 17 cents isn't much after all. That isn't how I look at it, but it would be another way.

OldHobo: I have bought Bob Mill's and it is expensive, and then AFTER the purchase I found out that Bob Mill's is NOT Organic as I thought. It's Organic but only to the point that it STILL can have trace amounts of Soy or Wheat in it. I was like "UGH!". I can't eat Wheat, Soy, or Refined foods (mostly), because of my Seborrheic Dermatitis becomes wicked and flares upon eating those and a few others as well.
  • tekkiechikk
    tekkiechikk Posts: 375 Member
    A banana a day keeps the leg cramps away. Seriously (guess it's the potassium).

And it's a wholesome, filling fruit. Totally worth the carbs and calories to me.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Alex37166 wrote: »
    Regular Ice Cream is loaded with junk, btw. :-)

That is a bit of a generalization.
  • Alex37166
    arditarose wrote: »

Refined white sugar, corn syrup, preservatives, etc. BUT, if you make it purely homemade and leave out the bad stuff and replace the sugar for Stevia, and replace the milk for mostly bananas, then you have a HEALTHY Ice Cream. :-)
  • Alex37166
    A banana a day keeps the leg cramps away. Seriously (guess it's the potassium).

And it's a wholesome, filling fruit. Totally worth the carbs and calories to me.

I agree, tekkiechikk!

• I use mashed bananas as a base to make cookies instead of the usual butter/sugar/eggs base. Just stir in some oats, ground flax seed and cinnamon and you're good to go :smile:
  • Alex37166
    I use mashed bananas as a base to make cookies instead of the usual butter/sugar/eggs base. Just stir in some oats, ground flax seed and cinnamon and you're good to go :smile:

Awesome! That is exactly how I do it. It works just as well, too.

• Alex37166
    edited April 2015

Refined white sugar, corn syrup, preservatives, etc. BUT, if you make it purely homemade and leave out the bad stuff and replace the sugar for Stevia, and replace the milk for mostly bananas, then you have a HEALTHY Ice Cream. :-)

Lol. I can't have Stevia because it makes my muscles cramp up. Can't have artificial sweeteners because they trigger migraines for me. And I need the milk for the calcium. I'll take the regular ice cream, please.

Wow... And I thought I had to cut so many foods from my Dermatitis and Psoriasis. Unfortunately, I love sweet things and Stevia has been my saviour for substituting processed foods.

I do love Milk, though. BUT, for me, it's Almond Milk.

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member

Well, I disagree. Stevie is kind of gross and there's nothing wrong with sugar :) And bananas have sugar. Enjoy them though! Eat one for me.
  • vfit10
    vfit10 Posts: 228 Member
    I love them specially before working out and after :)
  • Alex37166
    White Sugar and Natural Sugar - Big difference. White Sugar is highly processed. :-)
  • Alex37166
    ... And moving on to the Banana fest! :-)
  • rugbyphreak
    rugbyphreak Posts: 509 Member
    I eat 3 to 4 a week. I'm not worried about fruit sugars. I'm more worried about leg cramps at night.