Chocolate once in awhile??

Options
2»

Replies

• Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    Personally I would prefer something else, like yogurt.

Chocolate seems to be very calorie dense. Maybe that's because I prefer dark chocolate.

But still I eat chocolate every now and then. Especially since I have a freezer full of eggs from easter
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    Not only is it okay, but I'd say it's absolutely essential for long term success to eat the foods you enjoy -- in moderation, of course. Most people who try to only eat "clean" or who moralize food by categorizing it as "good" or "bad" tend to fail, because they restrict themselves too much and then they binge or they just quit because it's too hard to stick to. You're forming healthy habits for life. By all means, work the foods you enjoy into your calorie allowance.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Merkavar wrote: »
    Personally I would prefer something else, like yogurt.

Chocolate seems to be very calorie dense. Maybe that's because I prefer dark chocolate.

But still I eat chocolate every now and then. Especially since I have a freezer full of eggs from easter

I buy a bag of Ghirardelli 72% cacao squares...60 calories a piece. I usually only have it when I know ice cream will put me over.

Of course I typed this up and then remembered you aren't in the US. But I'm sure you can find something lower!
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    I have a Ghirardelli square every night. Tonight was Intense Dark Cherry Tango. 50 calories.
  • soccerkon26
    soccerkon26 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Yes it's okay :)

I eat about 400 calories worth of chocolate each day. It's my favorite food.
  • nonoelmo
    nonoelmo Posts: 3,941 Member
    Options
    I buy good quality dark chocolate and have about 90 calories worth a day -- sometimes less and rarely more but nearly every day. :)
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    http://www.med.umich.edu/umim/food-pyramid/dark_chocolate.html

What are the recommended servings per week?

Up to 7 ounces per week, average 1 ounce per day

Why choose dark chocolate?
    • Contains flavonoids called procyanidins & epicatechins; flavonoids are part of a group of antioxidants known as polyphenols and are found in a variety of foods including dark chocolate, tea, red wine, and various fruits and vegetables
    • Decreases LDL (“bad”) cholesterol oxidation
    • Reduces the risk of blood clots
    • Increases blood flow in arteries and the heart
    • May lower high blood pressure
    • Cocoa may have a beneficial effect on cholesterol levels because it consists mainly of stearic acid and oleic acid. Stearic acid is a saturated fat, but unlike most saturated fatty acids, it does not raise blood cholesterol levels. Oleic acid, a monounsaturated fat, does not raise cholesterol and may even reduce it.
    • May improve mood and pleasure by boosting serotonin and endorphin levels in the brain
    • Regular intake is associated with better cognitive performance in the elderly
    • Contains a number of minerals, including calcium, magnesium, and potassium
  • akgeenaminto
    akgeenaminto Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Just log it, yum
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    LoupGarouTFTs Posts: 916 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    wabmester wrote: »
    http://www.med.umich.edu/umim/food-pyramid/dark_chocolate.html

What are the recommended servings per week?

Up to 7 ounces per week, average 1 ounce per day

Why choose dark chocolate?
    • Contains flavonoids called procyanidins & epicatechins; flavonoids are part of a group of antioxidants known as polyphenols and are found in a variety of foods including dark chocolate, tea, red wine, and various fruits and vegetables
    • Decreases LDL (“bad”) cholesterol oxidation
    • Reduces the risk of blood clots
    • Increases blood flow in arteries and the heart
    • May lower high blood pressure
    • Cocoa may have a beneficial effect on cholesterol levels because it consists mainly of stearic acid and oleic acid. Stearic acid is a saturated fat, but unlike most saturated fatty acids, it does not raise blood cholesterol levels. Oleic acid, a monounsaturated fat, does not raise cholesterol and may even reduce it.
    • May improve mood and pleasure by boosting serotonin and endorphin levels in the brain
    • Regular intake is associated with better cognitive performance in the elderly
    • Contains a number of minerals, including calcium, magnesium, and potassium

I don't eat a lot of sugary chocolate, although I do have my sugar-free fudge-dipped vanilla wafers or sugar-free chocolate pudding almost every day. I also add unsweetened powdered cocoa to my coffee at night. I wonder if it has these same properties, even though I'm only adding a half tablespoon a day?

Edited to add:

In answer to the OP, I obviously think that having chocolate almost every day is a good thing. I don't really miss it if I don't have it, but I enjoy it when I do have it and find that indulging in it on a regular basis has actually helped me lose weight, since I don't feel the need to overeat it after having deprived myself of it for a while. Regardless of whether I have science to back me up or not, I have never felt that my efforts to lose the 60 pounds I've lost in the last year have been overwhelming or overly unpleasant, because I do indulge myself with something I enjoy.
  • ArkMom35
    ArkMom35 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    As long as you have the calories for it. I eat chocolate almost every day.
  • ExRelaySprinter
    ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I have Chocolate or some kind of Sweets (Candy) everyday!
    The Sweet i've been craving lately is the Candyland Nougat Bar (only about 140 cals).
    Don't know if you have it in the US, but my fellow Brits will know it.
    I keep it in the fridge, so it goes harder then takes longer to eat. ;)
    I keep my Chocolate in the fridge too actually.
  • crazyjerseygirl
    crazyjerseygirl Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    Is it okay to eat some chocolate or any type of sweets while on a diet trying to lose weight. I've done good & haven't touched any bad foods. Today I went for a 2 hr walk & I really craved some dark chocolate Hershey's. It says 180 cal for 5 squares. It won't throw me back somehow with my progress right? Not trying to sound dumb I just don't want to set myelf up for failure if I eat this or don't give myself sweets once in awhile. (: thanks!

Chocolate once in awhile? Chocolate all the time!

So long as it fits into your calories!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I eat chocolate (milk chocolate) everyday..and have since I joined MFP and got educated.

No such thing as bad foods...well except kale it's bad.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    lynndot1 wrote: »
    Chocolate calories are dangerous. If it has chocolate in it you need to add another digit to adjust for the bad calories, so it's really 1800 for those squares. You've been warned.

But if it's organic chocolate you can take away a digit, because organic food is always healthier. So it would be 18 instead. Makes sense, right? I hope I've cleared that up for you.

Sarcasm

even with the spoiler showing...this makes no senses...even with "sarcasm" indicated...unless my blond hair kicked in and I am just not that smart today.

• rawk_fairy_666
    rawk_fairy_666 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    i eat really good quality dark chocolate pretty much every day. i weigh out 20g and that is around 105 cals. I fit it into my calories because i really enjoy it and it makes me feel less 'hard done by' about eating less.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Is it okay to eat some chocolate or any type of sweets while on a diet trying to lose weight. I've done good & haven't touched any bad foods. Today I went for a 2 hr walk & I really craved some dark chocolate Hershey's. It says 180 cal for 5 squares. It won't throw me back somehow with my progress right? Not trying to sound dumb I just don't want to set myelf up for failure if I eat this or don't give myself sweets once in awhile. (: thanks!

do a little research...dark chocolate is actually really good for you. don't confuse nutrition with caloric density...there are any number of foods out there that are calorie bombs...but also nutritional powerhouses. Conversely, there are any number of foods out there with very few calories and also pretty well void of any actual nutrition.
  • julesxo
    julesxo Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Nope you should be fine :) I have it once in a while too.